A course about your emotions

Hi All

I have just returned from the first day of a course entitled Life after a Stroke. I realise a lot of it will not be applicable to us.Different initial physiccal cause but similar emotional impact.Thhere were a lot there mainly stroke victims and their carers.

As I already knew there were pros and cons to our illness.I found it difficult to speak but as usual was the youngest and most vocal. In my case my personality is not affected; some with strokes have to cope with this.I can use my arms;some could not and most could walk unlike me.Most can speak without difficulty.

After seeing our differences someone tried to be positive and said things could get better.In our case it is a progressive disease and in my case is getting worse.But again there are pros and cons.

The stroke victims talked about the shock of not being able to do things.Mine is gradual but you still see your previous skills being eroded. Whatever way it happens we all have similar emotions..

Loss, beeravement cycles,anxiety etc.I know what is being done as I used to teach the same thing as part of being head of RE.

I have thought and analysed these thoughts for myself but it took weeks.

I am hoping for a bit of a shortcut.I have reached similar conclusions but the course maybe good for me so I will continue to go to the other foursessions.

Many of the thoughts are in keeping with this site.

In spite of differing physical limitations I think it your personality which shines through.

You can be hampered by a lot of disabilities seen and unseen.It is your personality which sees something as a disability or a challenge.

Marie

thanks for sharing Marie.. very true about personality .. something I often dwell on.. I don't like my personality all time and wonder if we can truly judge our own personality or indeed change it. I was born to cockney parents and tried very hard to be different to them but feel that deep down, I am just as crude and judgemental as they were.

I can see similarities with stroke patients but neuro physio needs are very different. Stroke patients are trying to regain movement whilst we are trying not to lose it, right? Same exercises but different psychology.

Patsy

Hi,
I visit the hospital for my Physio needs three days in a week. Being a neuro muscular wing I see all kinds of ailments, disabilities, sad faces, their emotions etc. it makes me sad although I try to be strong. There are days I can exercise well but disappointments do surface when unable to do simple tasks. Our emotions play enormously in our daily activities. The only option for us is to stay strong in our endless battle. All the best to you, Marie.

Hello Marie,

I was very interested by your post since, as you may have read in my profile, I had a stroke in April of 2012 which, among other problems, resulted in ataxia.

Yes, there are differences between the two, but the end result, for me, at least, is the same. The difference is that in one short instant, I went from being the healthiest, most athletic person to a lump on the floor, miserably trying to crawl back to my bed, but unable to do so without the help of my husband. My stroke was a cerebellar stroke, one of the worst to come back from, the doctors told me because the tissues of the cerebellum are much denser than the other parts of the brain, making it difficult for the neurons to find new pathways to our healing.

So I went directly from walking and running to a wheelchair. Fortunately, since I was in good shape when the stroke happened and I had a terrific balance I had worked on since I was a child, it took but a few weeks to learn to stand up and walk again. I am still quite wobbly and still feel very “drunk” every single day, but I graduated from the wheelchair to a walker to no assistance at all, but when I am alone I do take a cane to be more secure.

After a few months of rehab, something told me I had reached the end of the road with my progression and although I am not giving up, I have accepted the fact that "it is what it is. "

There are things that cannot be changed and I feel that fighting constantly can be a waste of my energy that leads me nowhere but more frustration. All I want right now is peace and quiet.

I deal through my low moments with humor, which I find is the best medicine of all. It is not easy, but I manage.

I also hang on to the fact that my ataxia is not progressive. At least except for a very slightly slurred speech after the stroke, I can talk and think normally. My left arm is rather useless, not so much because of the stroke but the ataxia and it is better for me not to use it too much because it is behaving too crazy as it has a mind if its own. So does my left leg.

My personality has not been affected or so says by husband.

I am still me but with a new brain as my rehabilitation therapist said to me once. This new brain does not do what I want it to do, and I think it is because I got it in America where I have lived for the last 43 years and my original brain was from France were I was born. Different wiring I guess… :wink: that will do it!

One more word of wisdom: you are a terrific group of people and you have all my admiration.

Take care and stay as well as you can.

I think I have a lot in common with Cicina (except my brain is still Finnish :)). This as well:

Cicina said:

One more word of wisdom: you are a terrific group of people and you have all my admiration.

Take care and stay as well as you can.

It is what it is. Humour (whenever possible) and as peaceful a life as I can make it,

that's what gets me by. Best wishes to all. xB

Dear Marie, You seem to have grasped the gist of all this...,kudos to you, as you are very brave! I've read all the comments from everyone else thus far, and I agree with all! You are all doing the best you can as stroke/ataxia is very frustrating and challenging. I have ataxia, not caused by a stroke (have no idea why I have ataxia), and mine is progressive. I try hard not to think about that though, and live for today. I'll continue to exercise for strength and balance, as that is my main goal. Trying to keep ''symptoms" at bay for as long as is meant to be! Although I was active and athletic until diagnosed 10 years ago (at age 49), this is my new "normal", a new chapter in my life! Yes, I agree personality does make a difference. I'm a positive person, and I think that helps. I'm glad to be able to chat on this site, as you all are amazing! My best to everyone! ;o)