I have ataxia what stage at the mo im not sure yet

I'm glad you found it helpful Jeannie!

not sure they have answers because were all different

Hi, I have what u have.I have no idea what the future holds. I was told about 5 yrs ago the damage is done.You'll be ok. But slowly and surely I've been seeing a change.I've been told and am seeing with my own eyes that the more I walk and work out the slower it's progressing.I'm going to uoI hospitals on my Birthday. Which is in a couple of wks. To see a Nueroligist. Yes I am a little scared, but I believe I'll be ok.I have found we Ataxians know more about this illiness then most Drs. do. Even my Dr, agree's. Eat healthy, drink lots of water, and do stretches, and better yet walk if you ccan.And be around supportive people.Kale they say is the best veggie to eat.Stay strong my Ataxian.

Hi Lisame how are you

I wrote in before, but wanted to add something to this discussion, as you (Paul) asked if you should have a brain scan. I have sporadic cerebellar ataxia (non-hereditary/unknown cause) and yes, an MRI (brain scan) is a good idea, as it will show atrophy in the cerebellum, which causes symptoms of ataxia. A persons cerebellum is responsible for balance etc. When I was diagnosed, other things were ruled out such as a brain tumor, stroke, multiple sclerosis etc. I've had ataxia for 8 years now and have had 2 MRI's thus far. The first showed atrophy in my cerebellum (hence my ataxia diagnosis) and the 2nd showed more atrophy. Initially, it was a process of elimination to diagnose my ataxia. Like I mentioned before, the things that help me the most are exercises for strength in muscles and core and balance, eating healthy and getting enough rest. Of course, everyone is different in this journey, therefore I am only speaking for myself! Ataxia is challenging but the upside I believe, is the saying, we (I) may have ataxia, but it doesn't have us (me)!!! I repeat this to myself constantly...ha! Best wishes Paul and update your progress please!

I want to second this - an MRI is a good idea! I was diagnosed after the MRI was done - like rose, the MRI revealed atrophy in my cerebellum. I've had a second one recently - the SCA is progressing slowly as there was no major change in the two MRIs.