Requesting information

Thanks again Jeannie for advice on Pilaties! I been thinking about trying it or Yoga as I've heard they are great forms of exercise for someone with ataxia! Also, at times I tend to isolate myself so emotionally it would be good to have a class to go to, although I know you can do either at home as well.

Thanks JC...that's a great suggestion as my balance is REALLY compromised!

I'm thinking of trying either Yoga or Pilates. My balance is getting worse - I would like to do something to strengthen my core to try and help.

Can anyone suggest what would be better for what I am trying to get out of it? I'll be honest - I get easily discouraged, especially with things I have done before that I can no longer do! I've tried a few different things but when I can't do the basic things I tend to leave it. I'd like to be able to stick with something - I'm trying to get back into running, even though I am all over the path when I try! I am signed up for a 5K run in New York the day before the Marathon - my wife is going to run with me to help if needed (so I don't try to grab onto a complete stranger!), and I figured I should be able to try to do it! Hopefully my symptoms will allow me to run the race. All I am hoping for is to finish!

I'm getting me a three wheeled "trike" (bicycle) I want have to balance it,plus it will help me build up my leg muscles and hopefully lose some pounds around my waste.Also,if you have access to a swimming pool,that's great exercise & you don't have to worry about falling and hurting your selfl! EVERYONE should go to this link:http://walkingwithataxia.com/index.html

This Doctor has ataxia.It is a good source.Let me know what ya'll think about the Doctors link.

I signed up for the run (it's a race, but not for me!) to give myself a goal - and since we are going to NYC for the wife to run the marathon I wanted to do something while we are there. When she did the Boston marathon in 2011 I did the 5K there for the same reason. I used to be able to run the marathon - not in a great time, but I would complete it - but I can't anymore. Just doing the 5k is going to be a feat!

Using a Bosu is a good idea. I like being able to do things at home - in a gym setting I feel that people are judging me when I try to do something.

Surfing is something not for me - the balance to get up on the board just isn't there! I don't mind swimming if that's why I go to the water, but I wouldn't be too happy if it's as a result of something else!

I have tried Pilates classes but found them expensive and even in group of only 3 I felt slightly embarrassed.

I now use Wii fit plus which has yoga and pilates type exercises - you just choose the ones that suit you.

I used to stand in front of the sofa but since we moved, the room layout is not suitable so I have wiifit in the bedroom and stand in front of the bed [need something to fall back on!]

I hold on the back of a chair for one legged exercises

I find it takes too much energy to get up from floor so I avoid floor exercises.

Patsy x

Wow to even think of running or surfing, I'm jealous. LOL Yea if I could do those things. I would fight like hell to keep moving. If you can even move your legs to run. DO IT! Keep doing it! Good luck!

I use the ball. Great tool!

Michael Ward said:

BWGreen:

WOW! Just the fact you are think of running a 5K is amazing.

I went surfing last week and it felt great however I was a KOOK.

Fortunately I had a very compassionate person to stay close to me and make sure I did not drown.

I train with a BOLSU Ball. Just make sure your wife spots you and your have rubber mats around you. Falling is very dangerous. The BOLSU Ball works your core like nobodies business. There are many examples on YOUTUBE concerning the BOLSU Ball. There like $100US brand new.

Thanks for the encouragement Lori - I'll keep going as long as I can! I don't run outside in the winter months - hitting an icy patch would be bad. But once the ice has all melted my biggest hurdle is getting over what others may think of me and how I am running - I'm sure I do a lot more distance than others. The upside - I get to see the entire path or road that I am running on! Kinda like how I golf - I really got my money's worth!

I think that's great that you're going to run a marathon as I personally haven't been able to run in years. Actually, I have days when walking is difficult as I use a cane when I leave my home so I don't fall. I call oit my "security cane" kind of like a "security blanket" for an adult...ha! Anyway, enough about me. I think any exercises you can do safely is good. I spoke with a physician who was once a physical therapist and he said yoga and/or pilaties are excellent for balance and he highly recommended them! I do a lot of stretching and core exercises. I also use light hand weights as I want to stay as strong as possible. I hold onto the counter and do balance exercises. Just keep moving and running safely!!!

I think that's great that you're going to run a marathon as I personally haven't been able to run in years. Actually, I have days when walking is difficult as I use a cane when I leave my home so I don't fall. I call it my "security cane" kind of like a "security blanket" for an adult...ha! Anyway, enough about me. I think any exercises you can do safely is good. I spoke with a physician who was once a physical therapist and he said yoga and/or pilaties are excellent for balance and he highly recommended them! I do a lot of stretching and core exercises as I'm on the floor and really don't use balance. I also use light hand weights as I want to stay as strong as possible. I hold onto the counter and do balance exercises. Just keep moving and running safely!!! Also, I bought a book online called "The Balance Manual' and find it very helpful.

Hi Dennis,

I'm jazzed that he's coming to SF and I'm shedualed to get to work with him. I read bit and peices of his site from time to time. There is so much information to digest and I tend to forget some so I have to remind myself too by reading it. I've actually tryed quite a few of his directiona and have been just amazed at how those little things are working for me!

I've talked with him and he sounds so knowlegable because he lives ataxia too. I was skepitcal to even try but after 4 months of being very dilligent I'm all of a sudden seeing so many resultse. I feel as if this is a secret I'm jazzed it's available and I have access to his site!

I think his since of humor and outlook is just great! :0) I am working on getting my indurance up more to be available when I work with Dr Tom Clouse so I can last longer and get as much as I can from our session. I'm getting addicted to moving and who knew that would EVER happen to ME! :0) I'm not someone nor have I ever been someone that liked to exersize or should I say move before I even was diagnosed having ataxia.

Have you had a chance to work with him?

Dennis R. Lord said:

I'm getting me a three wheeled "trike" (bicycle) I want have to balance it,plus it will help me build up my leg muscles and hopefully lose some pounds around my waste.Also,if you have access to a swimming pool,that's great exercise & you don't have to worry about falling and hurting your selfl! EVERYONE should go to this link:http://walkingwithataxia.com/index.html

This Doctor has ataxia.It is a good source.Let me know what ya'll think about the Doctors link.

I think that is so great that you entered and will run! Give yourself lot's of credit for doing that!

I talked with my instructor before I joined and let her know my goals/wants and limitations as I saw them. She's modified almost all of them. In her classes she has many diffrent levels working out and anything is ok. But I don't focus on what they are doing. I'm finding when I can keep my mind on the muscle group that I'm using at the moment it seems to help me get even more stronger, strange I think but what ever works right? :0) She encurrages me to get into harder positions after I'm streched out more and I get amazed that I can balance and do them even for a moment. I find the net time I can do just a bit more. Shoot, I get so jazzed with my progress no one elce has to mention it to me. :0)

Please come back here and let all of us know how well you feel you did! :0) Your inspiring to me! :0)

The last time I ran, I fell quite dramatically and broke my ring finger in two places - the pain was excruciating and my left hand was out of action for some time.

That was quite a few years ago and I have by necessity slowed down to a toddle now. I would think that the faster you are going when you fall, the more damage you can do.

Do you wear protection for elbows and wrists when you run?

Patsy

No Miz Jeannie,I didn't get the chance to work with Dr. Clouse.May be next time he's in GA or FL.Let us know how things turned out after you've worked with him!

Jeannie Ball said:

Hi Dennis,

I'm jazzed that he's coming to SF and I'm shedualed to get to work with him. I read bit and peices of his site from time to time. There is so much information to digest and I tend to forget some so I have to remind myself too by reading it. I've actually tryed quite a few of his directiona and have been just amazed at how those little things are working for me!

I've talked with him and he sounds so knowlegable because he lives ataxia too. I was skepitcal to even try but after 4 months of being very dilligent I'm all of a sudden seeing so many resultse. I feel as if this is a secret I'm jazzed it's available and I have access to his site!

I think his since of humor and outlook is just great! :0) I am working on getting my indurance up more to be available when I work with Dr Tom Clouse so I can last longer and get as much as I can from our session. I'm getting addicted to moving and who knew that would EVER happen to ME! :0) I'm not someone nor have I ever been someone that liked to exersize or should I say move before I even was diagnosed having ataxia.

Dennis R. Lord said:

Hi - I do a lot that Jeanie Ball does - some adaptive yoga - on the floor - for core, legss, etc. plus eat smi-healthy (can't sy raw - but I will definitely look into it) and meditate and focused breathing with affirmations daily.

As far as the job thing, I'm very sorry to hear about that...is there any way to start up your specialty at home? There might be funding available, if so.

Hi - Was just scoping out your side-bars - I'll have to Google this Dr Tom Clouse guy. I'm unsure who he is, and both of you guys seem like big fans. Also, I'm in the "midst" of moving, but once I settle down somewhere, an adult trike is in my plans...also does SF stand for San Francisco? I once wanted to move there, but I don't think the terrain would be a good match for my abilities...I'll live vicariously for now.

Dennis R. Lord said:

No Miz Jeannie,I didn't get the chance to work with Dr. Clouse.May be next time he's in GA or FL.Let us know how things turned out after you've worked with him!

Jeannie Ball said:

Hi Dennis,

Dennis R. Lord said:

Yes Juie, SF is San Francisco Ca. But Dr. Tom Clouse is traveling all over check out his website to see if he will be coming close to hyou or you can email him through his website too. Dr. Tom Clouse wwas featured here in a newsletter not to long ago too! :0)

Julie A. said:

Hi - Was just scoping out your side-bars - I'll have to Google this Dr Tom Clouse guy. I'm unsure who he is, and both of you guys seem like big fans. Also, I'm in the "midst" of moving, but once I settle down somewhere, an adult trike is in my plans...also does SF stand for San Francisco? I once wanted to move there, but I don't think the terrain would be a good match for my abilities...I'll live vicariously for now.

Dennis R. Lord said:

Jeannie Ball said:

Hi Dennis,

Dennis R. Lord said:

Hi BWGreen:

Ive been sitting her reading all the post and still jealous your running in a race. LOL My brother in law is a Marathon runner. His times are slow because that's the way he does it. Now I dont know what you have wrong with you. But it sounds like it is just starting whatever you have. I remember years ago when I started with my Ataxia strong. I loved to dance and wear high heels. (a thing of the past) If maybe I would have fought a little harder. I might have postponed it a little. So when I hear your entering in a race. Its not how fast you can do it. Its just that you finish! And if your out there practicing who the hell cares what you look like. Damn your out there doing it. How ever you can keep thoughts legs moving, Do it! I want to know how you did!

Lori

BWGreen said:

Thanks for the encouragement Lori - I'll keep going as long as I can! I don't run outside in the winter months - hitting an icy patch would be bad. But once the ice has all melted my biggest hurdle is getting over what others may think of me and how I am running - I'm sure I do a lot more distance than others. The upside - I get to see the entire path or road that I am running on! Kinda like how I golf - I really got my money's worth!

Gee I guess I miss understood what I read. Don't care about what other people think! Just do what you can!

BWGreen said: