Are Neurologist's an endangered species?

When our hospital only has ONE Neurologist when there should be SEVEN per the population, I would say so.

But what do you think?

I think it must be a thankless job and very depressing dealing with so many 'vague' illnesses. Blood tests, brain scans and lumbar puncture tests rarely identity the cause of the symptoms.

Patsy

figures shown at Long Term Chronic Conditions conference in Cardiff (longer the bar the worse the figure)

457-PCNSCardiffNeurograph2011153.jpg (611 KB) 458-PCNSCardiffNeurographtext2011154.jpg (286 KB)

Not on the NHS anyway, also maybe it is too hard a subject fascinating as it is.

John "JC" Colyer said:

I think it is not as lucrative of a profession compared to the debt from schooling. There are less to take the place of those retiring.

Scary stats when you think the population is increasing and people are living longer. My Neurologist is eastern European, Where have all our grads gone? Australia perhaps? My favourite radiographer is leaving for a job in New Zealand!

Alan Thomas said:

figures shown at Long Term Chronic Conditions conference in Cardiff (longer the bar the worse the figure)

And so say all of us! I've just been in hospital for a repeat of my tests and they still can't come up with a diagnosis so I'm being sent to another hospital for a second opinion. So here I am sat twiddling my thumbs again. So what does identify the cause of the symptoms?

Patsy said:

I think it must be a thankless job and very depressing dealing with so many 'vague' illnesses. Blood tests, brain scans and lumbar puncture tests rarely identity the cause of the symptoms.

Patsy