Looking for others with gluten ataxia or problems with vestibular balance and vertigo

Hi MissCake2, I'm kind of resitant to using my cane still. So I hardly do. Only when I really have to. I've been told by my Dr. I should so I won't fall and break anything, but on the otherhand a retired Dr., client of mine told me not to use one because I'd get to rely on it quickly. So with that said, I have a folding cane that I keep in my purse to use if I need to, but I don't pull it out often. I guess part of using on seems to me to make me look older than I am, not to me but other's call me Mammmmmmmmmmmm and then it bothers me. I do know it's great when I use it because other people seem to really get out of my way so I can walk. I went to a PT to show me how to walk right with one, but she said it looked very awkward and it wasn't my friend. I told her she was so right. So then she started working with me to strenthen my core and legs so I didn't have to use one. She loved the Wii fit plus and showed me how to use it. So since I was using it religiously for two years I got so cokcy I though I was almost cured and didn't need to do it anymore. WRONG! I noticed I'm walking stiffer again etc., so I started back on my Wii fit plus again. I'm on day 5. I read an article when wanting to start a new habit or drop one do a 30 day trail like what computers give you. Then decide if you want to go 60-90 days more or quit if it's not for you. So that's what I'm doing and am starting to feel stronger just in 5 days. Some of the ache is going away when I can strech it out doing the yoga etc on it. :-)

MissCake2 said:

So, hope it is okay to ask and not meant to offend... do any of you use a cane? Do you find it helps? I have the hardest time making myself use one in front of others. I am 37 - still young, and most people can't tell there is anything wrong just by looking at me. If you watch me walk or try to walk next to me then you realize how I can't walk a straight line or can't look at what is going on around me because I have to look at the ground where my feet go to keep my balance (without my eyes I have no sense of balance). I think sometimes I get pretty good at looking like nothing is wrong because other people don't realize how hard I am working at trying to look 'normal'. Even my family sometimes doesn't realize how tired I get from the effort. It is part of the reason that I don't like to go out in public as much. Too exhausting... I know it sounds bad when I write it down, and I guess I DO have a hard time accepting some of it - but I also am afraid to accept it because then if things get too comfortable I feel like I've given up somehow. Does that make sense?

Marie Turner said:

Your funny Marie, Lurch! That's me too what a great analogy! hahahahahahaha

Gone straight to a rollator outside but feel old staggering along with a cane. The rollator is good for balance and a good indication something is wrong.Everyone gets out of my way,Lurch and furniture walk around the house without a cane.

Marie

ps got a quad cane for the car as can't get over kerbs while walking/lurching outside.Also can't do slopes or hills.

Hi!

This is my first post, but I saw your posting and really wanted to respond before I did anything else. :-)

I'm a sufferer from gluten ataxia as well, although I am not under the care of a neurologist. However, I found out something about gluten ataxia that might be of use to you. I also have Celiac Disease; it's only been a little over 2 years GF for me, now. I had vertigo, headaches, mental confusion and memory loss, and other issues that I don't know the technical terms for honestly (part of that issue of no neurologist, I guess!). Just added a level of clumsiness and some nerve issues that ended up with frequent injuries and more pain, is all.

Going gluten free didn't get rid of all my symptoms, either, until I found out something that actually DID. So, here's what I learned, in case it might apply to your situation.

(sorry if any of this is stuff you already know!) First, gluten ataxia can be one of two things. It can be ataxia that was caused by nutritional deficiencies from the celiac disease, or it can be a result of, they think, antibodies that directly attack the nervous system in response to gluten ingestion. The most recent studies are classifying these as two different things entirely, although both can occur in celiacs. However, some people are showing up with the latter gluten ataxia and do not have celiac disease or any gut damage at all.

The reason this matters is this: gluten free processed food, which has a small concentration of gluten allowed in it, is made to be safe for those with Celiac Disease. The amount of gluten allowed in this food is considered safe for most celiacs, as it's usually below their 'gluten threshold,' when they would start reacting. However, there have been no studies whatsoever on what the safe gluten threshold is for those with gluten ataxia.

I couldn't find any studies when I was looking, so I even contacted a couple of the main celiac disease research centers in the USA (the one in Maryland and the one in Chicago). I was told by both places that they don't know of any research done on this, either. Which means that the gluten free food that is keeping us safe as celiacs may not serve the same purpose for us as those with ataxia on top of celiac disease...so, for, uh...Ataxiacs, I guess. ^_^

I found a few posts on some of the major celiac disease forums from those with gluten ataxia who were able to significantly reduce their ataxia symptoms, or eliminate them entirely, only when they went on a sort of super-gluten-free diet. Many of them had to drop all their processed gluten free foods, drop the majority or all grains (these tend to have higher levels of low ppm gluten cc). Instead they eat veggies, fruits, whole meats, and carefully vet their beans/seeds/nuts/dried fruit to make sure wheat wasn't processed in the same facility (because the companies aren't legally required to give that warning). Some definitely had permanent damage that never healed. Some didn't. And some even had healing that was completely unexpected, although I imagine that is rarer.

This super-GF diet is what I ended up doing, even switching to vetted produce from our farmer markets to avoid certain coatings and pesticides (some pest controls are sprayed onto wheat bran and sprinkled over the produce in the fields, for example). Since having done this, my ataxia symptoms are practically nonexistent. It took weeks for some, months for others, but I can't even express how improved my symptoms have become.

However, if I ever screw up and eat something that is supposed to be GF, like, say, a gluten free grain or sauce, even a piece of gluten cc'd produce? The symptoms come rushing back in, worse than they were before. Within a few minutes, my words start slurring, I can barely understand what people are saying around me or figure out how to speak without a great deal of thought, vertigo hits so badly I'm lucky if I stay in my seat upright. The worst symptoms last for hours, and then the vertigo and mental confusion take a few weeks to clear up, as long as I go back to my super-GF diet.

I don't know that this would apply to you, but I know that this information is not something that is easy to find. I was SO thankful someone mentioned it to me so early in my GF dieting that I feel the need to pass it on, you know? A lot of neurologists I've heard of have no idea that gluten free food is not completely gluten free, so they don't even think about it. A lot of GI docs look at our gut health and vitamin levels as celiacs and think that means we're doing great on the GF diet. They don't think about the fact this may not be a good indication of if we're gluten free enough for our ataxia.

For some extra support for gluten ataxia specifically, there's a little yahoo group that came about a few months ago for those who have celiac disease and neurological issues. They have had some good links to research in this area before, although they are not an extremely active group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CeliacBrains/

There's also a gluten free forum for those who have to eat gluten free but need a more-GF-than-normal diet, which has been helpful for me to find food that I could eat without having my symptoms relapse: http://www.glutenzap.com/forum/index.php

And...okay, now I'll actually look at the real question, eh? For me, when I am having my symptoms, I have been trying to just take it easy. When I push myself, I always end up regretting it, feeling worse, having more problems, and usually falling down and hurting myself and feeling even worse than I did originally.

I can't do what I used to, always, but I have been trying to find other ways to, hmmm, keep from being isolated? I joined an on-line writing group, for example. I make more of an effort to invite maybe one or two people over to visit, where I'm in a safe environment and I can relax but still not feel like I'm becoming a shut-in, you know?

It's a bit more work, in some ways, but I've ended up feeling much better this way, emotionally. I also notice I'm doing better, less crabby and frustrated, with my hubby when I'm feeling better myself. Ha, maybe he was supportive of me doing it this way for more reasons than just support, LOL.

So sorry you're feeling isolated! I know Celiac Disease can add a little of that on in the first place, and with this as well, it's like a double whammy. *big virtual hug, 'cause it's easier to keep our balance that way* ;-D

Well, that is a lot to process, but in a good way! I'm interested in the possibility although the inner part of me thinks the idea of super gluten free sounds almost impossible. I think I will think more about this and do some research of my own, but I do think it is worth trying.

I wanted to ask you, how old are you? I looked at your page and saw that others in your family have ataxia? Do they also have gluten ataxia? Have they been diagnosed or treated? I'm sorry - this sounds like twenty questions and that I'm being nosy! I'm so excited to get know others, and I really liked your post. You sound a lot like me. I'm always researching on my own to find out more than what doctors reveal.

I am being treated by a neurologist, and he is wonderful. I may even bounce this off of him and ask him if he knows of any research. He is constantly looking up articles to see if he can find relevant cases or studies.

My husband is also very patient with me, and is very supportive. He also is all for me trying to find a way to stop this from getting worse. At this point, I can live with the damage that has been done but I don't want to get worse.

Thank you for reaching out & the hug! :0)

shaunamom said:

Hi!

This is my first post, but I saw your posting and really wanted to respond before I did anything else. :-)

I'm a sufferer from gluten ataxia as well, although I am not under the care of a neurologist. However, I found out something about gluten ataxia that might be of use to you. I also have Celiac Disease; it's only been a little over 2 years GF for me, now. I had vertigo, headaches, mental confusion and memory loss, and other issues that I don't know the technical terms for honestly (part of that issue of no neurologist, I guess!). Just added a level of clumsiness and some nerve issues that ended up with frequent injuries and more pain, is all.

Going gluten free didn't get rid of all my symptoms, either, until I found out something that actually DID. So, here's what I learned, in case it might apply to your situation.

(sorry if any of this is stuff you already know!) First, gluten ataxia can be one of two things. It can be ataxia that was caused by nutritional deficiencies from the celiac disease, or it can be a result of, they think, antibodies that directly attack the nervous system in response to gluten ingestion. The most recent studies are classifying these as two different things entirely, although both can occur in celiacs. However, some people are showing up with the latter gluten ataxia and do not have celiac disease or any gut damage at all.

The reason this matters is this: gluten free processed food, which has a small concentration of gluten allowed in it, is made to be safe for those with Celiac Disease. The amount of gluten allowed in this food is considered safe for most celiacs, as it's usually below their 'gluten threshold,' when they would start reacting. However, there have been no studies whatsoever on what the safe gluten threshold is for those with gluten ataxia.

I couldn't find any studies when I was looking, so I even contacted a couple of the main celiac disease research centers in the USA (the one in Maryland and the one in Chicago). I was told by both places that they don't know of any research done on this, either. Which means that the gluten free food that is keeping us safe as celiacs may not serve the same purpose for us as those with ataxia on top of celiac disease...so, for, uh...Ataxiacs, I guess. ^_^

I found a few posts on some of the major celiac disease forums from those with gluten ataxia who were able to significantly reduce their ataxia symptoms, or eliminate them entirely, only when they went on a sort of super-gluten-free diet. Many of them had to drop all their processed gluten free foods, drop the majority or all grains (these tend to have higher levels of low ppm gluten cc). Instead they eat veggies, fruits, whole meats, and carefully vet their beans/seeds/nuts/dried fruit to make sure wheat wasn't processed in the same facility (because the companies aren't legally required to give that warning). Some definitely had permanent damage that never healed. Some didn't. And some even had healing that was completely unexpected, although I imagine that is rarer.

This super-GF diet is what I ended up doing, even switching to vetted produce from our farmer markets to avoid certain coatings and pesticides (some pest controls are sprayed onto wheat bran and sprinkled over the produce in the fields, for example). Since having done this, my ataxia symptoms are practically nonexistent. It took weeks for some, months for others, but I can't even express how improved my symptoms have become.

However, if I ever screw up and eat something that is supposed to be GF, like, say, a gluten free grain or sauce, even a piece of gluten cc'd produce? The symptoms come rushing back in, worse than they were before. Within a few minutes, my words start slurring, I can barely understand what people are saying around me or figure out how to speak without a great deal of thought, vertigo hits so badly I'm lucky if I stay in my seat upright. The worst symptoms last for hours, and then the vertigo and mental confusion take a few weeks to clear up, as long as I go back to my super-GF diet.

I don't know that this would apply to you, but I know that this information is not something that is easy to find. I was SO thankful someone mentioned it to me so early in my GF dieting that I feel the need to pass it on, you know? A lot of neurologists I've heard of have no idea that gluten free food is not completely gluten free, so they don't even think about it. A lot of GI docs look at our gut health and vitamin levels as celiacs and think that means we're doing great on the GF diet. They don't think about the fact this may not be a good indication of if we're gluten free enough for our ataxia.

For some extra support for gluten ataxia specifically, there's a little yahoo group that came about a few months ago for those who have celiac disease and neurological issues. They have had some good links to research in this area before, although they are not an extremely active group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CeliacBrains/

There's also a gluten free forum for those who have to eat gluten free but need a more-GF-than-normal diet, which has been helpful for me to find food that I could eat without having my symptoms relapse: http://www.glutenzap.com/forum/index.php

And...okay, now I'll actually look at the real question, eh? For me, when I am having my symptoms, I have been trying to just take it easy. When I push myself, I always end up regretting it, feeling worse, having more problems, and usually falling down and hurting myself and feeling even worse than I did originally.

I can't do what I used to, always, but I have been trying to find other ways to, hmmm, keep from being isolated? I joined an on-line writing group, for example. I make more of an effort to invite maybe one or two people over to visit, where I'm in a safe environment and I can relax but still not feel like I'm becoming a shut-in, you know?

It's a bit more work, in some ways, but I've ended up feeling much better this way, emotionally. I also notice I'm doing better, less crabby and frustrated, with my hubby when I'm feeling better myself. Ha, maybe he was supportive of me doing it this way for more reasons than just support, LOL.

So sorry you're feeling isolated! I know Celiac Disease can add a little of that on in the first place, and with this as well, it's like a double whammy. *big virtual hug, 'cause it's easier to keep our balance that way* ;-D

Jeannie,

Yes, I know what you mean about the maam, LOL! I also notice that I have been a little worse and I'm attributing that to lack of exercise for the last year. I used to run a lot, but since all of this began I wasn't able to run and haven't replaced it with anything else. I also have the WII fit, and I think I will have to take it up again. I love the yoga! You are right about the 30 days thing too. My husband and I made a New Years resolution to do at least one push-up a day. That way we can't fail - one only takes a second - and if we do more than what an accomplishment. Sounds silly, but it is building a habit!

Jeannie Ball said:

Hi MissCake2, I'm kind of resitant to using my cane still. So I hardly do. Only when I really have to. I've been told by my Dr. I should so I won't fall and break anything, but on the otherhand a retired Dr., client of mine told me not to use one because I'd get to rely on it quickly. So with that said, I have a folding cane that I keep in my purse to use if I need to, but I don't pull it out often. I guess part of using on seems to me to make me look older than I am, not to me but other's call me Mammmmmmmmmmmm and then it bothers me. I do know it's great when I use it because other people seem to really get out of my way so I can walk. I went to a PT to show me how to walk right with one, but she said it looked very awkward and it wasn't my friend. I told her she was so right. So then she started working with me to strenthen my core and legs so I didn't have to use one. She loved the Wii fit plus and showed me how to use it. So since I was using it religiously for two years I got so cokcy I though I was almost cured and didn't need to do it anymore. WRONG! I noticed I'm walking stiffer again etc., so I started back on my Wii fit plus again. I'm on day 5. I read an article when wanting to start a new habit or drop one do a 30 day trail like what computers give you. Then decide if you want to go 60-90 days more or quit if it's not for you. So that's what I'm doing and am starting to feel stronger just in 5 days. Some of the ache is going away when I can strech it out doing the yoga etc on it. :-)

MissCake2 said:

So, hope it is okay to ask and not meant to offend... do any of you use a cane? Do you find it helps? I have the hardest time making myself use one in front of others. I am 37 - still young, and most people can't tell there is anything wrong just by looking at me. If you watch me walk or try to walk next to me then you realize how I can't walk a straight line or can't look at what is going on around me because I have to look at the ground where my feet go to keep my balance (without my eyes I have no sense of balance). I think sometimes I get pretty good at looking like nothing is wrong because other people don't realize how hard I am working at trying to look 'normal'. Even my family sometimes doesn't realize how tired I get from the effort. It is part of the reason that I don't like to go out in public as much. Too exhausting... I know it sounds bad when I write it down, and I guess I DO have a hard time accepting some of it - but I also am afraid to accept it because then if things get too comfortable I feel like I've given up somehow. Does that make sense?

I'm interested in the possibility although the inner part of me thinks the idea of super gluten free sounds almost impossible.

It's really, really hard, oh yeah. :-( I've been doing it for a little over a year now and it's only in the last couple of months that it feels like I don't have to think all the time just to figure out what to eat and have the energy to actually make it, or figure out how to make it using as little energy as possible. Although the healthier i feel, the less work it seems like, if that makes sense?

I check out recipes from paleo sites and raw foodist sites a lot, as they frequently have grain free recipes that I can use. And a lot of mediterranean and African dishes has sauces and salad dressings that are really basic but easy to do. I think it would be easier, but I'm allergic to some of the easier foods like dairy, eggs, and potatoes, so that kind of makes it the 'extra special diet of awesome,' LOL.

I can just pretend I'm a celebrity eating the latest fad diet, eh? ;-)

I wanted to ask you, how old are you? I looked at your page and saw that others in your family have ataxia? Do they also have gluten ataxia? Have they been diagnosed or treated? I'm sorry - this sounds like twenty questions and that I'm being nosy!

Oh goodness, no - I'm that way too! Feel free to send me a message and I'd be happy to talk even more. :-D I'm 39, with possibly one other in the family with gluten ataxia: my 13 year old daughter. She had just started to show signs of vertigo issues, with periodic problems controlling her limbs that we'd only just realized WERE problems, when she was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. She has not been diagnosed with ataxia, but her vertigo and the limb issues went away on a super-gluten free diet. She was still having trouble with the regular gluten free one. No neurologist involved yet, because she's still having lots of tests at the moment for other issues, poor dear.

Oooh, you like your neurologist? Does he know a lot about gluten ataxia? I'll have to message you to find out if he knows anyone out my way! And hugs - always. Plenty of those to go around!

Yes, keeping your sense of humor is VERY important! I don't ever want to get where i can't find something to laugh about. How long have you been diagnosed for? Sorry - I guess I can just look at your page. :)

Triathlete though - you must be very strong in mind and body to overcome what you do! That is wonderful that you still are willing to work with a trainer. I am working on getting back with exercise. I can still walk, but once I get tired I start weaving and running into things. So right now I'm trying to ease into exercise. Hoping that I can build up my stamina and get to where i can tolerate more. I miss running.

elliekusa said:

I understand about isolating more and not getting out as much. I think that initially it is normal to not want to go out as much. For me, it is about safety. I am afraid I will have an "incident", (which can include paralysis-long story).

I think the key is to find people you know who understand and can help you keep sense of humor -which is hard.

Lately, mine has been worse and I am not sure why.....it is what it is I guess.

I do get out to work with a trainer at the YMCA for short 20-30 minutes very low intensity sessions since I am not suppose to do ANY exercise without qualified supervision. As a former triathlete, it is frustrating. However, I always say if I can still walk and talk....it is all good. I do use an electric wheelchair if I have to walk anywhere more than 20 minutes

I am so glad I found this forum! :) Hang in there!

I have found that keeping calm and de-stressed is best for me. I save pushing myself for special events or get togethers!

Hi all. I have been experiencing the types of symptoms you have been describing for the last few days. They get better and then flare up at some later time. For those of you that have been diagnosed with gluten ataxia- are you symptoms constant or do they come and go? What tests did you have done to confirm GA?

HI. SORRY,CAPITAL LETTERS ARE DUE TO MY POOR VISION

I STARTED WITH THIS FORUM AND WAS THINKING ABOUT GLUTEN ATAXIA. WHATS GLUTEN?

IVE NEVER DONE THIS TEST. NOW I AM NEAR 60 AND HAVE COUSINS DIAGNOSED

IN FRANCE WITH SCA3. ATAXIA IS GENETIC SO PROBABLY I HAVE THE SAME TYPE.

I WILL TRY http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CeliacBrains/ BUT SURE WOUNT WORK FOR ME.

BEST LUCK

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

PLEASE WRITE ME as soon as possible

Melissa said:

... They get better and then flare up at some later time. For those of you that have been diagnosed with gluten ataxia- are you symptoms constant or do they come and go? What tests did you have done to confirm GA?

Before I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, my issues would flare up and then get better and then flare up and then get better, but they never completely went away. There was also a gradual worsening of symptoms over time, so that the flare ups were worse, lasted longer, and the improvement was less.

I do not have an official diagnosis, although I'm being referred to a neurological clinic in the hopes they might be able to. Diagnosis for this disease is very problematic, as there is currently no definitive test, as I understand it. It just hasn't been studied enough, yet. Usually, it's a diagnosis of elimination, when they can find nothing else to account for the problem AND they've actually heard of gluten ataxia. From the folks I've spoken to, usually, after much testing, the neurologist finally had them try the gluten free diet, and see if there was improvement, or at least a halt to the progression of the damage. If the diet had an affect, the patient got the diagnosis of gluten ataxia. There are a few tests and techniques that seem to suggest the possibility of gluten ataxia, but doctors and researchers are still divided on the effectiveness of them, the accuracy, and whether they are even all detecting the same condition.

For a person like myself, it's possible I will never be diagnosed. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease first, and then went on a gluten free diet and my symptoms went away. They come back if I get something contaminated with gluten. For example, I had an injection of .5cc last week that turned out to contain a bad grain derivative for me, and within a few minutes my vertigo and mental confusion hit me. Within 36 hours, I had the numbness and tingling in my fingers and toes. Balance is off again, gait is somewhat messed up again.

For those with gluten ataxia, any time you get gluten contaminated food (or an injection, it seems), the damage may be permanent. So it is not recommended that you eat gluten to 'see what happens,' you know? Which means that it's very difficult for a doctor to diagnose me, since I wasn't under a neurologist's care when my symptoms were conspicuous, and now the symptoms are practically nonexistent.

...when I actually WENT to a neurologist, a couple years before my Celiac Diagnosis, I got one of those 'great' ones. The kind that did one single test, which was negative, and then proceeded to tell me that my vertigo, headaches, dizziness, etc... must all be due to stress and I was just over-thinking my health issues. 0.o I have a feeling even if I had been under his care when I was diagnosed, he likely would have just told me my improvement on a gluten free diet was all in my head, too, even though I had never once thought the two issues were related in the first place. :-/

I am very similar to ShaunaMom. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease first. Then years later - last year I was diagnosed with Gluten Ataxia. It definitely is a process of elimination. They must rule out other causes like Lupus, MS, etc before they can settle on Gluten Ataxia - and Gluten Ataxia is usually only considered as a diagnosis if Celiac Disease is already present or found in accordance with. It doesn't hurt to get tested for CD anyway since it can also cause similar issues... but if you are like me and have been gluten free for so many years yet still are having ataxia then it is even more perplexing.

My symptoms do come and go - I have good days and bad days. I was explained that because the disease had damaged my vestibular nerve that this is the constant battle for my brain to take over. On good days when I get enough sleep and am not stressed then my brain can focus on keeping my balance and making sure I do okay, but on bad days that I don't get enough sleep or am sick or stressed then the brain is already too tired to take over and so it creates a 'bad day'. The symptoms are always there - it is just how well my brain can compensate for the loss and damage.

Melissa said:

Hi all. I have been experiencing the types of symptoms you have been describing for the last few days. They get better and then flare up at some later time. For those of you that have been diagnosed with gluten ataxia- are you symptoms constant or do they come and go? What tests did you have done to confirm GA?

Gluten is the protein found in certain grains like wheat, rye, barley, spelt, and kamut. In order to avoid gluten you must avoid all of these grains that have gluten in them. There is no specific test for Gluten Ataxia, but there is a blood panel for Celiac Disease that helps to get started to see if gluten is a problem for you. You can just start by going gluten free and see what happens, but this will make the tests inconclusive and cause problems for diagnosis later. It is better to start with the Celiac Blood Panel - very easy blood test, and then see what your results are.

cristian ugarte said:

HI. SORRY,CAPITAL LETTERS ARE DUE TO MY POOR VISION

I STARTED WITH THIS FORUM AND WAS THINKING ABOUT GLUTEN ATAXIA. WHATS GLUTEN?

IVE NEVER DONE THIS TEST. NOW I AM NEAR 60 AND HAVE COUSINS DIAGNOSED

IN FRANCE WITH SCA3. ATAXIA IS GENETIC SO PROBABLY I HAVE THE SAME TYPE.

I WILL TRY http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CeliacBrains/ BUT SURE WOUNT WORK FOR ME.

BEST LUCK

paisajista@hotmail.com

PLEASE WRITE ME as soon as possible

Sorry Michael, I've been trying to reply with my new Kindle Fire, but I guess the browser is different and the discussions won't respond so I had to wait until I could get onto my regular computer. I did have an MRI done. They could not find any damage to the cerebellum or see anything wrong. The last one they did was over a year ago, and I have an appointment coming up with my neuro. Was going to ask him about doing another one to make sure nothing has changed. Will see what he recommends.

Michael Ward said:

MissCake2 I notice that there is no mention of an MRI of the Cerebellum?

Have you had this done?

MissCake2 said:

I am only classified as Gluten Ataxia. No number... It is frustrating because all of the tests they ran would come back negative or inconclusive. They know from the damage to the vestibular area and my symptoms that something is definitely causing it, and I guess Gluten Ataxia is the only thing left that doesn't have a definitive test. I DID test very positive on the ANA which shows antibody inflammation, but it doesn't show what causes the inflammation.

I also am dairy free since I am allergic to dairy. Often the two go hand in hand. I will say that YES most definitely it can help a lot when you need it. Everyone is different, and you do have to find what helps your body diet-wise. I know that for me I do SO much better when I am sugar-free as well, but I have a horrible sweet tooth and with all of my other diet restrictions I find it hard to turn my back on sugar. I have also seen people that did not need the diet try to go on them. It can have some negative aspects as well since sometimes your body needs those nutrients. If it feels good then it is probably good for you! I really admire people who take the initiative to at least try. If you don't notice a difference or don't feel better then you can always go back. No harm in trying, and what a benefit if it DOES help!

My son has type 1 diabetes, and I also tried going low-carb with him for awhile. I am finding that it doesn't really help me. I try not to eat a lot of rice or potatoes (usually I eat sweet potatoes - the miracle food!), but I mostly find that I try to stick with a balanced meal now and don't worry about the carbs. A little bit of everything.

Jeannie Ball said:

Hi MissCakes2,

I am just been reading allot and hearing allot about letting go of dairy too. I've been thinking about it but it's another mind set to have to get into for me. I'm willing to try mostly anything to help out my symptoms though, so I might. I'm still in the thinking stage! :-)

I saw this video on Ted (you tube) that a women was in a wheel chair having MS. She used to be a Dr. She did allot of reschearch about foods and she started eating 3 cups of salad before each meal and made sure she had protein with it. No dairy, and not including potatoes. I thought maybe I could give this a try for 30days to see if I wanted to continue. Do you have any thoughts about it?

Being Gluten free isn't bad huh? Wow, that's great you have been doing it for 9 yrs now!

So are you clasified as Gluten Ataxia or is there a number too to go along with it?

I have been having MRI's every two years to see if my cerebellum has changed any. They said every two because they need more time between them to see if anything changed/degenerated because mine stoped the last two I've gotten resultse of. I just had another one last Monday. So we will see if it still has stoped.

My cerebellum seemed to stop from not eating an flours refined sugars or aditive of any kind. So we will see!

I have let go of dairy now and only have eaten raw alive foods for 2 weeks and feel a bit better not having quite as much fatigue. I was at my wits end with fatigue. I'd rather not injest some kind of food than take any meds for as long as I can.

The first week letting go of Dairy and eating raw was really easy. 2nd was harder. I sent away for a recipy book so I hope it comes soon, I need easy things to prepair. Do you have any suggestions for me?

MissCake2 said:

Sorry Michael, I've been trying to reply with my new Kindle Fire, but I guess the browser is different and the discussions won't respond so I had to wait until I could get onto my regular computer. I did have an MRI done. They could not find any damage to the cerebellum or see anything wrong. The last one they did was over a year ago, and I have an appointment coming up with my neuro. Was going to ask him about doing another one to make sure nothing has changed. Will see what he recommends.

Michael Ward said:

Have you had this done?

MissCake2 said:

I am only classified as Gluten Ataxia. No number... It is frustrating because all of the tests they ran would come back negative or inconclusive. They know from the damage to the vestibular area and my symptoms that something is definitely causing it, and I guess Gluten Ataxia is the only thing left that doesn't have a definitive test. I DID test very positive on the ANA which shows antibody inflammation, but it doesn't show what causes the inflammation.

I also am dairy free since I am allergic to dairy. Often the two go hand in hand. I will say that YES most definitely it can help a lot when you need it. Everyone is different, and you do have to find what helps your body diet-wise. I know that for me I do SO much better when I am sugar-free as well, but I have a horrible sweet tooth and with all of my other diet restrictions I find it hard to turn my back on sugar. I have also seen people that did not need the diet try to go on them. It can have some negative aspects as well since sometimes your body needs those nutrients. If it feels good then it is probably good for you! I really admire people who take the initiative to at least try. If you don't notice a difference or don't feel better then you can always go back. No harm in trying, and what a benefit if it DOES help!

My son has type 1 diabetes, and I also tried going low-carb with him for awhile. I am finding that it doesn't really help me. I try not to eat a lot of rice or potatoes (usually I eat sweet potatoes - the miracle food!), but I mostly find that I try to stick with a balanced meal now and don't worry about the carbs. A little bit of everything.

Jeannie Ball said:

Hi MissCakes2,

I am just been reading allot and hearing allot about letting go of dairy too. I've been thinking about it but it's another mind set to have to get into for me. I'm willing to try mostly anything to help out my symptoms though, so I might. I'm still in the thinking stage! :-)

I saw this video on Ted (you tube) that a women was in a wheel chair having MS. She used to be a Dr. She did allot of reschearch about foods and she started eating 3 cups of salad before each meal and made sure she had protein with it. No dairy, and not including potatoes. I thought maybe I could give this a try for 30days to see if I wanted to continue. Do you have any thoughts about it?

Being Gluten free isn't bad huh? Wow, that's great you have been doing it for 9 yrs now!

So are you clasified as Gluten Ataxia or is there a number too to go along with it?

Hello MissCake2,

I am also new to this site and am extremely glad I found it, as I too, feel isolated. You talk of gluten ataxia, I am also a ceoliac and it has been mentioned by my doctor that I could also have gluten ataxia. However, my consultant is not completely convinced that there is such a thing and is reluctant to send me for tests. So how does gluten ataxia differ from any other non hereditary ataxia? My main symptoms are lack of balance to the point of falling, vertigo, head pain, muscle weakness and numerous others. I look forward to your reply and in the mean time hope you have a good day.

This is a good article on the subject: http://www.livingwithout.com/issues/4_12/ataxia-2366-1.html

It has some goof information on it, how it's diagnosed, some of the controversy over how to diagnose it, and how they believe it works. There are some studies on this condition as well that are fairly easy to find once you have the terminology (mentioned in the article). Might be worth printing this sucker out, finding some of the studies, and showing them to your consultant.

When you say various diets affect your ataxia .What do you mean by improvement.In what way can we stop the cerebellar atrophy due to any unknown cause??CanI do anything to help?in other words.

Marie

Jeannie, Good for you for sticking with the diet - even when it is tough it is worth it. I have a new recipe that I modified recently - easy to make, and a good one for cold weather. I take chicken broth and chicken (or turkey), put it in a large cooking pot. Saute some chopped celery, sweet peppers, and onions in olive oil then add to chicken broth. Add 1 - 2 cups of wild rice (Lundberg is a good gluten free brand), chopped carrots, and seasonings. I let it simmer for quite awhile - at least an hour until all of the rice is cooked. Then I add 1-2 cans of coconut milk. It makes a cream of wild rice soup - and has a nice chowdery flavor.

Substituting coconut milk for regular milk in recipes works wonderful. I use canned coconut milk to make casseroles, and chowders. I love the flavor, and every time I make stuff with it the rest of my family can't tell it is dairy free. Unfortunately this isn't RAW foods... I don't have a lot of experience eating RAW except I do eat a lot of salads and fresh veggies and fruits.

Jeannie Ball said:

I have been having MRI's every two years to see if my cerebellum has changed any. They said every two because they need more time between them to see if anything changed/degenerated because mine stoped the last two I've gotten resultse of. I just had another one last Monday. So we will see if it still has stoped.

My cerebellum seemed to stop from not eating an flours refined sugars or aditive of any kind. So we will see!

I have let go of dairy now and only have eaten raw alive foods for 2 weeks and feel a bit better not having quite as much fatigue. I was at my wits end with fatigue. I'd rather not injest some kind of food than take any meds for as long as I can.

The first week letting go of Dairy and eating raw was really easy. 2nd was harder. I sent away for a recipy book so I hope it comes soon, I need easy things to prepair. Do you have any suggestions for me?

MissCake2 said:

Michael Ward said:

Have you had this done?

MissCake2 said:

Jeannie Ball said:

Hi MissCakes2,

Yes, I LOVE my kindle so far! I have a few books on, and I love being able to play on it at night too. The hardest part is typing... I would like to have SWYPE like I do on my phone - so much easier for unsteady hands. I am getting used to the web too.

As for the cerebellum, I'm sorry to hear yours is shrinking. I am scared of that too... I know they told me that so far they couldnt' see anything in MRI, but they kept telling me for the longest time that the vertigo was a minor issue too and didn't understand the problem. If they would have acted at the beginning we may have been able to prevent it from getting this bad. Yes my problems stem from the vestibular damage, but they still don't understand why it happened or if it is continuing to happen. I realized long ago that doctors don't often have the answers, but now I'm even more wary of accepting anything, even good news. They tell me that it definitely could get worse but they have no idea if it will move to other areas or stay in the one area. So frustrating.

Michael Ward said:

Cool to have the Kindle Fire!

I have like 50 Clasical Books on mine plus Music and Net Flix.

Browsing the WEB is not so bad once you get use to it.

I have Bose Headphones to watch movies in bed when my insomia sets in. (That way I don't disturb my wife)

Getting back to your health:

If your Vestibular Nerve is 90% damage I guess that would explain the cause of your condition?

In my case my Cerebellum is Shrinking.....

Kind regards,

michael

ShaunaMOM has some good advice with the article in Living Without Magazine. It is a VERY helpful article. My recommendation is that if your consultant or doctor is reluctant to accept something AND has ruled out other serious issues (like MS or Lupus, etc.) then I would ask for a second opinion. Insurance will cover for you to see someone else and get another opinion. If you trust your consultant then you could ask if they mind referring you to someone for a second opinion. A good doctor will not have a problem with this, and it will give you peace of mind too. Just make sure that you don't ask for their referral if you don't trust them or aren't sure. Otherwise they may send you to someone who will agree with them just to shut you up.

The thing with Gluten Ataxia is that if other stuff has been ruled out and you already have Celiac Disease then Gluten Ataxia is a pretty solid diagnosis. Apparently getting off of gluten does not always mean that the ataxia will go away - as in my case. There is so much they don't understand, and while the diagnosis part of Gluten ATaxia is still being debated - the disease itself is very real and not something to be ignored! Message me sometime. I would love to hear your story... we sound very similar.

kezziecloggs said:

Hello MissCake2,

I am also new to this site and am extremely glad I found it, as I too, feel isolated. You talk of gluten ataxia, I am also a ceoliac and it has been mentioned by my doctor that I could also have gluten ataxia. However, my consultant is not completely convinced that there is such a thing and is reluctant to send me for tests. So how does gluten ataxia differ from any other non hereditary ataxia? My main symptoms are lack of balance to the point of falling, vertigo, head pain, muscle weakness and numerous others. I look forward to your reply and in the mean time hope you have a good day.