EmpowerATM Right to Try --- Update

Though the summer months are normally quieter in policy circles, the campaign has been working hard on the production of a new report bringing together the key themes that we have been focussing on this past year.

An exclusive roundtable event recently brought together key people from the medical, pharmaceutical, academic and regulatory worlds, out of which we have produced a précis detailing the current obstacles to empowering patients to take more control of their treatment.

Chaired by Professor Sir Peter Lachmann and featuring input from the chairman of the MHRA, Sir Gordon Duff, Bioethicist Professor John Harris, medical expert Dr Richard Barker and others, the discussion shines a light on a complicated sector. I look forward to sharing it with you in the very near future.

We have also been working with Lord Saatchi and his team to explore how together we can drive medical innovation and greater access to medicines for patients. His Medical Innovation Bill will be read in the House of Commons on Wednesday 11th September. We are following its progress closely.

Furthermore the campaign has been gaining growing international interest and we are receiving an increasing number of media enquiries from abroad. We would be grateful if anyone has any contacts abroad in a similar situation to myself who would be willing to talk to the media. We’re particularly looking for people living in Australia.

I look forward to writing to you again soon on the latest developments, keep an eye on our twitter feed and facebook page for coverage.

In the meantime read our latest blog from Julian Savulescu, Director, Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, on How the Current Drug Approval System Lets Some Patients Down.

With best wishes

Les Halpin

Twitter: @empoweratm

Facebook: Right to Try

Email: ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Brilliant post Alan

Hi Alan,

I was really shocked to read about the number of people dying re un-approved drugs.

It was their choice to try them, and I can well understand their reasons, it's very

sad. I've signed the petition. xB

Thanks Alan, now I get it.

Informative information Alan...,thanks for sharing! ;o)

So was I. I still don't get the stem cell/china thing and why this topic (whether it works or not) is ignored. N

Beryl Park said:

Hi Alan,

I was really shocked to read about the number of people dying re un-approved drugs.

It was their choice to try them, and I can well understand their reasons, it's very

sad. I've signed the petition. xB