Nausea and loss of appetite

For the past few days, I have been feeling nauseous and lack of hunger, mainly in the morning after my usual cup of coffee. I usually feel better as the day progresses, and actually feel hungry and happy in the middle of the night. I think tomorrow is going to a normal day, but get up at ground zero again. Is this normal for ataxia (SCA1)? I would love to hear if others have had similar experiences.

Vasant

I do experience this if I have caffeine or if I take vitamin pills before eating. I dont have SCA1 though.. just CA.

Hi,

I have had Sensory Ataxia for the past seven years, and during the past approx 6 months I have been having quite a lot of days when I have this nausea feeling, which sometimes lasts all day. What I've read people with Ataxia are more prone to it.

Doug Smith, Bristol, England.

My daughter has “cerebellar ataxia”. She is 7. And she experiences nausea and lack of hunger daily. She is also on several medications that have a side effect of causing those symptoms…then of course, she has meds to relieve those. Seems like an endless cycle for her.

I hope you find some answers.

When I had depression a few years before ataxia I fedlt nauseous until 4 o'clock and fine and hungry in the evening.

Check out depression first. I have an unidentified CA though not a SCA.

you might have developed a caffine/wheat intoelerance, if you have wind, bloated stomach,indegestion, feel sick, runny poop/constipated tierdness/depression. runny/blocked up nose, or only a few of these symptoms. This can come on at any age. I think you should tell your doctor first see what he/she says. Or try avoiding coffee for a while or at least caffine via caffine free coffee then later maybe try avoiding wheat.. see what it does. (takes up to 3 months to feel benefits if you have this problem, this is from my experience)

I have not had coffee for years just decaf and in May no coffee at all. Coffee with caffeine makes my ataxia worse. I have EA2 unknown since I will not pay for the genetic testing. Try giving up your coffee for herbal tea. (I miss my decaf coffee so much). Have been gluten free for 7 years. I do not get nauseous. Do have a lack of appetite in the morning but afternoon and evening okay. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms and see what he/she says.

I have always attributed my feeling of nausea in the morning to the fact that after laying in bed for the night (when my dizziness usually is not noticeable) the minute I put my feet on the floor and stand up, that awful drunken feeling comes back with a vengeance. This is enough to make any one nauseous. And of course, when you are nauseous, you are not hungry… And as Profvasant said, every morning, I start at ground zero again. My ataxia was caused by a stroke, so I don’t know if it has a specific name or number besides plain old cerebellar ataxia, may be ? :slight_smile: but it seems to be a rather common problem whatever the cause of ataxia to be nauseous at times.
Of course, there are always other factors which can come into play… Doctors will tell you that nausea is one of the worst symptoms to diagnose. And I believe so too.

SOme times I feel the same, I think is about Ataxia

Hello,

I have nausea daily and have had for over 12 years. This, actually, was my very first symptom. For me, it is motion sickness due to my double vision and nystagmus. I take Dramamine every day and that helps quite a bit.

I was diagnosed with sporadic OPCA.

I am recently diagnosed with idiopathic late onset cerebellar ataxia…don’t know a lot yet about what to expect but for the last several days I simply have no appetite! I’m not nauseous or feel ill, just nothing sounds good and I don’t feel hungry. Has anyone else had this happen? Anyone out there with ILOCA??
Marina

:slightly_smiling_face:Hi Marina, I don’t actually recall anyone mentioning a lack of appetite, and associating it with ataxia. Years ago, I had a problem with lack of thirst. As you can imagine this wasn’t helpful, I became dehydrated and very ‘heady’ :woman_facepalming: It was very strange not feeling the desire to quench a thirst. Fortunately I was able to conquer it before seeking help. We’re told not to associate all ‘symptoms’ to ataxia. If this continues to be an issue, consider speaking to your Doctor. At the very least you may be depleting your system of essential vitamins :thinking: xB