Vigorous Hand Tremors

Ozzy, it is called the curse of the white shirt. It attracks all sorts of colorful foods… :slight_smile: I have a bit of this problem too.

I’m okay ish. Not been on here too much lately I’ve had some personal family problems that have not really helped the Ataxia and I’m day one of a 14 day programme to detox myself from alcohol and pain killers so life is going to be a little stressful in the next few weeks but I have to do it as the alcohol makes my Ataxia worse and the worse I get the more depressed I get and the more alcohol i have.
I have 3 lovely boys and a loving wonderful husband, a good job a lovely home that is being adapted for me I’m so lucky to have it but I can’t stop feeling sorry for myself. I have just spoken to my cousin who is 3 weeks younger than me and she has terminal cancer and it kinda puts my Ataxia to shame. What a selfish ungrateful cow I have been and how lucky I am that my illness isn’t terminal but I’m making it worse by drinking heavily, and letting my kids see me at my worst. But, I’m going to do it and start my new Ataxian life awes. Just wish me luck. I bet your wish you’d never asked how I was Cicina lol. Xx

Cicina said:

Well, no yawning then! :slight_smile:
I once slapped my husband when trying to put my hand on his cheek! Lots of laughing!
How are you Bev?

get a new neurologist that will work with you! Ataxias are hard enough to deal with. You don't need a neurologist working against you. If you can't use one medication then is there another? Try the others, if they don't work the insurance company may approve the Levodopa/

gelu65 said:

How do you get a neurologist to try levodopa, I asked to try it to see if it would help what I perceive as bradykinesia and was told I do not have parkinsons so I could not get this med. I walk now very short steps or feel glued to the ground, I walk in slow motion very slow like a sloth, Im just not as cute. The doctor wont use meds as diagnostic tool to find out if you can be helped or not. I don't have tremors but do have shakes in some types of movement in my left hand.

Believe it or not, Bev, I am glad I asked :slight_smile:
You need someone to shake you up and I have decided it would be me. :slight_smile:
You are much too hard on yourself. It is good to put things into perspective, but your friend illness does not make yours less important. You are dealing with a very difficult to fight disease, so you are allowed to feel sorry for yourself once in a while…as long as you do not drown into self-pity for too long. You have a tremendous sense of humor(everyone on this site knows it), so use this humor as much as you can.

You have made the most important step, which is recognizing your drinking problem.
So I wish you the very best. I am sure it will not be easy, but you are a strong woman with a good supporting family, so here is to you Bev. Good luck and spirits high!
Take care and come and make us laugh once in a while. We all need each other on this earth!

Cicina

Beverley - GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! Sometimes we need to have things put in perspective to figure out what we need to do. I know people say diet and exercise, but I know from experience (I never exercised in my life) it helps to keep moving (it doesn't matter what it is). I am currently doing Occupational therapy, speech therapy and physical therapy. I was VERY surprised at some of the things they found. After your detox you might want to start here. It's easier to exercise when you know what to work on.

Beverley said:

I'm okay ish. Not been on here too much lately I've had some personal family problems that have not really helped the Ataxia and I'm day one of a 14 day programme to detox myself from alcohol and pain killers so life is going to be a little stressful in the next few weeks but I have to do it as the alcohol makes my Ataxia worse and the worse I get the more depressed I get and the more alcohol i have.
I have 3 lovely boys and a loving wonderful husband, a good job a lovely home that is being adapted for me I'm so lucky to have it but I can't stop feeling sorry for myself. I have just spoken to my cousin who is 3 weeks younger than me and she has terminal cancer and it kinda puts my Ataxia to shame. What a selfish ungrateful cow I have been and how lucky I am that my illness isn't terminal but I'm making it worse by drinking heavily, and letting my kids see me at my worst. But, I'm going to do it and start my new Ataxian life awes. Just wish me luck. I bet your wish you'd never asked how I was Cicina lol. Xx

Cicina said:
Well, no yawning then! :-)
I once slapped my husband when trying to put my hand on his cheek! Lots of laughing!
How are you Bev?

Dear Bev, We are all rallying for you!!! Although you may not feel this way now, it takes a very strong person to admit what they need to do to help themselves! I admire you for that! KUDOS to you! Ataxia is extremely frustrating and challenging, but you're in a safe place on this site, filled with people who deal with some of the same things as you do...,so we understand! Sounds like you have a wonderful, supportive family, so that's a positive! And, yes, as Cicina said, you have a great sense of humour! Ataxia doesn't define you as the lovely person you are (it took me along time to realize that, myself...,ha!). So, keep on keeping on...,I/we're behind you %100!!! Hugs, Rose ;o)

Hi, To me it sounds like a myoclonus. I have it in both arms body and legs. I have had several mini strokes which may have contributed to mine. I was initually given a dx od peripheral neuropathy, but as it stands right now and further testing, I have Friedriech's ataxia and parkinson's disease. Keppra helped with the shaking. Some people can tollerate it and some can't. Clonazapam helps makes makes you feel mentally foggy. For mr the Keppra and Cardopa/levadopa help the most for know.

Thanks for your support its been like a whole year But I’m only on day 4. Still, I haven’t have a drink and I’m very proud of myself. I just need to give up the chocolate and I’ll be laughing. Xxx

Bev, What do you mean give up chocolate? That would be torture. They now say that chocolate is good for you (as long as you eat the dark kind…) so be good to yourself and allow yourself to eat a little square everyday, a tiny bite at a time to make it last longer… :wink:

Good luck, Beverley, hang in there! We are thinking about you. Take care and keep posting and no matter what, keep your sense of humor:-). It will carry you a long way.

..Give up chocolate ????!!!@!!

..One day at a time,well done Bev.The Ataxia will greatly improve,that's for sure.Did with me >>>>