Giving blood when having ataxia

I have given blood twice before I was diagnosed with ataxia. I went to give blood in June before I had my mri results and when I had the health screen, I was told that I shouldnt give blood. Has having ataxia an y effect on giving blood?

Hi MetalMickey,

I haven't given blood since being diagnosed having ataxia.

The reason why I haven't was because I didn't want to take any chance to pass it on just in case that I would/could.I was never told that I couldn't .But would feel horrible not knowing if I passed it or not..

I don't think they know enough and my thought is better safe than sorry. The same with having kids. I guess I'm not a gambler! :0)

Yes, I tried to give blood as I’d given for years, but since I was diagnosed with ataxia (8 1/2 years ago), I was told not to give blood. My ataxia is non-hereditary (as far as I know), but nothing is 100%, when so little is truly known about ataxia! ;o)

was this from your doctor or the ataxia clinic?

rose said:

Yes, I tried to give blood as I'd given for years, but since I was diagnosed with ataxia (8 1/2 years ago), I was told not to give blood. My ataxia is non-hereditary (as far as I know), but nothing is 100%, when so little is truly known about ataxia! ;o)

My neurologist. I don't know why, as I didn't think to ask at the time. My neuro. just retired so I'll see a different one in January, so I'll ask his opinion. If he also says not to, I'll ask why not. He (my original neuro,) also told me not to get the flu vaccine, but I did and always have, as I thought I was going die one time when I had the flu. I had no side effects, Guess I'm kind of a rebel that way, although I no longer give blood just in case I could pass ataxia onto someone else. The flu vaccine could have hurt only myself, no one else.

Hi,

Here's Dr. perlman's reply:

The identified genetic diseases of Friedreich's ataxia and SCA cannot
be transmitted via a blood transfusion.
The blood that is donated should be fully functional, as FA and SCA do
not impair the blood cells in a way that would be harmful to the
recipient (transfused blood only stays in the person's system for a short period of time anyway).
However, if someone has an unknown form of ataxia, where there is a
question of infection or immune system dysfunction, it might be best
to not donate blood, as some infections are transmissable in blood.
Dr. Perlman

Now I understand why my neurologist told me not to donate blood. I have sporadic (idiopathic) cerebellar ataxia (non-hereditary/unknown cause). I was diagnosed 8 1/2 years ago, so if I have an infection or immune system dysfunction, I would think I'd know of that by now...,ha! Recently, I had genetic testing as well as immune disease testing, which was negative, so I have no idea why I have ataxia. No matter...,better safe (for someone else), than sorry...,It's all so confusing, wish there were more answers for ataxia! Thanks for the info. Michel..., ;o)