Objects that can help live with ataxia

Try learning to play the guitar. Finger plucking style on a Spanish/Classical guitar. It is great exercise for your fingers and hands and adds greater strength and coordination to them.

It is also a rewarding and addictive hobby.

A useful technique for standing at a grab bar in the bathroom is placing a carpet sample on the wall so the forehead can be used as a point of

suspension, allowing both hands to be used to pull up pants. As a teenager, I learned to climb mountains and those skills are

still useful. I had a burst brain aneurysm {stroke[ over 20 years ago, and have been in a wheelchair since then.

Cheers, Jill Wnslow

Hallo all,

I agree with MarkG that learning to play guitar is 'a rewarding and addictive hobby'. Sadly, I am no longer able to play guitar due to lack of coordination / motor control in my hands. Still, anyone that is able to 'make the chords' and strum along could find guitar a usefull and fun activity.

As for typing, like a previous poster, I used to have high speed and accurate typing. My typing now is slow and prone to mistakes! I have no real advice to help with typing other than to recomend that anyone with issues to go at their own speed and try not to get frustrated.

Writing is a problem for me because of my grip and coordination not being great. I go at my own speed, print in capitals and use 0.5Kg wrist weights (such as some people use while running) to help steady my hand. It is kind of embarrassing when I need to write in public such as to sign for a parcel or fill in a questionnaire! It seems that some people think that my poor writing equates to me being stupid or something. If this is happening then all I can say is try not to be upset by it.

There are pens and pencils that are designed to help such as shown here;

http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/categories-disability-aids/174/wr...

I used to have a shaped pen that 'locked' into my grip so to say but I now just try to use fat or chunky pens as the slimmer ones are too hard to grip.

As for day to day life, appropriate exercise such as light gym exrcise if available can help. Relaxation or meditation exercises can help as well - for me sitting in a darkened room listening to relaxing music from time to time really helps!

If available and interesting to the person affected by ataxia, computer gaming can help. This does not have to be one of the many fast paced first person or multi player adventure type games. An easy to use puzzle game can be of great help with concentration, coordination and relaxation as well as keeping the brain exercised.

@Ludmilla, there is no need to appologise when English is not your native language. :) As a group,the users of 'Living With Ataxia' are (usually) quite relaxed and understanding and ready to help. The 'language barrier' can be a problem but a solution can, more often than not, be found for this. Thanks for the post and please do not be put off from posting more.

Hi Ludmilla,

Try one of these to improve you hand/finger strength

http://www.thera-band.com/store/products.php?ProductID=78

Best wishes,

Mark

Mark mentioning that reminded me of a couple of things that helped build my strength:

-theraputty-like Silly Putty in funky colors
-theraband-in different resistant “weights”

And, I’m big into Yoga, if I didn’t already mention Yoga exercises.

Thanks for the helpful info Mark and Julie A! Yes, Julie A., I recently saw an eye doctor, that used to be a physical therapist. He said Yoga is excellent for balance and strength, therefore, is a great form of exercise for someone with ataxia, as you well know! ;o)

I just find different ways of doing the same thing so I type instead of write or talk, go out on my scooter instead of driving.

I get the same results but am very slow.

Good for you Marie! You found "adaptive" ways of doing different things. I'm slow too, I think it's the "norm" with ataxia! My best to you..., ;o)

I found this link on snazzy little grab bars:

http://www.grabcessories.com/

jillian Winslow said:

A useful technique for standing at a grab bar in the bathroom is placing a carpet sample on the wall so the forehead can be used as a point of

suspension, allowing both hands to be used to pull up pants. As a teenager, I learned to climb mountains and those skills are

still useful. I had a burst brain aneurysm {stroke[ over 20 years ago, and have been in a wheelchair since then.

Cheers, Jill Wnslow