Ataxia after stroke

Cicina, I'm glad to hear you sleep well at night, take a nap almost every day. Getting enough rest is so important. As I mentioned before, you sound like you're doing all the right things! Keep up the good work and stay positive, as it will pay off! My best to you..., ;o)

Hi Christine, I too am new here. I had a brain stem stroke 15 months ago. I have ataxia, balance problems, tremors, head bobbing, numbness all over, worst in my hands and arms and neck. Also I have double vision and have trouble focusing my eyes to read. I was in the hospital for 17 days and rehab for 6 weeks. Could still not walk when I went home, I am walking now with a balance vest and it is getting better. I have been to two neurologist and both told me I would not get any better or walk. I really think the doctors just don't know much about ataxia, so they play it safe and tell you, you won't get better. I have found that exercise and rest are key factors in how you feel and getting better. My husband takes me to the gym 5 days a week. He goes with me as my spotter so I don't fall on the treadmill or while doing my other exercises. He has been my rock since developing this illness, couldn't have done it without him. It has been quite the lifestyle changer.

Sandra