Someone who has no idea about ataxia

I live in a home, and we had someone come in yesterday who has no idea about support or any thing about ataxia.he,s been labeled as having it and that’s it. Will keep you informed how I can help him. He has no laptop. Any ideas how to help would be appreciated thanks

I live in a home, and we had someone come in yesterday who has no idea about support or any thing about ataxia.he,s been labeled as having it and that’s it. Will keep you informed how I can help him. He has no laptop. Any ideas how to help would be appreciated thanks

You say he lives in a home? does the home have a computer room? how are you getting online?

Maybe you can help him acquire a laptop? If he needs special access he should be able to get an assessment by an OT to see what he would need?

Do you have access to occupational therapists at the home you are in?

Without knowing his level of symptoms it's hard to second guess what he might need.

Kati

I agree.. neurophysio should be able to advise.

Best wishes

Patsy

Hi kempy,
I appreciate your efforts to help. We do not know if there are organizations who are willing to extend a helping hand to the Ataxic. Sometimes there are charitable trusts who also come forward to help. This is what I could think of. All the best for a good solution.

Nan.

Hi, i was labeled with Ataxia too, i was not told anything either, i was just left to get on with it for the past 13 yrs.

Hello Kempy & Countrycat,

If possible, physical therapy is helpful for ataxia. Keeping muscles strong has always helped me, as well as exercises for balance, although I don't know the degree your patient is affected. I'm able to walk, but use a cane or walking poles for support and to prevent falling. I don't take any "perscribed" drugs, as my neurologist has told me there's nothing that would help my ataxia (sporadic cerebellar ataxia). Best of luck!

In alot of cases you are dx'ed then left to fend for yourself. That is my case. I manage on my own with of course lots of help from my online support sites. There's not too much the medical people can do except the drugs and possibly physical therapy if needed. I use a cane for walking and balance. I try to eat healthy and I walk for exerise and most of all I try to keep a positive outlook on it all. Being depressed only makes your symptoms worse, I think. There are lots of places that you can get used laptops so that shouldn't be an issue. Try to stay strong and imformed and don't dwell on the negative.