Disability Exam

I applied for SS Disability in August in the US - online. I know they have contacted my doctors asking for records, and they have requested additional information from me as far as work history and daily activities. I am scheduled to meet with their doctor tomorrow for an exam.

I am thinking this is a positive sign. Can anyone confirm that or tell me what to expect?

I think you should not take any meds for your condition as this could give them a reason to say you are not that ill. You do NOT want to be at your best or you could be denied. I know my father in law had this problem and he finally stopped his meds which included pain meds and spansule dexadrine and then the examination had to be in his home. Jerry

I used a lawyer but it went through as soon as I had a diagnosis from a doctor. Good luck.

It’s a evaluation cause there not sure u are fully disabled. I agree don’t take urs meds as they will say you can function on them.i am wwent through the same thing with my daughter now we are going to see. Judge for him to decide!.

My visit to their Dr. was kind of a joke. Just be honest. Be prepared to verbalize your bad days. I know I have really bad and relatively good days. Also, be prepared to wait a couple of years for the whole process of SS to take place. It might not take that long or it might. Anxiety is a hallmark of this disease, don't worry! Most people who get SS end up going through a lawyer. If you do not have one, see if your long term disability insurance(if you have that) provides an advocacy group for you. Ataxia is a fairly new disease. The professionals have not known about it too long. I live in Las Vegas and my case took a while but could have taken longer. My Brother lives in Illinois or Missouri, have not been to his new house, cannot fly. Anyway, he claims he got more of a benefit for having Ataxia. I do not believe this is the same in every state.

I just read the other posts. When I went to their Dr. I was having a bad day, I think that helped. The person who told you not to take your meds was onto something. I take pain meds and antidepressant meds and eat clean and all sorts of things but if you go skipping into that appointment on a relatively good day, it will be written down that you are not so bad. I think it took close to a year or more after my Dr. visit to be approved. So many people scam SS (Grrrr) that they are overly careful.Also, be ready to be denied at least once. Appeal the decision and get a lawyer.

Yes, that is a positive sign. I applied for disability with the help of my neurologist at the University of Illinois Hospital & was approved within 3 months. I was not on meds, but if you are I cannot see how that can preclude you from receiving disability. Many people who are disabled take meds, & the SS personnel is aware of that. It is your diagnosis that matters.

Yes, it is a positive sign. I applied for disability through my neurologist at the University of IL Hospital & was approved within 3 months. Other than my diagnosis & records from the previous neurologist & former employer, the support staff of the Neurological Dept. was also instrumental in helping me with the quick turnaround. Also, I had a benign brain tumor that was resected a few years earlier, & this may have helped my case. God bless.

Thanks for all the input. I will let you know how it goes.

I do not know anything about disability benefits. Does a person have to be working in order to apply and get this help? My husband of 72 has Ataxia. It's progressing slowly, thank God, but I am wondering if the time comes, can a he apply for disability help he is also getting social security? Thank you, Janet

I am on disability and I applied online. I think a DNA report is very helpful. My sister is too, she retained a lawyer, but never used them.

Scott Andrae

I would NOT leave out mentioning about medication. Medication will be in your medical history anyway, that is if you have it on prescription. Then they will aready know. So be honest. Ataxia is hard enough as it is. Just make them take you seriously. Best of luck!

Take your meds. Be prepare to be approved in 18 months. It is a long procedure with lots of tests, but definitely get a pro-bono lawyer through the state!

I was approved in 6 months. The exam likely means they are about to decide. Show the doc your worst symptoms. Don’t go in looking spry and symptom free. They need to see your symptoms so they can document them for the file. Mine are not the same day to day. Fatigue, sugar, caffeine all affect my symptoms. Look your worst.

Janet I don't think so if he is on SS.

Janet said:

I do not know anything about disability benefits. Does a person have to be working in order to apply and get this help? My husband of 72 has Ataxia. It's progressing slowly, thank God, but I am wondering if the time comes, can a he apply for disability help he is also getting social security? Thank you, Janet

Sounds encouraging. it look me 2 years to get SSI in Maine and I used a lawyer. I never has an exam so I can not help you there. Once I got a diagnosis things started moving. My claim was retroactive after the 6 month waiting period. How old are you? I think SSI is easier to get if you are over 50.

It's a good sign. It means things are moving along. Their doctor just is verifying that your case is not a scam. After I applied (for the 3rd time) I heard nothing- not a word. Out of the blue 4 months later I rec'd a letter to visit their doctor. He was concise with no small talk. He spent maybe 5 to 10 minutes, watched me walk with my walker, and ordered xrays and left. [Why he ordered x-rays of my left hand---I don't know.]

I went home thinking I'll have to get an attorney. I was sure I wasn't approved. 2 months later I rec'd a letter saying payments would start next month.

1. DON'T WORK at all until your claim is approved. As soon as you work one day your claim is null/void and you have to start over.
  2. I have SCA2 and it is on their list of conditions they consider disabling (neurological disorders) so I just had to provide proof of the doctors and tests performed when I was first diagnosed and any paperwork that supports that you are disabled.
  3. I went to my neurologist to see if I was "disabled" and if they thought I should apply. I think it helped SSDI to make a determination because I had my neuro's exam and support that I was disabled.
  4. I didn't have to go thru their exam with another doctor so I don't know about that, I wouldn't take anything that masks your symptoms. May show them nothing is wrong.
  5. I applied in October 2014 and I had a decision by the end of December 2014. My sister-in-law has spinal stenosis and it took her about 2 years.

If you are disabled it is different, you can be any age. The medical diagnosis does. I'm 49 and getting disability.

gelu65 said:

Janet I don't think so if he is on SS.

Janet said:

I am about to turn 56 at the end of this month - I have not worked since the end of July.

Debora Warner said:

Sounds encouraging. it look me 2 years to get SSI in Maine and I used a lawyer. I never has an exam so I can not help you there. Once I got a diagnosis things started moving. My claim was retroactive after the 6 month waiting period. How old are you? I think SSI is easier to get if you are over 50.