Supplements, Vitamins etc... for cerebellar ataxia

Hello all,

My mother has cerebellar ataxia, I wanted to know if there any herbal supplement or vitamins that would help her.

A lot of people say coQ10, but I haven’t tried that yet personally; and intend to.

I take a B6 currently, and have also taken B12 and B-complex previously…mainly for energy. I also take a D3+Calcium and Fish Oil.

Whatever supplements you want to incorporate, you want to check with a professional to make sure the drug interaction is a good one.

Also, for other discussions on the topic, you can enter a key word in the search box next to the Sign-In link. Here’s a sample:

http://forum.livingwithataxia.org/main/search/search?q=Vitamins

I am 72 years old and have been using supplements since I turned 40. I think it has helped me cope with CA which wasnt diagnosed until I reached menopause.

I use low dosage CoQ10 and magnesium as well as most of those supplements already mentioned. Havent heard of D3 but going to check that one. GP prescribes calcium maybe D3 is included.

I also have cerebellar ataxia. I took brain supplements for 2 years that where recommended by a psychiatrist ( I was spending $200 per month) and it did not help. But supplementation is very individualized. Dr. Amen has a list he recommends. He was on PBS in the US recently. I still take Vit. D and B12. FishOil is supposed to be helpful too. I also did weekly acupuncture for 2 years and even tried chiropractors. Now I am trying essential oils. But doing all the alternative therapies may be keeping me from getting worse faster. Don't give up!!

Thanks for the input, I'll try staring my mother with CoQ10 and Omega 3 fish oil for starters. Thanks again

exercise - weights, machines.yoga ,qigong,eliptical

I take anabloc, coq 10. tibetan herbs ,genomic powder,greens first & boost,d3 400mg, thyroxine complex, fish oil, NAC,B12,probiotics

I am better so I do not know what helps

I have cranial osteopathy and accupuncture every week

Ido not know what helps but I can stand with my feet together and feel better

Theresa said:

I take anabloc, coq 10. tibetan herbs ,genomic powder,greens first & boost,d3 400mg, thyroxine complex, fish oil, NAC,B12,probiotics

gluten free diet for two years,vegan diet for 3 months,and dairy free

Thanks for the feed back Theresa, it was very informative.

Theresa said:

Theresa said:

gluten free diet for two years,vegan diet for 3 months,and dairy free

I take Cq10 B12 2Tflax seed oil, 2T Coconut oil along with 2 veggies a day with 2 salads a day and protein at every meal. Vit D3. I start out my day with Yogurt, probiotics. Sleep is important and focus movements like Yoga etc.for me now. Have you checked out Dr Tom Clouse's website yet? http://walkingwithataxia.com/index.html I find his stuff really helpful.

Hi, My daughter has SCA and has had it since a baby of 11 months or at least that when it was first obvious things weren't right but unfortunately we've never found out which of the many types she has as there aren't tests developed for all the types yet and the types there are tests for she has been cleared of. The atrophy of her cerebellum and severe balance problems and falling and nerve conduction test abnormality are her main symptoms along with pain.

As far as vitamins etc we were recommended by her Neurologist to take Co-Enzyme Q10 supplements and as we were told that she wouldn't be able to walk at all by the age of 12 and that she is now almost 17 and can still walk a short distance, I believe it has really helped her. According to her MRI scans and nerve conduction tests, the condition progression has slowed down and her pes cavus deformity of her feet has stopped progressing which in part may be due to some excellent Silicon leg splints she wears to help her foot position and ankle strength but I still believe that the Q10 is making a vast difference. If you research co-enzyme Q10 you can find out more about it as there has been lots of research on its use for ataxic conditions and proof it helps and if my daughters condition is anything to go on it does really work!

Good Luck to you and your mother

Best Wishes

April

Thank you so much for the feedback April.

Any time!

6_Three said:

Thank you so much for the feedback April.

I take 600 mg of CoQ10 (300 am/300 pm) per my neurologist and I believe it helps me. I also take a probiotic, multivitamin, Vitamin B12 (1000 mg), Vitamin D (1000 mg), 2 caps fish oil,1 cap flax seed oil. I mix 1 TBLS chia seeds, as well 1 TBLS flax seeds into yogurt or oatmeal. I also take 2 teaspoons of healthy oil each day. I try to eat as healthy as possible (lots of veggies and fresh fruit), and am phasing into being gluten, dairy and sugar-free. Exercising for strength and balance is essential for me (yoga, pilates, stretches, light hand weights, etc.). Of course, never take any vitamins or supplements without checking with your doctor first! In terms of exercise, do whatever you can do safely, as one can exercise while sitting if need be. ;o)

Thank you so much for your feed back Rose!!

rose said:

I take 600 mg of CoQ10 (300 am/300 pm) per my neurologist and I believe it helps me. I also take a probiotic, multivitamin, Vitamin B12 (1000 mg), Vitamin D (1000 mg), 2 caps fish oil,1 cap flax seed oil. I mix 1 TBLS chia seeds, as well 1 TBLS flax seeds into yogurt or oatmeal. I also take 2 teaspoons of healthy oil each day. I try to eat as healthy as possible (lots of veggies and fresh fruit), and am phasing into being gluten, dairy and sugar-free. Exercising for strength and balance is essential for me (yoga, pilates, stretches, light hand weights, etc.). Of course, never take any vitamins or supplements without checking with your doctor first! In terms of exercise, do whatever you can do safely, as one can exercise while sitting if need be. ;o)