Gastro problems with ataxia

Has anyone else developed Gastrointestinal issues(i.e. abdominal pain or Abdominal migraine attacks) due to ataxia. I have Cerebellar Ataxia and have been trying to figure if these sporadic abdominal attacks might be somehow related to progression of ataxia. Thanks.

I was diagnosed with GERD about the same time as started showing symptoms of cerebellar spastic ataxia. They DXed the GERD much more quickly. I have bee taking Prilosec, or the generic, type pump inhibitors ever since then. I finally got a correct DX for my neuro problems some years later. I mentioned the possibility of correlation to several Drs along the way. No one ever considered it to be to important. The GERD was already taken care of so it didn't seem to be a thing.

I've got a question for you. I had TMJ/teeth grinding issues before the ataxia started to be a problem. I still think it was a precursor to onset of ataxia. Again, my dentist and neuro folk didn't seem to put to much weight behind it. Have you experienced similar problems?

I have an unknown form of Ataxia, was diagnosed with it at 22, little over a year ago I was diagnosed with Gluten Senstivity/Intolerence after having abdominal pain for 7 months and having a Colonoscopy and an Endoscopy and Celiac Disease being ruled out. I went Gluten Free and feel so much better! As far as I know it is not related to the Ataxia, but not positive.

I developed Lactose and Fructose intolerance several years after my ataxia. My Dietician discussed this intolerance can be related to normal ageing. Once you reach 50-55 years of age, this occurs in many individuals. A Hydrogen Breath Test will confirm this. The intolerances gave me bloating, flatulence, diarrohea, etc

Foods containing Gluten, wheat, etc also contain Fructose, so a Gluten free diet will avoid this Fructose.

Worst items for Fructose intolerance .. Onion, Apples, Pears. Read more on a FODMAP diet.

PS I also have Bruxism, teeth grinding issues, I just use a plastic mouth guard to stop wear on my teeth. My Neuro guy again puts no link to ataxia

HELLO JOHN. MY NAME IS ASMIA AKHTAR AND I HAVE GOT 'APRAXIA OCULAR MOTOR ATAXIA (A0A1) AND I DO SOMETIMES HAVE GASTRO PROBLEMS AT NIGHT BECAUSE OF FOOD THAT DOES NOT DIGUST PROPABLY BUT NOT DUE TO ATAXIA.

HAVE YOU SKOPEN TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THIS? I THINK YOU SHOULD SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR NOT YOUR GP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND HOPEFULLY THEY CAN PUT YOU ON MEDICATIONS.

I have been having digestive problems for about two years and tests for celiac/gluten sensitivity were negative. On a recent visit to my GP and a previous Barium enema or colonoscopy I was diagnosed with Divertcular disease and tested positive for Helicobacter (a stomach bug). A weeks supply of antibiotics cleared the stomach bug up. I was also advised by my doctor to eat foodstuffs high on fibre using both wheat and oats. I sprinkle soluble oat bran onto most of my foods as well sticking to a high fibre diet, which I has made a huge difference to my digestion and other stomach problems. I was using unsoluble wheat bran prior to this but didn't find much of a difference.

I was diagnosed with cerebellar degenerative disease March 2011 which was changed to MSA this February. I suffer from GERD,IBS,torn retina, incontinence and highly elevated left diaphragm amongst other things. Chest and abdominal pain getting worse - any suggestions please? Also my speech is very bad, even though all clear even when I had a camera down my throat, and my handwriting is unreadable. Anyone suggest an alternative?

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease/Gluten Ataxia in Jan 2009. I didn't have gut symptoms, but when the GI doctor did an upper GI scope my small intestines where missing all villi that are necessary for food/nutrients to be absorbed. It was from gluten. After about 6 months of a gluten free diet, I started to be able to walk more normally and was no longer bed bound. That was in 2009 and I've made significant improvements. However if I eat any gluten (even a microscopic amount), my ataxia is back in full force for at least three weeks. It also affects my short term memory, speech and depth perception.

I would suggest getting tested for Celiac Disease BEFORE trying a gluten free diet. Otherwise it invalidates the testing. It can be progressive if a gluten free diet is not followed.

hey

all your posts onh this subject are extremely interesting. I have SCA with no number and last saw Dr Giunti in 2009. Much more is known about ataxia now I realise by reading your comments. I too have diverticular disease and take Lactulose every night. Omniprazole seems to be helping with indigestion but if needed I also take a Rennies or something similar.

I must agree that much of what I am experiencing is age-related. Perhaps this will explain symptoms - I dont know! But I am veryinterested in starting a gluten-free way of eating - some of you say that it makes a load of difference.

love and light

Sarah-Jane

When I went to the GP with stomach pains

he said I was depressed and prescribed some anti-depressants Escitalopram (Cipralex)10mg

It worked soon worked and made aa big difference

Alan

Abi Stone said:

Hey, I was diagnosed with Freidreichs ataxia when I was 9 (10 years ago), I had no problems until recently when I developed heart burn which never went away and I just took Zantac when I needed it. But now I've started being sick for no reason. Sounds disgusting but sometimes I have to make myself sick. This doesn't happen every day, couple of times every two weeks at the most. So my doctor prescribed me omneprazole, supposed to take it every day but I only take it when I need it.

deedee said:Abi...you need to take your meds daily if that is how they are prescribed. I used to only take Prevacid when I needed it too. Then I got diagnosed with GERD and started taking Protonix twice a day and I have never felt better! I NEVER have bloating, or heartburn at all. By keeping a constant level of meds in your body yyou will do much better! I promise!

Abi Stone said:

Hey, I was diagnosed with Freidreichs ataxia when I was 9 (10 years ago), I had no problems until recently when I developed heart burn which never went away and I just took Zantac when I needed it. But now I've started being sick for no reason. Sounds disgusting but sometimes I have to make myself sick. This doesn't happen every day, couple of times every two weeks at the most. So my doctor prescribed me omneprazole, supposed to take it every day but I only take it when I need it.

Julie Hahn said:

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease/Gluten Ataxia in Jan 2009. I didn't have gut symptoms, but when the GI doctor did an upper GI scope my small intestines where missing all villi that are necessary for food/nutrients to be absorbed. It was from gluten. After about 6 months of a gluten free diet, I started to be able to walk more normally and was no longer bed bound. That was in 2009 and I've made significant improvements. However if I eat any gluten (even a microscopic amount), my ataxia is back in full force for at least three weeks. It also affects my short term memory, speech and depth perception.

I would suggest getting tested for Celiac Disease BEFORE trying a gluten free diet. Otherwise it invalidates the testing. It can be progressive if a gluten free diet is not followed.

deedee said: I have Ataxia but have never had a definitive diagnosis. However, so many of the problems you have mentioned in your post , are symptoms that I have been experiencing for the last 15 years! I am calling my doc right now to get some testing done!! maybe this is my problem and I will have the same good results you have had! I can hope I guess!!!

Julie Hahn said:

Hi,
I was diagnosed CA in March 2011. For the past 6 months I suffer from flatulence, accompanied by stomach cramps on rare occasions. I am on homeopathy medication for flatulence, which helps me great.

Also need to check for Lactose and Fructose intolerance.

These can cause sporadic gut pain dependent upon quantity and type of fruit eaten and cheese type