Addressing this for All who replied about my Where is everyone Statement

Hi Patsy!

Don't get me started about putting on weight!

Before my daughter got married in February, I managed to get a grip and kept my weight

on a reasonably even keel, well I needed to get into a decent outfit didn't I?

Since then, it's been downhill rapidly, the pounds have crept on and it's got to the point

where I hardly recognise myself. Maybe that's a bit strong but I'm sure you'll get the

picture.

Last week I was in Waitrose (supermarket) and managed to pick some chocolate up and

then put it back. At the checkout I was given an duty free size Toblerone, free because I'd

spent £X! I don't usually eat these, but it's almost all gone!! xBeryl

Patsy said:

I find these discussions very thought provoking.. just when I think I understand something, someone will give a different angle which makes a lot of sense.

My husband is working away today [normally works from home] and it surprises me how much I can do when he isn't here - he is always making me drinks and telling me to put my feet up plus the 'treats'. I need to lose weight or at least not put more on but who can resist chocolate, biscuits, icecreams etc when handed to you!

I find that if I focus on others more than myself, I feel more positive and in control.

My husband is 72 years old, has to keep working to maintain our modest lifestyle - he has to inject for his diabetes and has intermittent knee pain from floating cartilage. We look after each other.

We never expect anything from our three sons who have their own families and just make the most of anytime we have with the grandchildren.

If I feel unable to walk or even 'stand', I get on my computer and chat with friends.. some of whom I have never met.

Thank God for computers.

Patsy x

Yes.. weight control .. with so many restrictions on life, how can we resist the wrong food!!!

I have such admiration for those on gluten free diet.

I worked out that I have put on one stone every 10 years since I was 20 which doesn't sound much but... I am now 70 years and trying not to reach 11 stone.

Sorry to say I got there first Patsy!

Patsy said:

Yes.. weight control .. with so many restrictions on life, how can we resist the wrong food!!!

I have such admiration for those on gluten free diet.

I worked out that I have put on one stone every 10 years since I was 20 which doesn't sound much but... I am now 70 years and trying not to reach 11 stone.

Dear B,

Yes, it has ocurred to me.This is the third time I am writing this. It keeps vanishing. I love the story of you uncle. Thanks for sharing. My parents just got a full-time housekeeper. My mother has health issues, but not my father. Wait till they experience the clanging, banging me!

.Some of the issues with my (current) family are my own doing. It's a kind of double-edged sword. Less info on my part leads to less empathy (from them) which also leads to greater feelings of independence for me..

But the utter lack of empathy can be hurtful if not weird sometimes. Recently, one of my son's in law said to me,"oh you walk funny!" In another episode, I practically pushed my husband down the stairs at a concert hall in a wobbly and embarrassing effort to get into my seat. These people must notice how off I am. Your uncle sounds like a toughie. Good for him!

L,N
Beryl Park said:

Hi Neta,

My only surviving eldest relative is an uncle, who is 85. He lives alone, has no help in the house, drives

and has diabetes which requires insulin and a strict diet. A couple of years ago he fell in his flat because

the diabetes medication hadn't been prescribed correctly, and he almost ended up in a coma. But nothing

holds him back, if he's well enough, he's out on the golf course a few times a week!

I think he's much fitter than me and has a much more positive attitude. I try to keep him in mind when

things get on top of me.

Has it occured to you that just because people are academics and considered super bright, they may

be lacking in basic common sense?

xBeryl

Hi there Patsy,

Your relaxed attitude is charming. Makes me wonder why I am such a complainer. As I told Beryl, I too perceive a weight gain which I assume comes from being less active. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. In health, N

Beryl Park said:

Hi Patsy!

Don't get me started about putting on weight!

Before my daughter got married in February, I managed to get a grip and kept my weight

on a reasonably even keel, well I needed to get into a decent outfit didn't I?

Since then, it's been downhill rapidly, the pounds have crept on and it's got to the point

where I hardly recognise myself. Maybe that's a bit strong but I'm sure you'll get the

picture.

Last week I was in Waitrose (supermarket) and managed to pick some chocolate up and

then put it back. At the checkout I was given an duty free size Toblerone, free because I'd

spent £X! I don't usually eat these, but it's almost all gone!! xBeryl

Patsy said:

I find these discussions very thought provoking.. just when I think I understand something, someone will give a different angle which makes a lot of sense.

My husband is working away today [normally works from home] and it surprises me how much I can do when he isn't here - he is always making me drinks and telling me to put my feet up plus the 'treats'. I need to lose weight or at least not put more on but who can resist chocolate, biscuits, icecreams etc when handed to you!

I find that if I focus on others more than myself, I feel more positive and in control.

My husband is 72 years old, has to keep working to maintain our modest lifestyle - he has to inject for his diabetes and has intermittent knee pain from floating cartilage. We look after each other.

We never expect anything from our three sons who have their own families and just make the most of anytime we have with the grandchildren.

If I feel unable to walk or even 'stand', I get on my computer and chat with friends.. some of whom I have never met.

Thank God for computers.

Patsy x

Being relaxed comes with old age :( I used to be very highly strung, which caused all sorts of health issues like cold sores. However, hormone changes after menopause seems to make a difference too.

I am always reminding myself that, if I could walk and run outside, I wouldn't be inside doing chores.. this helps me not to feel guilty about sitting down with computer talking to you ..xx

Patsy

I was the same, also cold sores! Now I'm much more relaxed, and actually happier.

xBeryl

Patsy said:

Being relaxed comes with old age :( I used to be very highly strung, which caused all sorts of health issues like cold sores. However, hormone changes after menopause seems to make a difference too.

I am always reminding myself that, if I could walk and run outside, I wouldn't be inside doing chores.. this helps me not to feel guilty about sitting down with computer talking to you ..xx

Patsy

Patsy........... I love my computer also. Gives me so much to make my day go by when I am home alone. I must say you to are truly lucky your husband is also behind you during this trying time of life. You both seem to work with each other no matter what the situation. Hope he knows how much of a saint he is. Support from our loved ones makes a difference in how we accept this I think.

I stay positive but if I did not have good support at home I'm not really sure what I would be like. My heart goes out ot those who need others who really care.

I to keep busy around my home. Maybe not a well as I use to but I still keep myself very busy and I love how I feel about my life and accomplishments.

Hoping you to are doing well. I have been telling people that if I were not walking as if drunk, slur speech, eyes moving all the time while standing. I could say I was back to myself 3 years ago. Not the case at this time. Bummer!! And I am sure it will not get any better. I still tell myself that I will handle things as they come.

If I remember right I have talked in the past with you.

I love to chat but hard to catch people on chat. I have a sister who lives in our town two blocks away from me. We get together occassionally to visit. She works part time days.

Write when you can Patsy for now I have to go. Take Care!

Patsy said:

Thank God for computers.

Patsy x

Patsy, I to know that this time in our lives we don't sweat the small stuff. To me my dust is gone and reappears way to soon to worry over it. If people tell me my house always looks clean and neat. HEY! So be it. Even if we know better. I won't complain with whatever they say.

Patsy, couple of questions for you. How long have you had Ataxia? Are you in a wheel chair as of yet? Are you having any eye problems as far as when you move around while standing. Are your eyes constantly moving? Are you alone during certain times in your home? Do you have a safety alert botton to wear on you while alone in case you fall and need help? Was curious if you have this button how it's been working for you.

At this time no mor questions but will wait for your reply Patsy. Thanks for writing back. Have a great day.

Patsy said:

I have 'background' cleaner every four weeks - she only comes for 1-hour and very reasonable price for one hour cleaning - I cant think of any better way of spending the money. I vacuum in the centre of rooms once or twice a week and the cleaner does round the edges, ceilings, lights, mirrors, inside windows etc. Everything sparkles when she has been.

My husband is very untidy so I have to put everything away before the cleaner arrives which takes about an hour to do! However, our home does have a relaxed feel about it and I don't worry about it too much [just a little].

We each do our own washing and I do towels and bed linen too.

The main thing is to be happy .. I know that ataxia is often considered as a psychological problem but we know different dont we!

Patsy

Neta..........How's things going. Hope you are getting better understanding family to help you around your home. I think of you wondering if you have found a solution with the family that you are needing support from them. Hang in there Neta, sooner or later it will be obvious that they need to step things up and give you some support.

I pray for you and the family. Wishes for you coming your way. Have a great day.

neta said:

Dear Vicky,

We could not be more different. I have what drs. call mild ataxia from an auto-immune source, and get some sort of treatment (which hasnt really worked in my opinion). But I don't know what they mean by mild.I feel pretty shakey and as a result l do very little and have the world's worst attitude. I have a family who is not really interested in what they call "Mom's Complaint's". My husband also thinks I am bullshitting him and am just lazy and crazy (because I wearboots even in summer). He has said, "we need a housekeeper," a diss I felt. Just yesterday he told me, "I wish I had your life" because I no longer work. Maybe everyone is in denial. I've been told by drs. most of my "problems" are psychological. I feel like I am being punished because I try really hard, work hard (excercising) and look well. As a result, I feel God has cursed me and I am worried ninety percent of the time. N

Hey Michael...........just found a chair for the basement that would work for us. His wife is unable to use this anymore as she has gotten worse with her illness. (poor thing) Were going to check it out to see if it would work for us. Don't know how much it is. Thanks for the good advice. Nice that you mentioned it to me.

Vickie Welsh said:

Thanks for that idea Michael. That sure sounds like it might give me a chance to continue with some projects I reallyu need to finish. I am going to check into that chair. Never hurts to check things out. Again thanks for a great idea.

Michael Geilen said:

First of all, I live by myself in a 1 bedroom apt. I do alot of voluteering for ohers and when I'm home I just want to relax so my place is more or less an organized mess. Luckily I have a homecare worker visit me once every 2 weeks. Now about your craft room, have you thought about getting one of those automatic stair-climbing chairs? I don't know the cost or whether you have enough room in your basement, but its an idea so you can go down to the craft room even when you're by yourself.