Am I eligible for SSDI?

Hi Chris,

I spent weeks driving to the park each day to nap during my lunch hour; it didn't help in the long-term. I also consumed a lot of caffeine and cut back on my meds...very poor choices which aggravated my symptoms. Unfortunately, fatigue is inevitable. Of all the adjustments this disease has required, losing my career was the most difficult so far. I'm sending hugs and warm thoughts as you make these difficult transitions.....

Hi Grace, that is exactly what I am doing now. I drive to a park and rest in my van! I am not sure how long I can hold on this!

Thank you for your understanding so much!

chris I was approved for SSDI after my first try and had no positive results from any labwork. However I did have a doctor who had diagnosed me as likely SCA ataxia early on and I submitted it and the viestibular tests I had which were abnormal. they asked me to see their doctor as the paperwork wasn’t much and I was approved. If your doctor says you have Ataxia this has more weight than nearly anything else. all he has to do is say you can’t work on the form they send him and they’ll approve it. Like you I didn’t want to stop working but realized I wasn’t able to keep up. I was in a highly competitive field. I didn’t use an attorney but am a former bureaucrat and understood what was needed paperwork-wise. If you decide to apply you must give up your job first. You must be unable to work, although my brother says this requirement may have changed. get an attorney. They’ll work for any back payments owed once you are awarded. This can be substantial so be sure you put a dollar limit on this so you know the maximum you will be paying. Be sure to tell them your doctor supports you and you have Ataxia. They will know if you can be working part time and still apply. good luck.

I’ve had a similar experience to others, I was approved right away based on my doctors diagnosis.

In my case, I first had State Disability insurance, and then after six months, my companies private disability insurance kicked in. Also based on forms I filled out and Dr. Diagnosis. It didn’t increase what I received, because that policy ( in my case) is offset by any government benefits. The private insurance had a representative who helped fill out and submit the Social Security benefits, which kicked in when my state disability ran out after a year.

I was surprised, as I’d heard so many stories of people fighting for years to get benefits, but Ataxia apparently falls in the automatic approval category. Assuming you have the fiagnosis and can’t work anymore.

As others have said though, don’t forget there are waiting periods.