Living on own

Hi Eric, I hear you on the help issue. And balance is a big issue. Sorry to hear PT did not help. I don't know what a kettle ball is. But I have one of those big balls for exercising and I can not use it. I cant stay on it I roll off. I just do stretches and a few exercises to keep me walking. I'm very unsteady, but I have to do, what I have to do. It doesn't help that I'm a lazy person. lol

Lori

A peddler for your legs is great! I have a kettle ball and like it very much. You can buy one at "Marshalls" or "TJMaxx" for $10 or less depending on the weight. Mine is 5 LBS. You can use it sitting down to strengthen your arms. Also, a set of dumbbells are good too (mine are 3 LBS each). I have severe problems with my balance also (I've fallen so many times it's a wonder I haven't broken my neck...ha!), so I understand! If I'm able to stand, I always hold onto the counter/ledge when exercising or do exercises on the floor. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know...ha! I also bought a book online called "The Balance Manual" ($19.99) which has been very helpful. It was written by a physical therapist who also sends me "free" balance videos periodically. They're simple to do, but effective. Mike (the pt author), even shows a "sitting down" version of some. You say "the older one gets, the less willing people are to help you". I agree Eric, that's why this site is a tremendous help for people with different types/reasons of/for ataxia. It's a wonderful "support" system. Until I found it, I had never known anyone with "ataxia" and felt very much alone. People on this site can be helpful to you because we understand! Ask questions or just vent, as this site is a free for all...ha! Ataxia is HARD to deal with physically and emotionally!!!

I never considered Marshalls/TJ Maxx. I was thinking Dick’s Sports or Modells. I am on Facebook and there are numerous people with Ataxia on there.

Before my diagnosis I took martial arts for one year. That helped a lot.

Hi Eric,

I shop at Marshalls and TJMaxx as it's cheaper...ha! I'm sure Dick's Sorts or Modells has kettle balls too. Good for you that you're talking with people that have ataxia on Facebook! I'm not on there as I'm not very technologically literate, so this site/email/google are all I can handle...ha! If you enjoyed martial arts so much and found it helpful, maybe you could find a class that's "modified", just a thought.

You are such a nice and helpful community! Thanks to all! I was nearly desperate about my symptoms in the last two years and always quarreling with the treating doctors, and nobody understood me.

Margarete

Hi Akita (Margarete), Yes, I agree, everyone on this site is very nice as well as helpful! No need to feel desperate, as we understand and can be supportive of each other. I've been on this site for a year now and have learned so much from others with ataxia. Although there are different types of ataxia, as well as severity of symptoms, we can help each other deal with it!

Rose, the idea of finding a modified class won't work. The schools in my area are related. Martial arts involves much leg work. No instructor would let me in. Dick's has more of a selection. I did not think Marshalls/TJ Maxx carried sporting stuff.

Yea my son is in a Martial arts class. And They have signs all over that say. " A family that kicks together, Stays together" Needless to say these bother me. Because of course I cant do it!

Lori

Eric Clark said:

Rose, the idea of finding a modified class won't work. The in my area are related. Martial arts involves much leg work. No instructor would let me in. Dick's has more of a selection. I did not think Marshalls/TJ Maxx carried sporting stuff.

A kettle ball looks like part of the ball and chain prisoners wear on “the chain gang.” My ataxia hasn’t affected my sense of humor one bit. They are handheld.

Funny sign.

Well that is a good thing!

Yes, Marshalls and TJMaxx have some exercise things. Dick Sports would have more of a selection for sure. I shop Marshalls and TJ's a lot due to prices. Good luck!