How to tell people

My daughter-in-law helped me design a "business" card with my picture and contact information on one side, a brief explanation of SCA (and spelling) on the other. I keep them on me, on Skeeter and hand them out to everyone, whether they want one or not; if they trash it, fine. In the event I'm found unconcious on the side of the road, people know who I am, what I look like, what I do and don't have and while I may appear impaired, I'm not (at least, not necessarily). That little card saves me the need to explain SCA for the thousandth time. I found informing people spares them from asking. Although Skeeter and my assorted assistive devices help a lot now simply by being indicative of a person with disabilities, retailers are relieved to have an explanation. Only a few will cautiously ask, but everyone wonders in silence.

Front

Back

The lesson: Give it upā€“it shows. People notice.

Having a card with info about Ataxia is a GREAT IDEA! I have a card with my name and contact info on it, but even EMT workers have no knowledge of Ataxia. Kudos! Great idea!

schumant said:

My daughter-in-law helped me design a "business" card with my picture and contact information on one side, a brief explanation of SCA (and spelling) on the other. I keep them on me, on Skeeter and hand them out to everyone, whether they want one or not; if they trash it, fine. In the event I'm found unconcious on the side of the road, people know who I am, what I look like, what I do and don't have and while I may appear impaired, I'm not (at least, not necessarily). That little card saves me the need to explain SCA for the thousandth time. I found informing people spares them from asking. Although Skeeter and my assorted assistive devices help a lot now simply by being indicative of a person with disabilities, retailers are relieved to have an explanation. Only a few will cautiously ask, but everyone wonders in silence.

Front

Back

As far as your party story goes, I've found that I just don't wait for people to ask. I find that all people are too busy wondering what the heck is wrong that they don't hear me or anyone else. So I just pipe up and say "Before we get started let me just tell you that I ave a neurological disorder. And I don't want sympathy, just money!" Everyone laughs, I opened the door for more questions if they want, and we get on to to business at hand!

schumant said:

My feelings about dealing with the "pride" issue

"You just don't understand what it's like...". I hear that a lot from people with ataxia on websites and blogs. Maybe, but my experience with family and friends is that it certainly isn't from lack of trying. Most importantly, it's not from lack of caring.

People struggle more with the if, when, and how much help to offer. Often, the strategy is not to do anything that might be perceived as a threat to one's effort at self-sufficiency. People with disabilities can be set in their ways or have their preferred routine. No one wants to unwittingly disrupt that, but we (disabled persons) can also be a pain to deal with. I'd like to say I make it easy by not being easily offended or set off by offers of assistance. I do ask for help more often now and have found people happy to be useful. Opening a door is a simple task for someone to do, but a big deal to me. I've learned a "thank you" will do.

rebellar ataxia (SCA) and being out among unaffected people, caused me to think about the "you don't understand" comment a lot. I used to think I was pretty sensitive to others. Having ataxia has taught me that while I don't have a clue about anything outside of my own view of the world, I don't need to feel badly about it. I do recognize there are many life experiences that aren't in a frame of reference I "get". But, in the past, I confused caring with understanding. Fortunately, I never looked searchingly into someone's eyes and uttered the words, " I understand", but now I understand that I didn't understand. I think back to my aging parents, friends with cancer, people in pain, a friend parenting an autistic child.

I was introduced to a couple at a party that included both friends and strangers. My friends all knew about the ataxia, but most of the strangers just ignored me or wondered in silence. Seeing my walker, persistent sitting posture and nearby helping husband, the man asked, "So Tammy, how did you get here?"(the disability, not the party). His wife was mortified that he would ask me how this had happened(whatever this was) and tried to shush him. I gave him a brief (I'm sure he was grateful) explanation of SCA and will remember him always. He was my hero for being direct. The takeaway was if that I don't "get" a given situation, I can ask; recognizing, of course, that not everyone is inclined to talkt's easy to forget that, while quiet on occasion, I'm a oversharer by nature.

Try on, "it's caring, not curiosity".

Thanks for all of your responses. They were really helpful. I think most of my frustration in peoples' questions comes from my frustration about this whole situation. It's still so fresh to me (I was just diagnosed after almost a year of doctors saying "I don't know") so I'm having a hard time accepting it. I guess I'll just have to realize that that's part of who I am now, and people can take it or leave it.

I do like the 'business' card idea! :)

Vent here all you want!!! We all know how this really stinks but as you say it's who we are now!

Well Runner, if you are an active runner, you know that runners are "condition interested". It's natural, but too much info. leaves them confused. Most of my other runners know my problem, and they are supportive in an "in your face" type off affection. For instance, they sometimes call me "wobbles." They are getting used to my running with a rollator. The other week I was about 10-20 yds. from finish when I went down! They quickly picked me up, and one guy said, with a laugh, "You'd do anything to get a laugh!" My immediate embarassment disappeared. All GOOD! As to inquiries from unknowns, I simply say that I have a nerve disorder that affects my balance. More will be given only to answer, as brief as possible, any follow up question. -Silky (proudly, still running awkwardly at 80)

Silky, your comment made me smile! I have always been a huge runner. It's always been the one thing that has always made me feel good and happy no matter what. So it gives me a lot of hope that you're still running! I'm trying really hard to get back to running. One leg is pretty weak now, so I'm still working on the whole walking thing. But I'm hoping I can get stronger and get my bearings back at least enough to be able to run with some support.

Silkybill said:

Well Runner, if you are an active runner, you know that runners are "condition interested". It's natural, but too much info. leaves them confused. Most of my other runners know my problem, and they are supportive in an "in your face" type off affection. For instance, they sometimes call me "wobbles." They are getting used to my running with a rollator. The other week I was about 10-20 yds. from finish when I went down! They quickly picked me up, and one guy said, with a laugh, "You'd do anything to get a laugh!" My immediate embarassment disappeared. All GOOD! As to inquiries from unknowns, I simply say that I have a nerve disorder that affects my balance. More will be given only to answer, as brief as possible, any follow up question. -Silky (proudly, still running awkwardly at 80)

I tell people, "I have a neurological disease called spinocerebellar ataxia. Itā€™s kind of similar to MS or ALS. Itā€™s not a big deal. Iā€™m fine. This makes it clear that Iā€™m not interested in a long woe is me discussion.

You have to accept, though, if you show up with walking devices or walking/talking janky, or whatever, people are gonna ask. They donā€™t know what itā€™s like. Theyā€™re only trying to be kind. I get angry myself when people stare or ask me if Iā€™m okay, but thatā€™s me feeling embarrassed- itā€™s not the other persons fault for showing concern or interest.

Hi-I have business cards that have my contact info on one side and the Ataxia definition on the other side. I hand them out to people who havenā€™t seen me in a while.

Hi runner,

I must warn you that I am adding this sentence after writing the main body of my reply that has turned into something of an essay!

I must admit that I have only read a few of the posts in this thread, skimmed a few and not properly digested all of the replies. So! If this posts reads like repetition of others I can only apologise!

In a similar way to you, I started using walking aids to help with my balance. In fact, in 2008/2009, an accident at work where I fell and badly injured a knee not only had me on crutches but led to permanent use of walking aids and further investigation of my health. It seems I have had ataxia (and fibromyalgia) all my life but have just 'got on with it' up until that accident acted as a catalyst for the condition(s) to worsen and become more permanent.

It has taken about five years of testing, prodding and poking for me to get a firm diagnosis of 'gait ataxia' with 'undiagnosed' other ataxia(s) in play around my body. Those five years, as you can imagine, have been tough and I have had to learn and adapt the way I get things done - just like most or all ataxians [sic].

I am something of a private individual just like you. As such, I keep myself to myself mostly and have found it difficult to explain my ataxia to others whether they be family, friends, acquaintances or strangers. This forum (LWA) has really helped me to be more open about my ataxia and helped me realise that I am not alone in the problems we ataxians all face. It can still be hard to explain ataxia to those asking about it though - even when explaining for the 'umpteenth' time to the same person.

I'm fortunate that, for the most part, my close family and friends understand that I have a genuine condition and accept my short description of it. I usually describe my condition like this; "Ataxia means lack of order in the body and it affects my balance and coordination. If you would like to know more about ataxia then you can sit with me and talk about it or your search engine is your friend!" this is most often suffice. A major problem, as you show to have experienced, is how to tell old friends or 'distant' relatives that you rarely see about ataxia. Many such people will either not have heard of ataxia or only heard of it as a temporary condition following a medical operation or a bad accident and will have a hard time understanding that our ataxia(s) are real, often disabling, progressive and degenerative conditions that are accepted by a growing percentage of the medical profession and by government bodies.

Probably the worst problems when trying to explain ataxia come when trying to explain our condition to a stranger or to someone that simply refuses to believe that we have genuine medical conditions. Strangers are often sceptical and can be very rude and hurtful in their behaviour towards an ataxian. It is worse when such behaviour is shown by someone we know. Sadly, no matter how we try to keep our affairs private or keep ourselves to ourselves, there will always be people that think or insist that they have a right to intrude on our lives and a right to know what we claim to have (condition) and a right to dismiss us 'out of hand' when they do not believe us when we tell them the truth or try to explain ataxia and how it affects us.

I would suggest that you try to continue as yourself, try to ignore any offensive behaviour and 'move on' though I know this is not an easy thing to do. Having a short, prepared statement, maybe with reference to a web site about ataxia, as an answer can help when you feel the need to explain your ataxia to friends or family or others you know. Importantly, DO tell your friends and family about your ataxia! Mostly, they will be understanding and supportive. Remember too that most inquiries from family and friends about your ataxia come from genuine concern or the person feeling that they want to help in some way.

Where you are confronted by a stranger, the short answer can be helpful also. If the short answer is not enough to satisfy the stranger then there is little you can do other than point that person towards a web site or search or remove yourself as best as possible from the situation. If a stranger persist and this turns to harassment, consider calling for assistance if other people are around as this will likely be enough to send the harasser packing. In extremis, where someone continues over a period of time to actively cause nuisance or harass, do not be afraid to seek advice from local authorities and or police.

As for the quote; 'it REALLY pisses me off when everyone is staring at me and asking me questions about my crutches! Why can't they just understand that some people can walk fine, and others need help and just leave it at that?'. Though I have touched on this already, I will add; the fact is that those people do not have the legal or moral 'right' to harass anyone. Unfortunately, they do have the 'right' to be ignorant, insensitive (to the point of being obtuse), questioning, incapable of accepting difference, rude and generally intolerant. Try to ignore it when people are like this and or move away from the situation as there is little else you can do. It is fine and useful to answer questions regarding your ataxia. Never get yourself into an argument or put yourself in danger over this matter though.

I and, I'm sure others do (see thread), carry a laminated credit card size information card. On one side, my card has some basic information about me including a photo, an emergency contact number (be careful in choosing and using such) and statement that I am affected by ataxia. The opposite side of that card has more detail, in list form, of how ataxia can affect me. The card has come into use for me only a few times when trying to explain my ataxia and once when talking to a police officer that did not know what ataxia is! It may even be possible for you to become registered disabled with local authority. I know that some people see this voluntary registration as a bad thing with negative connotations though. Another card I carry is from my local council and shows that I am recognised by the council as being registered disabled. That card can be useful as a form of ID when proof of disability may be needed - such as when buying disability related goods or service that may carry a discount for genuinely disabled individuals.

Well! That was a long answer! I do tend to go on some when my cage is rattled. I hope at least that there is something in my reply that you (and others) find useful in some way. Kindest regards to you runner and all.

I love this idea. I will copy it - maybe you should patent it (with emergency #s, medications, and allergies, just in case help is given and you're not able to communicate).

schumant said:

My daughter-in-law helped me design a "business" card with my picture and contact information on one side, a brief explanation of SCA (and spelling) on the other. I keep them on me, on Skeeter and hand them out to everyone, whether they want one or not; if they trash it, fine. In the event I'm found unconcious on the side of the road, people know who I am, what I look like, what I do and don't have and while I may appear impaire - d, I'm not (at least, not necessarily). That little card saves me the need to explain SCA for the thousandth time. I found informing people spares them from asking. Although Skeeter and my assorted assistive devices help a lot now simply by being indicative of a person with disabilities, retailers are relieved to have an explanation. Only a few will cautiously ask, but everyone wonders in silence.

Front

Back

Michael,

I appreciate your insightful and well thought out response. I have cooled down since this whole thing and am starting to accept that this is just going to be my life... it still gets me pretty riled up to think of some things I won't be able to do again, and I think that people staring at me just reminds me of my physical limitations. That alone will take a while for me to accept, since I've always been so physical and active. Life goes on I guess

Michael said:

Hi runner,

I must warn you that I am adding this sentence after writing the main body of my reply that has turned into something of an essay!

I must admit that I have only read a few of the posts in this thread, skimmed a few and not properly digested all of the replies. So! If this posts reads like repetition of others I can only apologise!

In a similar way to you, I started using walking aids to help with my balance. In fact, in 2008/2009, an accident at work where I fell and badly injured a knee not only had me on crutches but led to permanent use of walking aids and further investigation of my health. It seems I have had ataxia (and fibromyalgia) all my life but have just 'got on with it' up until that accident acted as a catalyst for the condition(s) to worsen and become more permanent.

It has taken about five years of testing, prodding and poking for me to get a firm diagnosis of 'gait ataxia' with 'undiagnosed' other ataxia(s) in play around my body. Those five years, as you can imagine, have been tough and I have had to learn and adapt the way I get things done - just like most or all ataxians [sic].

I am something of a private individual just like you. As such, I keep myself to myself mostly and have found it difficult to explain my ataxia to others whether they be family, friends, acquaintances or strangers. This forum (LWA) has really helped me to be more open about my ataxia and helped me realise that I am not alone in the problems we ataxians all face. It can still be hard to explain ataxia to those asking about it though - even when explaining for the 'umpteenth' time to the same person.

I'm fortunate that, for the most part, my close family and friends understand that I have a genuine condition and accept my short description of it. I usually describe my condition like this; "Ataxia means lack of order in the body and it affects my balance and coordination. If you would like to know more about ataxia then you can sit with me and talk about it or your search engine is your friend!" this is most often suffice. A major problem, as you show to have experienced, is how to tell old friends or 'distant' relatives that you rarely see about ataxia. Many such people will either not have heard of ataxia or only heard of it as a temporary condition following a medical operation or a bad accident and will have a hard time understanding that our ataxia(s) are real, often disabling, progressive and degenerative conditions that are accepted by a growing percentage of the medical profession and by government bodies.

Probably the worst problems when trying to explain ataxia come when trying to explain our condition to a stranger or to someone that simply refuses to believe that we have genuine medical conditions. Strangers are often sceptical and can be very rude and hurtful in their behaviour towards an ataxian. It is worse when such behaviour is shown by someone we know. Sadly, no matter how we try to keep our affairs private or keep ourselves to ourselves, there will always be people that think or insist that they have a right to intrude on our lives and a right to know what we claim to have (condition) and a right to dismiss us 'out of hand' when they do not believe us when we tell them the truth or try to explain ataxia and how it affects us.

I would suggest that you try to continue as yourself, try to ignore any offensive behaviour and 'move on' though I know this is not an easy thing to do. Having a short, prepared statement, maybe with reference to a web site about ataxia, as an answer can help when you feel the need to explain your ataxia to friends or family or others you know. Importantly, DO tell your friends and family about your ataxia! Mostly, they will be understanding and supportive. Remember too that most inquiries from family and friends about your ataxia come from genuine concern or the person feeling that they want to help in some way.

Where you are confronted by a stranger, the short answer can be helpful also. If the short answer is not enough to satisfy the stranger then there is little you can do other than point that person towards a web site or search or remove yourself as best as possible from the situation. If a stranger persist and this turns to harassment, consider calling for assistance if other people are around as this will likely be enough to send the harasser packing. In extremis, where someone continues over a period of time to actively cause nuisance or harass, do not be afraid to seek advice from local authorities and or police.

As for the quote; 'it REALLY pisses me off when everyone is staring at me and asking me questions about my crutches! Why can't they just understand that some people can walk fine, and others need help and just leave it at that?'. Though I have touched on this already, I will add; the fact is that those people do not have the legal or moral 'right' to harass anyone. Unfortunately, they do have the 'right' to be ignorant, insensitive (to the point of being obtuse), questioning, incapable of accepting difference, rude and generally intolerant. Try to ignore it when people are like this and or move away from the situation as there is little else you can do. It is fine and useful to answer questions regarding your ataxia. Never get yourself into an argument or put yourself in danger over this matter though.

I and, I'm sure others do (see thread), carry a laminated credit card size information card. On one side, my card has some basic information about me including a photo, an emergency contact number (be careful in choosing and using such) and statement that I am affected by ataxia. The opposite side of that card has more detail, in list form, of how ataxia can affect me. The card has come into use for me only a few times when trying to explain my ataxia and once when talking to a police officer that did not know what ataxia is! It may even be possible for you to become registered disabled with local authority. I know that some people see this voluntary registration as a bad thing with negative connotations though. Another card I carry is from my local council and shows that I am recognised by the council as being registered disabled. That card can be useful as a form of ID when proof of disability may be needed - such as when buying disability related goods or service that may carry a discount for genuinely disabled individuals.

Well! That was a long answer! I do tend to go on some when my cage is rattled. I hope at least that there is something in my reply that you (and others) find useful in some way. Kindest regards to you runner and all.

1 Like

I remember a couple of years ago I was in the back yard doing some work and when I came in the house later my wife asked me how come I have trouble walking when in the house and OK when I see you working up in the back yard. Family can be as ignorant as a stranger sometimes.

Happy for the responses! Good Info. The only family I have, that cares, is my 85 year old mother, who I am a caregiver to, and she still doesn''t understand, all the rest of my family has abandoned me, so good luck, my friend!