DANCE TO IMPROVE YOUR WELL-BEING even with ataxia or spasticity

Yes you can danse to improve your well-being even with ataxia or spastic paraplegia.

Try this tutorial with videos of increasing difficulties and give your opinion on the web site.

By Lucy Vincent et Alexandra Durr (ICM, Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital, Paris)

LINK: https://www.clickanddance.com/videos

:slightly_smiling_face: I hate monotonous exercise, no matter how good it is for me, dance is much more appealing despite the fact that I have little coordination or real rhythm anymore. I watched these videos and tried the movements. They look so easy, but are in fact more challenging than they appear. My balance is compromised when I take one foot off the floor, especially if I’m not holding onto something, so it’ll be a case of practice, practice, practice :dancer: :wink: xB

Alan, thanks so much for finding and sharing great articles and research! jd

I had some physiotherapy for balance. She taught me the grapevine dance. It involves moving to one side so have plenty room. Begin by making yourself a cup of tea, but don’t drink it yet - and two biscuits (optional).

Stand straight
Cross your left foot across and in front of your right foot. Bring your right foot across and behind your left foot
To a normal standing position. Then a bit different:
Cross your left foot across and behind your right foot.
Bring your right foot across and in front of your left foot
To a normal standing position
Repeat (moving right each time)
Do the same in reverse moving left
Till you’re back where you started.
Collapse into favourite chair and have your tea.
Impossible? Maybe. But if you can do two steps today, you might be able to do three tomorrow … Within a few months you’ll be ready for ‘Strictly’.

1 Like

I’ll never be a contestant on Strictly, but I’ll give this a go :wink: xB