De interés

Hola. Soy Julia, encantada. Vivo en España, en Madrid.
No tengo Ataxia, pero sí soy cuidadora, tengo un familiar cercano con Ataxia.
He encontrado éstos enlaces, creo que podrían ser de utilidad.
Aqui hablan de la L-acetilcarnitina ( LAC )
Copio/pego:
La L-acetilcarnitina (LAC), una sustancia colinomimética, es fuente potencial de grupos acetilos para la síntesis de acetilcolina. También se ha sugerido que en el cerebelo, la LAC podría alterar las propiedades de membrana a nivel mitocondrial .El estudio sugiere que la administración crónica de LAC podría retrasar el curso clínico evolutivo de las ataxias hereditarias. De esta manera, LAC podría representar una herramienta farmacológica útil para controlar los trastornos funcionales de los pacientes con ataxia.
Fuente:

También, información adicional que he encontrado.

Lo siento, pero no sé escribir en inglés.
Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

First of all, welcome Julia. For your information all posts must be in English because most of us do not speak Spanish in this case. I would strongly suggest that you use an online translator from Spanish to English. This way we can give you the support that you require

2 Likes

Hi. I am Julia, delighted. I live in Spain, in Madrid.
I do not have ataxia, but I am a caregiver, I have a close relative with Ataxia.
I have found links, I think they might be useful.
Here they talk about L-acetylcarnitine (LAC)
I copy / paste:

L-acetylcarnitine (LAC), a cholinomimetic substance, is a potential source of acetyl groups for the synthesis of acetylcholine. It has also been suggested that in the cerebellum, LAC could alter membrane properties at the mitochondrial level. The study suggests that chronic administration of LAC could delay the clinical course of hereditary ataxias. In this way, LAC could represent a useful pharmacological tool to control functional disorders in patients with ataxia.
Thanks

Hi Julia, welcome :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for your information. I’ve seen posts from others recommending this, but have never tried it myself.

Carnitine is on the list of recommended medications for ataxia, by www.ataxia.org…for fatigue. N-acetylcysteine for both tremor, and speech and swallowing.

Copied from www.europmc.org
Thus, inside the cell, acetyl - carnitine and carnitine are essentially interchangeable. The major difference between acetyl - carnitine and carnitine is that acetyl - carnitine is more easily absorbed from the gut, and more readily crosses the blood-brain barrier.

Foods containing Carnitine

Animal products like meat, fish, poultry, and milk are the best sources. In general, the redder the meat, the higher its carnitine content. Dairy products contain carnitine primarily in the whey fraction [1,3,5].10 Oct 2017
ods.od.nih.gov › factsheets › Carnitine

There have been several studies specific to Friedreichs Ataxia.

In the body, acetyl-L-carnitine is made from L-carnitine that the body produces naturally. L-carnitine is an amino acid. Amino acids are usually used as building blocks for proteins, but L-carnitine is not. Instead, L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine are used to help the body turn fat into energy.

People take acetyl-L-carnitine by mouth for improving memory and thinking skills, alcohol use disorder, bipolar disorder, nerve pain, fibromyalgia, infertility, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.
Copied from www.webmd.com

1 Like

This page is interesting

:slightly_smiling_face: Yes, interesting. But even dietary supplements need to be viewed with caution, there’s the possibility they could interact adversely with prescribed medication.

1 Like

Yes but no problem. Consulted with neurologist the taking of PQQ, CoQ10, Vitamin B, Magnesium threonate, Selenium. Thank you

1 Like

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrneurol.2017.154

Hola Julia ! Yo le puedo ayudar a traducir?

Muchas gracias :blush::blush: Saboath

:slightly_smiling_face:Links to studies and trials re Ataxia…in various Countries.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/search?cond=Ataxia