Genetic tests

I totally agree that genetic testing results are unimportant - the inevitable waiting, testing and more waiting just lead to a huge anti climax.

I have been told by a GP that some consultants give a carefully considered diagnosis using a process of elimination because it is felt that, psychologically, it benefits the patient to have a 'name for it'.

I would add to exercise, diet, and upbeat attitude - doing a little of whatever is your passion as often as possible. Also dont feel guilty about not exercising one day but be sure to get back to it asap or it will fall from your routine.

.. and of course.. follow this site .. it's like being in a family that understands you.

Patsy/CA/70/UK

Well said Patsy

Patsy said:

I totally agree that genetic testing results are unimportant - the inevitable waiting, testing and more waiting just lead to a huge anti climax.

I have been told by a GP that some consultants give a carefully considered diagnosis using a process of elimination because it is felt that, psychologically, it benefits the patient to have a 'name for it'.

I would add to exercise, diet, and upbeat attitude - doing a little of whatever is your passion as often as possible. Also dont feel guilty about not exercising one day but be sure to get back to it asap or it will fall from your routine.

.. and of course.. follow this site .. it's like being in a family that understands you.

Patsy/CA/70/UK

Hi Jan,

I had genetic tests done and I have SCA 35. Barely anything is known about it as research shows only myself and four families in China have it. Others may have this type and not been tested. Dr. Susan Perlman documents all my symptoms and added them to the symptom list from the Chinese families, as of now, all we can do is just as everyone with an SCA, treat symptoms and hope for a cure. Personally, I didn't think it was worth all the money! They want to test my three children and I won't proceed.

Robin