Alcohol

Ataxia sucks! We stagger no matter what. Our cerebellum has deteriorated already. Yes we can slow it down with out alcohol. But if its something we enjoy. Why not?

agreed enjoy

How are you doing Lori? Haven't talked with you in a while, and saw your post..., ;o)

drink is a big NO NO with me,it was drinking that gave me this ataxia so i would like to say that it is not a wise thing to do. 2 years ago it was christmas time and i thought that a few drinks would not do no harm. well i could not walk at all,could not leave the chair to go to the loo. NO i was not drunk,i had 2 drinks only.DRINK WILL EFFECT YOUR CEREBLLUM

Yes, but it will also keep u relaxed. It's a trade off. BTW, I have never heard of alcohlics getting ataxia. Maybe liver promlems...
stevenmc said:

drink is a big NO NO with me,it was drinking that gave me this ataxia so i would like to say that it is not a wise thing to do. 2 years ago it was christmas time and i thought that a few drinks would not do no harm. well i could not walk at all,could not leave the chair to go to the loo. NO i was not drunk,i had 2 drinks only.DRINK WILL EFFECT YOUR CEREBLLUM

neta this is from ataxia uk

Ataxia Caused by Alcohol
Ataxia means lack of coordination, and is the result of damage to a part of the brain called the
cerebellum which is responsible for coordinating movement. Common signs of ataxia are
unsteadiness, clumsiness, and slurred speech. Ataxia is a symptom of many different disorders
and can be transient or permanent.
Most people know from experience or from watching others that drinking alcohol affects balance
and coordination, and alcohol intoxication causes people who are not normally affected by ataxia
to look like they have developed all the classic signs (ie a wide-footed, unsteady gait, slurred
speech, clumsiness of their hands, movement, and double vision). After the acute phase of
intoxication all the symptoms are resolved.
Prolonged heavy drinking can cause damage to the brain resulting in permanent ataxia and other
problems, such as memory loss and confusion. Alcohol-related dementia is known as Korsakoff’s
syndrome.
Cerebellar ataxia as the result of alcohol seems to most often affect the legs, with patients saying
they have weak or ‘slow’ legs, and walking with a staggering gait. Another manifestation of alcohol
abuse is the damage to the peripheral nerves (peripheral neuropathy), especially involving the feet
and legs, with altered sensation of these parts of the body. This peripheral neuropathy, when
associated to the cerebellar ataxia, makes the unsteadiness and walking worse.
Damage from alcohol is probably the most common cause of chronic cerebellar ataxia and around
a third of alcoholics are affected. The damage may occur due to a combination of malnutrition and
the direct toxic effects of alcohol. Some individuals seem to be more susceptible than others to
these toxic effects so there is no precise definition of how much alcohol is required or how long
someone needs to drink heavily for before damage occurs. Once damage has occurred, the
symptoms continue to progress as long as excessive drinking is continued. If drinking stops, the
symptoms stabilise and occasionally may improve slightly with continued abstinence along with a
healthy diet and nutritional supplements as necessary.
The first step in treatment is stopping drinking. Ataxia UK can help people cope with living with
ataxia but there are other organisations which can provide specific information and support for
alcohol-related problems.

This is really interesting! Well, I hate the tase of whiskey, and dont know many drunks but wow. I understand now that its a bigger problem than I thought. Good work and thanks. Ditto for marijauna and so forth? N

stevenmc said:

neta this is from ataxia uk

Ataxia Caused by Alcohol
Ataxia means lack of coordination, and is the result of damage to a part of the brain called the
cerebellum which is responsible for coordinating movement. Common signs of ataxia are
unsteadiness, clumsiness, and slurred speech. Ataxia is a symptom of many different disorders
and can be transient or permanent.
Most people know from experience or from watching others that drinking alcohol affects balance
and coordination, and alcohol intoxication causes people who are not normally affected by ataxia
to look like they have developed all the classic signs (ie a wide-footed, unsteady gait, slurred
speech, clumsiness of their hands, movement, and double vision). After the acute phase of
intoxication all the symptoms are resolved.
Prolonged heavy drinking can cause damage to the brain resulting in permanent ataxia and other
problems, such as memory loss and confusion. Alcohol-related dementia is known as Korsakoff’s
syndrome.
Cerebellar ataxia as the result of alcohol seems to most often affect the legs, with patients saying
they have weak or ‘slow’ legs, and walking with a staggering gait. Another manifestation of alcohol
abuse is the damage to the peripheral nerves (peripheral neuropathy), especially involving the feet
and legs, with altered sensation of these parts of the body. This peripheral neuropathy, when
associated to the cerebellar ataxia, makes the unsteadiness and walking worse.
Damage from alcohol is probably the most common cause of chronic cerebellar ataxia and around
a third of alcoholics are affected. The damage may occur due to a combination of malnutrition and
the direct toxic effects of alcohol. Some individuals seem to be more susceptible than others to
these toxic effects so there is no precise definition of how much alcohol is required or how long
someone needs to drink heavily for before damage occurs. Once damage has occurred, the
symptoms continue to progress as long as excessive drinking is continued. If drinking stops, the
symptoms stabilise and occasionally may improve slightly with continued abstinence along with a
healthy diet and nutritional supplements as necessary.
The first step in treatment is stopping drinking. Ataxia UK can help people cope with living with
ataxia but there are other organisations which can provide specific information and support for
alcohol-related problems.

Dear Neta, Too much alcohol can cause ataxia, as alcohol neurologically effects the cerebellum. It's listed on many sites as a cause...;o)

Dear Rose,

I guess that is true, Just I never saw anyone I know (who drinks, my brother in law, ex-boss, friend's huband, my husband, friend's son) have ataxia. In fact, I never saw anyone with ataxia or even heard of it till the dr. said she thought I had it. On a separate matter, it really bugs me how "discoveries" regarding the brain, are made and talked about until they turn out either 2 b frauds or irrelevant. N PS I never drank anything just some wine here and there,

rose said:

Dear Neta, Too much alcohol can cause ataxia, as alcohol neurologically effects the cerebellum. It's listed on many sites as a cause...;o)

Hi Again Neta, I don't think an alcoholic drink once in a while causes ataxia. I think excessive alcoholic drinking is the culprit, in some cases. I, like you, had never heard of ataxia before I was diagnosed. And, in my case, I (and my neurologist) have no idea why I have it. Like you I only had an occasional glass of wine or even rarely, a mixed drink. On your separate matter, I agree Neta! One has to be really careful regarding "discoveries". Unfortunately, there's a lot of fraud out there! 'o)

hi neta. the reason i got ataxia was as i said drink,but i am not talking about the odd drink here and there. i was a big time drinker.i was so bad on the drink that it was the first thing i done in the morning had a drink. it took over my life,i lost my wife ,kids house and job over drink.this ataxia i have is gods way that got me off the drink.if i had not got this ataxia well put it this way,i would not be typing this now i would be dead and i hang my head in shame for what i have done.

Hi there Rose,

Yes, well, this very senior neurologist says I got this as part of an auto immune thing and put me on IVIg. I also have elevated (bad) antibodies in my blood. IVIg is not like some miracle cure, I am still dizzy like crazy and unstable when I stand and there are many movements I can no longer do. Also it feels harder and harder to get words out. I would like to change my diet but it seems so hard what with my huband and so forth, I do have some wine now and then. As I have sai Pass the vino. N

rose said:

Hi Again Neta, I don't think an alcoholic drink once in a while causes ataxia. I think excessive alcoholic drinking is the culprit, in some cases. I, like you, had never heard of ataxia before I was diagnosed. And, in my case, I (and my neurologist) have no idea why I have it. Like you I only had an occasional glass of wine or even rarely, a mixed drink. On your separate matter, I agree Neta! One has to be really careful regarding "discoveries". Unfortunately, there's a lot of fraud out there! 'o)

Hi Steven, Don't be so hard on yourself, at least you no longer drink! That's something to be very proud of!
I'm sorry you lost the most important people in your life though. Alcoholism is an illness as you know now! Glad you found this site, as the people on here can offer understanding and support. We're all in this together, as we have ataxia for a number of reasons. You're not alone in your journey..., ;o)

Hi there Stevenmc,

Ii sounds like you drank alot. Personally, I don't like the taste of whisky. To me, it tastes like Listerine. I have red wine here and there or a cocktail. Alcohol makes me sleepy. Maybe your family will return to you now that they know you have ataxia. We can't understand God's ways. Be strong and try to see the splendor in the grass. N

stevenmc said:

hi neta. the reason i got ataxia was as i said drink,but i am not talking about the odd drink here and there. i was a big time drinker.i was so bad on the drink that it was the first thing i done in the morning had a drink. it took over my life,i lost my wife ,kids house and job over drink.this ataxia i have is gods way that got me off the drink.if i had not got this ataxia well put it this way,i would not be typing this now i would be dead and i hang my head in shame for what i have done.

thank so much rose.
rose said:

Hi Steven, Don't be so hard on yourself, at least you no longer drink! That's something to be very proud of!
I'm sorry you lost the most important people in your life though. Alcoholism is an illness as you know now! Glad you found this site, as the people on here can offer understanding and support. We're all in this together, as we have ataxia for a number of reasons. You're not alone in your journey..., ;o)

@Stevenmc and any that want to read it,

We are all different! Some can drink alcohol and some cannot or choose not to. I explained about my alcohol use / misuse in an earlier post and how I chose to cut down then stop my alcohol consumption. I have to say though that I was, for a long time, very angry at myself and hard on myself for what I allowed to happen to me relating over consumption of alcohol. It takes time to heal [as many would say] but I hope that you can come to a time of realization [as I did] that 'cutting oneself up' so to speak about past indiscretion is not a healthy thing. The past is the past and we should definitely learn from it but not allow it to ruin our present.

Kind regards,

Michael.

thank you for that michael,very wise words.

That also helped me a lot Michael.I spent 10 years with AA anfd gave up completely 10 years ago also.

Now I don't drink but now have CA and feel guilty in case my previous drinking brought on the Ataxia. A Counsellor is trying

to put me right about this aspect.I still feel guilty but as my daughter says she would rather have me now than with all the problems that come with heavy drinking.