Progressive effects inevitable?

Hi Julie, Good advice you gave to Mom of Ataxic! Just curious, what is a typical gluten free, sugar free, dairy free day of eating for you? Thank you...,;o)

My average day:

Breakfast: oatmeal cooked with 1/2 water & 1/2 coconut milk the kind in the dairy section), 1 tablespoon flax meal, stevia, blueberries(thawed, bought frozen). Coffee with stevia and coconut creamer.

Lunch: green smoothie(cucumber with skin, apple, fresh ginger root, 1/4 cup lemon juice, water, baby kale, baby spinach [5 cups of these two]), Really yummy!

Dinner: Butternut squash (peeled & diced) . I cook it in a skillet with either vegetable broth or water. Add Black beans (canned-rinsed & drained), then salsa and fajita seasoning. Used as a burrito filling or without. We frequently do veggie stir fry with tofu or chickpeas as the protein . 1/2 cup brown rice or quinoa.

Snacks: 8-10 walnut halves, popcorn, fresh fruit (sometimes as a fruit smoothie).

I eat LOTS of food.

They whole idea is to eat a LOT of fresh vegetables to feed our bodies nutritional needs. So often we’re hungry because the body is crying out for nutrients, vitamins, minerals etc. give it what it needs and you get full. I’ve found the green smoothie makes getting a lot of fresh veggies in really easy and quick. Dark green leafy vegetables is the thing are bodies need the most.

Yum. That sounds good.

But, if others are trying to learn more about a strict gluten free diet, we have been told to stay away from oats too as they often have trace amounts of gluten in them. Just an added "FYI".

Julie Hahn said:

My average day:
Breakfast: oatmeal cooked with 1/2 water & 1/2 coconut milk the kind in the dairy section), 1 tablespoon flax meal, stevia, blueberries(thawed, bought frozen). Coffee with stevia and coconut creamer.

Lunch: green smoothie(cucumber with skin, apple, fresh ginger root, 1/4 cup lemon juice, water, baby kale, baby spinach [5 cups of these two]), Really yummy!

Dinner: Butternut squash (peeled & diced) . I cook it in a skillet with either vegetable broth or water. Add Black beans (canned-rinsed & drained), then salsa and fajita seasoning. Used as a burrito filling or without. We frequently do veggie stir fry with tofu or chickpeas as the protein . 1/2 cup brown rice or quinoa.

Snacks: 8-10 walnut halves, popcorn, fresh fruit (sometimes as a fruit smoothie).
I eat LOTS of food.

They whole idea is to eat a LOT of fresh vegetables to feed our bodies nutritional needs. So often we're hungry because the body is crying out for nutrients, vitamins, minerals etc. give it what it needs and you get full. I've found the green smoothie makes getting a lot of fresh veggies in really easy and quick. Dark green leafy vegetables is the thing are bodies need the most.

There is Gluten Free Steel cut Oats by Redmill or what I have that is Gluten Free is called "Mighty Tasty Cereal" by Redmill. You cook it like Oat meal on the stove for 10-15 mins. It's creamy. I add coconut yogurt and berries and a banana (Dr. suggested that I have one a day to walk better, and it helps me).

I also use my food as meds only. But I don't do smoothys anymore as often as I did. I had to join FA Food Addicts to get off and stay off refined sugars withought any substitudes, just plain natural foods now. I believe like Julie does that the foods we eat make the diffrence in how our bodies perform for us. I used to be into health before I got ataxia but being diagnosed with ataxia I let go of all flour, refined sugars, Gluten Chemicals, anything in a box or bag, and it's made a huge diffrence for me with my walking and other ataxic symtoms.

I also believe you are what you eat. And you eat what the animals eats (that is if you eat animal proteins).

But my body seems to respond well to having 9 servings (mixed) of veggies and fruits (in any combo). Sometimes when I don't really feel like eating smoothies work well for me. Because I also do get the nutients I need and not as much bulk!

Read Dr. Hymans thoughts also: http://drhyman.com/ There are video's here also. Please check this out!

Bob's Redmill Gluten Free oats are tested and certified GF. However, I understand some folks still can't tolerate them. I never had any issues with oats.

Mom of ataxic said:

Yum. That sounds good.

But, if others are trying to learn more about a strict gluten free diet, we have been told to stay away from oats too as they often have trace amounts of gluten in them. Just an added "FYI".

Julie Hahn said:

My average day:

I eat LOTS of food.

They whole idea is to eat a LOT of fresh vegetables to feed our bodies nutritional needs. So often we're hungry because the body is crying out for nutrients, vitamins, minerals etc. give it what it needs and you get full. I've found the green smoothie makes getting a lot of fresh veggies in really easy and quick. Dark green leafy vegetables is the thing are bodies need the most.

Here are some “resources”:

-http://forum.livingwithataxia.org/video/2013-national-ataxia-foundation-amm-1

-http://forum.livingwithataxia.org/group/naf-national-ataxia-foundation-on-lwa?xg_source=activity

-http://forum.livingwithataxia.org/group/foods-recipes

-http://forum.livingwithataxia.org/video/what-is-ataxia

-http://forum.livingwithataxia.org/forum/topics/all-terrain-walker-wheelchair

-http://forum.livingwithataxia.org/group/naf-national-ataxia-foundation-on-lwa/forum/topics/ataxia-id-card

-http://forum.livingwithataxia.org/group/affirmations-and-quotes

-http://forum.livingwithataxia.org/groups

Glitter on Butterflies said:
I agree that everyone is different, especially depending on the type of Ataxia and that anyone who has Ataxia didn't pursue it nor should be blamed for having it; some things will probably help, no matter the type:

-exercise, including balance, glut., and core practice
-meditation -stress relief, quiet the chitter-chatter in the mind, etc.
-affirmations - that whole "I am..." focus, even if he or she isn't currently
-health-conscious diet
-positivity and positive outlook
-adopting a "how can I do ____?" instead of "I can't do _____ anymore."
-being involved in an enjoyed hobby that he or she can do
-a good night's sleep, I think at least 6 hours + naps when needed - listen to whatever the individual's body needs, without pushing it /going for longer and being completely wiped out
-being part of a group with commonalities - online, real-life, or both
-establish some goals - short-term and long-term and keep them realistic
-drink plenty of water
-listen to calming music
-stretch muscles, consider taking calcium both for possible cramps and/or bone strength
-smile and laugh
-brain games
-all-in-all, these things keep the body and mind going.

Phew! Most importantly, remember to whole-heartedly enjoy the good times.

A great resource that was mentioned is Dr. Tom Clouse. He has first-hand knowledge on Ataxia, and his website is filled with very useful information.

Another great resource is the National Ataxia Foundation (and there are members of that organization on this site).

I second the recommendation to look up Dr. Tom Clouse, who has ataxia himself.

When you lose the ability to do something, you can get it back for awhile (years) because you can learn a new way to do it. You might even be able to do it better than before. For example, let's say you start losing your balance whenever you turn your head. That just means that your automatic system for doing that isn't working so well. There's a trick where you can learn to find a point in front of you to look at, then find a similar point at the same level to look at when you turn your head. Looking at these points helps you keep your balance without having to look down at your feet.

There's lots of other little tricks. Your daughter will find her own or learn ones from other people from talking to them.

Great places to look for help are dance classes, martial arts classes, women's health clinics (for bladder retraining), pilates, yoga, anything movement or body conscious oriented. Good luck and try to stay positive!

My example of adapting is feeling sad I can no longer walk round fields but I can go much further on my road scooter,

So I have replaced the fields with the local villages.

I am also a fan of Dr Clouse.

Marie