Reflexes

Does anyone have fast reflexes? When any part of my body accidently bump into something, I go flying. Does this go with the territory of Living with Ataxia. I have SCA6. Thank you in advance for your input.

Yes! But I have to focus and conscienly (sp?) work on slowing down. Check out Dr. Tom Clouse's site. I just worked with him and he was constantly telling me to slow down that I wasn't in a race. He has really good thoughts here! http://walkingwithataxia.com/BASIC%20CONCEPTS.htm Hope these thoughts can help you too! :0)

Yes

Startle Reflex ??

If something unexpected comes to my attention or suddlenly into my view or touches me without my knowing, I am sure to jump with heightened movements (sometimes hilarious)

The "startle Reflex" seems to occur with many disabilities (of differing levels off reaction)

Thank you Jeannie. I've been told that too that I need to slow down. I've been fast paced all my life, but I'm learning to slow down. I'm trying to stay focus and that's helping but every now and then I lose focus and get back on my racing horse and that's when I get into trouble. It usually happens when i get involved in a project.

This website is awsome. I stumbled over it by accident. I finally can express my concerns, obtain solutions and obtain additional information.

Jeannie Ball said:

Yes! But I have to focus and conscienly (sp?) work on slowing down. Check out Dr. Tom Clouse's site. I just worked with him and he was constantly telling me to slow down that I wasn't in a race. He has really good thoughts here! http://walkingwithataxia.com/BASIC%20CONCEPTS.htm Hope these thoughts can help you too! :0)

It’s really weird for me…some things will get a delayed reaction from me, and then some-usually totally normal - things will make me jump…my reactions are definitely different for me now.

James some of the things we can do to correct almost any problem that we have to deal with, seem to come from our own effort and focus. I swear I never knew it was possible. Unless I saw it with not only my own eyes with others, but when I got out of my own way and just keep reminding myself to do these things for me too!I guess anything can become a habit right? Good or bad! :0) And I have bad days too but I can’t aford to let anything slide anymore. I don’t want to lose what I built up.
I so agree that his site is not only great because he had medical training but lives with ataxia also. So he gets us and what we have to go thru! Sure it’s hard but what isn’t?! :0) Right? :0)

If you mean the reflexes like in “tap on the knee, leg kicks out” i have one actually slower or absent in left leg. But thats due to a herniated disk at L5-S1
But i can really relate to this bit:

[quote]“Yes
Startle Reflex ??
If something unexpected comes to my attention or suddlenly into my view or touches me without my knowing, I am sure to jump with heightened movements (sometimes hilarious)
The “startle Reflex” seems to occur with many disabilities (of differing levels off reaction)”[/quote]

Loud noises, sudden movements, unexpected incidental touches they all get me to jump up with nails in the ceiling so to speak

I agree Jeannie 100% on staying focus. For the most part I'm staying focus. For one thing, I' m teaching myself to slow down and think before I react. Sometimes, when I work on projects, I react to quick and get out of focus. I've always been fast paced, but I'm getting better. Thanks for your commet.

Jeannie Ball said:

James some of the things we can do to correct almost any problem that we have to deal with, seem to come from our own effort and focus. I swear I never knew it was possible. Unless I saw it with not only my own eyes with others, but when I got out of my own way and just keep reminding myself to do these things for me too!I guess anything can become a habit right? Good or bad! :0) And I have bad days too but I can't aford to let anything slide anymore. I don't want to lose what I built up.
I so agree that his site is not only great because he had medical training but lives with ataxia also. So he gets us and what we have to go thru! Sure it's hard but what isn't?! :0) Right? :0)