BRIEFING I tried 23andMe's new genetics test -- and now I know why the company caused such a stir

Business Insider

I tried 23andMe's new genetics test -- and now I know why the company caused such a stir

This fall, personal genetics company 23andMe launched a new direct-to-consumer test that complies with the FDA’s rules on personal genetics testing.

The new test gives information on everything from how much DNA you share with our Neanderthal ancestors to how much caffeine you likely consume.

It also lets you know if you’re carrying certain genetic variations related to diseases that you could pass on to your kids.

I’ve been interested in what 23andMe is doing ever since I heard they were planning to develop drugs based on genetic information. But I was also curious to see what kind of diseases I might be at risk of passing down to my kids and whether the health concerns that run in my family could be spotted in my spit.

Here’s what it was like:

A few days after ordering, my box arrived! It was colourful and so inviting that I couldn't wait to open it up

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/i-tried-the-new-23andme-genetic-test-2015-12

Alan, I think I would have a problem collecting that volume of spit! I got to page 15 and was most surprised to see the info re mother and father being carriers, I’m the ‘lucky’ child affected! What I really want to know is, could I have passed it on. :slight_smile: xB

Good observation..

I have got this niggling feeling that the information provided can be gleaned via other means.... Today a good trawl of the internet and the like for personal information can reveal a lot !

I stand to be corrected , but will take a lot of convincing!!!

On a separate note I am hoping you are available to meet up, later in the month.

Alan

Keep me posted :slight_smile: xB

Alan Thomas said:

Good observation…

I have got this niggling feeling that the information provided can be gleaned via other means… Today a good trawl of the internet and the like for personal information can reveal a lot !

I stand to be corrected , but will take a lot of convincing!!!

On a separate note I am hoping you are available to meet up, later in the month.

Alan