Using a walker

Last week I went to rehab an was told I needed a walker, I cried Im not ready to let every1 see my disability... UUGGHH getting frustrated what should I do

My osteopath has suggested a walker for me but I refused. I too think I am not ready. But if you have trouble with falling maybe it is time.

Hi NC!
Think about it, what’s best , standing tall and moving confidently with a walker
or wobbling and swaying, a danger to yourself, others thinking ‘is this person
drunk’?

I had embarrassing falls before I realised safety before vanity and conceded I
really should have a walking stick.

The most important thing above all else is keeping yourself safe from harm.

When they see someone with a walking aid, most peoples reaction is to show
consideration, move aside, make room. On the other hand, someone without
an aid, swaying and also possibly slurring, might leave themselves open to
abuse.

Only you know when you’re ready, do without as long as you remain confident
but keep yourself safe. xB

I was evaluated for my walking, and I was thinking I might be ready for a cane, but was given a walker. I don’t use it often yet but I do have it on hand for when I might need it.
“JC” I know this is silly but I get so excited to hear another Ataxia talk. Glad you do your videos thank you

Remember that day oh so well! Crutches look temporary. A walker just looks old and sad!

As everyone has said, it's all about the falls. A little embarrassment from a walker is less than a lot of embarrassment (and injury) from a fall.

I was told my crutches would eventually trash my shoulders. I partially listened and started the walker part time. After my second frozen shoulder, I started using the walker a lot more.

As you know, survival with ataxia is all about keeping a sense of humor! Nothing quite like going out to eat with my mother (who is 89). When we get up to leave, she gets the cane and I, still in my 50's, get the walker. We really get some looks!

I know it's hard to laugh right now, and, to be honest, I really limit my public outings now. But I don't fall.

And I got a rollator with a seat. Really makes it nice when going to a bookstore! I can browse, then sit down and read wherever I like!

I really feel for you, but it isn't so bad. Won't kid you, it does take some getting used to and you really will get some odd reactions. The one I like best is when people talk more loudly to me. Doesn't everyone know that all cripples are also deaf?

Hang in there!

Jim

Oh poor you. I hate my stick and dread that happening to me. I love the supermarket as I feel normal with a trolley! Keep your chin up. As a nurse with this wretched disease I have seen so much and yesterday saw a 6 yr old blind child. Try and stay strong. Adnyl (Lynda)

Thanks Everyone..I understand now why a walker can and will be of good use..Now I need 1 I can make real pretty not the 1 they wanna give me .. where can I find a good 1

Beryl Park said:

Hi NC!
Think about it, what's best , standing tall and moving confidently with a walker
or wobbling and swaying, a danger to yourself, others thinking 'is this person
drunk'?

I had embarrassing falls before I realised safety before vanity and conceded I
really should have a walking stick.

The most important thing above all else is keeping yourself safe from harm.

When they see someone with a walking aid, most peoples reaction is to show
consideration, move aside, make room. On the other hand, someone without
an aid, swaying and also possibly slurring, might leave themselves open to
abuse.

Only you know when you're ready, do without as long as you remain confident
but keep yourself safe. xB

I was trying on shoes and a rollator with a seat would have been really handy.
Cruising with a supermarket trolley really lifts my spirits! xB

I was offered a walker but I bought a 4-wheeled rollator from eBay. Its much more practical and doesnt feel so bad as a 'walker'. The walker the offered me is what we used to call a zimmer frame. I dont mind having disability but I dont want to get 'old'.. I'm only 71 !!

Patsy

Dear North Carolina, I resisted using a cane for years (diagnosed with my ataxia eleven year ago), as I wanted to do it myself, until I fell one day while out and about, really injuring my back. I started using a cane (four years ago) when I leave my home, but didn't use it in my home. BIG MISTAKE because it's taken some pretty bad falls to start using it in my home too (I fell in my home a hairline fractured my pelvis, and, another time cut the back of my head requiring nine stables). Recently, I retired my regular cane for a quad cane (four feet rather then one) for more stability. My canes have been really stylish, the quad cane is forest green with colorful songbirds on it. I'm also going to get a rollator (like a walker with wheels, brakes and a seat that lifts up for storage), as my neurologist wrote a prescription for one recently. Anyway, better safe than sorry, as falls are NOT my idea of a good time. Also, people I don't even know have been very kind, holding doors open, etc. Using a cane or walker/rollator keeps people out of my way and gives me a bit more room to move about at stores, etc, My best to you (also, LOVE your videos, JC!)...,;o)

I'm from NC. I got a rollator from a local medical supply store. Probably more expensive than eBay, but they service it. I got the PT to contact my neurologist and get a prescription so I didn't have to pay sales tax.

Like many people, I used the rollator only sometimes at first. Most people used it at home; I used it out (on the theory that the ground outside hurt more and I can often catch myself at home). I now find myself using it most of the time.

Try trekking poles, I find a cane very unsteady so I tried them and they add a lot of stability and it is not as cumbersome as a walker. Once you get the feel of them it is quite easy to maintain your balance with them. They even worked great in the ice and packed uneven snow at the dog park we go to. I got a pair at Wal-mart for $20. I found some online with a wider neoprene strap for $50 that i might get because the web strap does pinch a litte at times. Both are adjustable. The one for $50 is on balancewalker.com, they also have various lengths of non-adjustable trekking poles. Leki also sells them online, but you are going to pay a lot more. You can also get them at almost any store that sells hiking and camping equipment.

Oh, and I get laughed at and strange looks at times when I talk, but who cares! I only limit telephone conversations, I heard my voice on the voice message at home and wondered who the drunk was that left a message before I realized it was ME!

I have alluded to this in the past, but when I sit down on Skeeter, I get this overwhelming, calming sensation. When I'm scooting, there is at least a temporary reprieve from any potential fall. I'm used to falls being an inevitable part of life and breaks (break as in "pause", not "fracture") from that are welcome. The perfect fall (aside from none) is one where no injury is incurred, there are no witnesses, but first responders are at hand if required. It's not that everyone hasn't fallen for one reason or another, and people are quick to offer aid and assistance, but it's embarrassing to the fallee and distressing to witnesses! I'm happy to take responsibility for being clumsy, stupid, drinking too much wine–even the "I just fell" fall. I just don't want to share responsibility with anyone, unless they pushed. It is my party...

A cane

works for

knees, hips

& legs

Trekking poles

Initially, to aid in staying upright, I used a cane, but I thought trekking poles were a better solution because my problem wasn't unilateral weakness, but bilateral imbalance. Trekking poles forced me to stay centered, stand upright, strengthened my core, and didn't look as debilitating (at the time, it seemed important) as a walker. They didn't help prevent falling backwards or give support when going up a curb, but were a good interim step for a couple years. Airline security was a consistent nightmare. "Lady, you'll have to check these ski poles." My personal favorite– "Are you going hiking somewhere?"

Earl would patiently explain that the trekking poles were being used as an assistive device, I needed them, they would fit through the security x-ray, and at the same time, manage to prevent me from saying or doing anything inappropriate.

A rollator/walker removes all doubt that the user has disabilities, and when I realized I was avoiding certain activities and settings, I moved to a 3-wheeled Winnie rollator. What it lacks in stability, it gains in maneuverability and collapsibility. More importantly, it relieved much of the terror I felt when out. It forces me to distribute weight evenly (I do), stand up straight (I don't), and lighten up on the hands (I try). A death-grip on a rollator doesn't enhance braking, safety, or mobility. Skeeter affords me the freedom to get out, cover some ground without fear of falling on my face, my butt, whatever... (I know I've probably already said that in an earlier post); that's my poor memory.

Winnie Rollator

When I exercise upstairs,

I go for stability

A word about "looking disabled". I appreciate how difficult it is to admit you need any assistive device, but it beats getting picked up off the ground frequently. I had to get over my reluctance by admitting to myself that I do have physical disabilities, and to have people recognize that has more advantages than disadvantages. At every step, "Getting it out there" has served me well. Before I used a cane, people assumed I was drunk or clumsy (my self-esteem couldn't handle that for long). With trekking poles, they were never quite sure. My Winnie Rollator may look more debilitating, but it actually enhanced my independence, especially indoors. And Skeeter? No question that I have disabilities; it's interesting to watch people scatter, thinking the disability might be visually spatial!

Hi - There are definitely some additional issues to deal with when everyone can see your different abilities; however on the positive side, it can be liberating, and certain tools can help you to prevent injuries.

I think that a very important thing to keep in your head is how you define yourself - with or without an assistive device. For example, I personally see it as courageous to do this. I would use “Courageous” as defining you.

Hi, I use a walker too. Try to hang in there! It is what it is.

I relate to all that has been said. I have thought of wearing a t-shirt that said "No not drunk, I have Ataxia" now I am just use to the stares. I too started with cane use, graduated to various types of walkers. When walker failed to stop my falls I now use a wheelchair. Using a wheelchair has afforded me with less chances of falling. I exercise by being assisted to my street trike and riding the trike keeps me from loosing muscle.

I use my street trike as a way to keep muscle in my legs and it helps with retaining muscle in my mid-riff.

Do not despair things could be worse. Keep your chin up --keep trucking.

Hi NC,

I use a 3 wheel Winnie drive with a basket and tray basket and tray are easily removable. I was just like you was shy of others seeing me disabled. I started falling so I had to use a walker. When I looked for a walker it had to be easy to use and transportable. I found the 3 wheel

Winnie Drive is what I was looking for. The tray comes in handy when I go to a buffet. The walker easily callapse and still use for balance and transporting in a car. Very light about 13 lbs. Here is a website on the 3 wheel walker.

https://www.google.com/#q=3+wheel+winnie+walker+drive

I was told to use a walker after I fell last year, the doctor told me to use it in the house as well as outside. JC your roller with the two wheels is too fast for me, and I feel unstable. My problem is I am too scare of falling that I am beginning to have problems walking, meaning I need to exercise more to strengthen my legs. I appreciate everyone comments but it's your decision just make sure you are safe.

Hi Everyone, I took in everything that everyone said I went on Craigslist and found me a barely used 4 wheel rollator for close to nothing and im loving it ....Thank you everyone

I have a walker and I used when I need it, it's better to walk with a walker than fall down and break a bone or two, good lock