Any suggestions?

I have sca7. I have been taking baclofen a muscle relaxer to make less tone in my legs and let’s me walk better. Is there such a thing as permanent prescriptions? If there isn’t and I am not able to visit my doctor does anyone know of an over the counter muscle relaxer?

1 Like

If you’re unable to speak to your Doctor about alternatives, speak to a Pharmacist. Always mention any other medications you are taking. And, be aware, not everything available over the counter will give the same effect as a prescription medication. :slightly_smiling_face: xB

1 Like

Our GP offers telephone consultation… perhaps this would solve your problem.

1 Like

I think that in theUS, most prescriptions expire after a year. I know it is considered unethical for doctors to prescribe narcotics without examining the patient. That may be true for other drugs, too.

I use a mail order pharmacy that contacts doctors for renewal when a prescription is expiring. Some doctors also take email requests.

To address the initial question about OTC muscle relaxants, I have no idea, but a prescription renewal may justify a doctor visit since it helps.

1 Like

I agree with Beryl. Baclofen, I believe, is addictive. Talk with a pharmacist if you can’t talk w/your doctor.

Baclofen is not considered a narcotic, although it does work on the central nervous system. It’s actually more closely related to gaba, which is a neurotransmitter. It’s not a controlled substances and it’s not considered addictive, although, keep in mind, an addict can manage to become addicted to just about anything.

In the USA the length a prescription is good before the first fill varies by state. Thirty-six states currently mandate that a non-controlled prescription cannot be filled after 1 year from the date it was issued. Idaho and Maine have extended this interval to 15 months, and Iowa to 18 months. Wyoming currently has the longest defined limitation at 2 years. Eight other states, including Alabama, California, Massachusetts, and New York, have no defined expiration limit. So, check your local state laws!

Personally, I wouldn’t trust any doctor that gives you a prescription without seeing you at least once a year. It strikes me as highly unethical to prescripe a therapy for a person you haven’t seen and had a conversation with at some point in the not-so-distant past.

Talk to your pharmacist about possible OTC to try, you never know. I would stay away from supplements though, as those are not regulated and there’s no garauntee as what dose you get per pill.

azurelle

Thanks, Azurelle. I clearly did not know all that but I am glad to know now.

Here in the UK there’s talk about using Skype for a Doctor appointment. Currently, a Nurse will triage by phone and a Doctor may return the call, which can be helpful when visiting the practice isn’t convenient. Usually, prescriptions need reviewing after a year, there are strict guidelines, so a normal appointment would have to be made. We have mail order pharmacies here too. :slightly_smiling_face: xB

In Canada it is not possible that I know of to get a prescription drug without a doctor visit (at least not legally) When I need a prescription filled, I need to make an appointment with my family doctor, neurologist or health professional provided they have prescription writing privileges. Luckily for me, my doctor conducts home visits/appointments so I never have to change out of my p.j.'s! LOL He would then assess whether a prescription is warranted. Most of the time he just faxes the prescription in so I don’t have to deal with it, and there is no chance for fraudulent activity on my part.
Most doctors are regulated under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 Canada.
It is now even possible for ND’s (naturopathic doctors) to write prescriptions under the prescription writing authority but each of these doctors must obtain permission. And may lawfully do so under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991
see http://www.ocpinfo.com/library/news/naturopathic-doctors-gain-prescribing-authority/
Failure to follow prescription guide lines by the consumer may result in fines or persecution.
One time I decided to obtain a medication from another country through a website because it was cheeper, live and learn, the parcel containing the drug was seized by Canadian Customs. And although no further action was required on my part, should I have tried to claim the goods or pursue the situation further, I would face the scrutiny of import laws and regulation and could have faced penalties.

I thought that home visits by doctors went out the same way as the rotary phone! Canada? FYI, I live in NY. They’re tough apparently. No wonder I need a passport now to visit there.

lol. I don’t know for sure, but I think my doctor visits me at home because he knows I’m not to mobile anymore. I know he’s one of the few that does house calls anymore. It’s making a comeback here especially for the elderly and disabled.