Anxiety

I have a lot of anxiety and some depression- anybody with any help or know how I can get some relief?

For my depression, I use Cymbalta and it helps a lot.

JSB

Hi PC!

This is a toughie and probably best answered 'man to man' but here goes!

Depression and anxiety built up like a pressure cooker for me in the years

leading up to diagnosis. Actually getting the diagnosis (in 2011) was

something of a relief, I thought I was losing my mind (literally).

To cut to the chase, I was so desperate, I went to a womens' only

self help group, where we talked things out between ourselves, the group

was led by a therapist. This was only about 6 sessions but it helped me

get things into perspective.

In addition to this, like JC I take 50mg of Sertraline.

I still have ups and downs, it's the nature of the condition. But I can

move forward now, life is actually a lot better. xB

It all depends where you live I would contact your go for a referral to your local community mental health team all again depends what would work for you. I work in s mental health team (NHS) in Staffordshire we offer projects such as drama therapy, rural care farms, glass making, walking for health, and my favourite dog therapy training among many more. Its amazing what is out there.

Sarah

pc, go to a psychiatrist who specializes in depression and anxiety. If your condition is brain chemistry imbalance (most likely), you'll see improvement in around 3 weeks. My Psychotic Break in 2000 put me in "Black Hole"...it took 2 years to succeed in a "drug cocktail) that created balance in my stability. I've been on the cocktail for 13 yrs.

BTW, my Ataxia was traced back to the trauma of the "Break", whereby I became partially paralyzed on my entire right side. Keep in mind that one-third of Ataxia victims are doomed by trauma.

Assuming you are an Ataxia victim, I advise that you seek some relief from prescription drugs and be monitored by a Neurologist.

Hi Sarah!

Great advice! I would probably have to be referred to Morpeth, because we are classed

as Northumberland. But, I'll make enquiries. xB

Sarah Lacey said:

It all depends where you live I would contact your go for a referral to your local community mental health team all again depends what would work for you. I work in s mental health team (NHS) in Staffordshire we offer projects such as drama therapy, rural care farms, glass making, walking for health, and my favourite dog therapy training among many more. Its amazing what is out there.

Sarah

There are many medications that can help. Exercise of any type can release endorphins that make us feel better. Getting 20 minutes of sunshine daily. Even on cloudy days. Listening to happy music. Avoid the news....I could go on and on regarding this one. Be intentional about relationships with safe people. Nurture those relationships by making sure to get-together on a regular basis. Having a dog is amazing for depression. They love you unconditionally. All of these are good including many of the other ideas folks here have suggested.

I take a different track on depression. For me, helping other people is always the "cure" for my depression. Works every time. We all have something to offer to help someone else. Including you "pc". Start looking around to see who needs your help. :-)

My story: A drug I was taking for a heart condition (Inderal) caused me to be severely depressed, as a side effect of this drug is depression. Along with my depression, I also had severe anxiety. That was 20 years ago. Eventually, I had heart surgery to repair the problem and stated taking an anti-depressant. I was feeling better and then found out my first husband had terminal cancer. My doctor told me to stay on the anti-depressant. He died and a couple years later, I was diagnosed with ataxia. Therefore, I stayed on the anti-depressant (200 mg Sertraline), and although I have ataxia, it helps me as it balances the chemicals in my brain. I tried (with my doctors advice) weening off it a couple times, but started to fall into depression again. My doctor also tried cutting back the dosage, to no avail. That's my story and I'm sticking with it...,ha! Anyway, pc, I'd talk with your doctor and see what the best course of action is. Just know there is help! My best to you..., ;o)

So far, I have avoided depression, but I knew it was a possible side effect of Ataxia so I talked to my PCP about it early on. She asked me a lot of questions and said she could prescribe zoloft that it worked well for elderly people, talk to my family about it, and mean time exercise and try doing something to help others. I tried to busy myself with various projects and what ever I can, I do with someone else in mind. Like I said, so far no meds. Sounds like Julie and my doc are on the same page. I realize that some cases may be so far advanced as to need meds but the exercise, sunshine, and thinking of others should help even in those cases. I'd try it.

Drugs, exercise, rest, drugs, exercise. rest. drugs exercise, rest. I take 200 mg's sertraline daily, known here as Lustral after food. There is no magic formula. The injured brain does this, apparently. Also, there is the fear factor. My shrink says I am suffering trauma from the original diagnosis. I find this hard to believe because the ataxia is so physical. But who knows?? I sweat alot and experience hot flashes which are not menopausal. The rest will give your brain some relief and your "soul" some confidence. I find the mornings hardest; the late night, the best. Reluctant to go to sleep even though I love sleep. Good luck

Hi pc- I had therapy for anxiety but only 6-week course. I now use Hypnotherapy downloads .. usually after lunch but different for everyone.

Exercise helps but I find it difficult to discipline myself to exercise when depressed. I even find helping others difficult when depressed and just feel resentful and guilty. My husband gets me out of it.. dont know what I would do without him.

Best of all is this forum which I find the most reassuring of all. Keep posting .. let us know how you get on. x

There is a lot to take in if you are diagnosed with Ataxia.I live in England and had anxiety and depression for about 10 years and wondered what hit me.Both can take time but remember depression is an illness of the brain too.Be kind to yourself and don't feel guilty about accepting help.It can be in the form of medication or cognitive behaviour therapy.

With me the depression was clinical and medication helped. It may have been a forerunner of the Ataxia as I had them both years before the Ataxia manifest itself.

You can get some help to combat depression.You ask and they are usually happy to give as it is something tangible.

Depression and anxiety are horrible when they happen but they are transient although it doesn't feel at the time.I remember taking great comfort at the time from a friend who knew what she was talking about when she said "These too will pass".Hang on in there.You have my sympathies.

I have been on depression medicen for 20 years. there is no test to prove that you have depression.

so they can not say that you have a chemistry imbalance . these medicine change your brain.

when you start them you have no emotions. laugh. cry.. it is just a way for the drug com to make

money. once you start them . you will never get off of them. and most of the drugs they have not

done any long term studys. and your dr does not tell you the the whole truth about about the meds.

if you think that these meds are going to make you happy. wrong.

I respectively disagree 1110lee. I've been on my anti-depressant for 20 years also, and I DO have emotions, as I still feel sad at times, I cry and I laugh. My meds are NOT a happy pill. I was clinically depressed, as well as having severe anxiety. I felt overwhelmed, unable to concentrate and guilty for feeling this way, among other horrible symptoms! The problem was, I didn't know why. Now, when I feel sad, I know why! I did cognitive therapy along with taking an anti-depressant, which was very helpful! Although I have ataxia (10 years), I am very happy and at peace! Everyone is different, and I wish your experience was better! ;o)

I posted a 12 step free on line video that helps with aggravations depressions etc. Your not alone. I think it's a normal thing we all go through from time to time.

. Watch this to see if it can help you out some! http://www.recovery2point0.com/

Turning to God for help made all the difference in the world for me. I was not a Christian the first few years of my diagnosis, but I am now, and God has really changed my outlook on life....just saying what worked for me!! Good luck!

Passion flower herb or tea and/or kava kava herb, exercise, sunlight, and fresh air might help decrease anxiety. Also, I used to be on Wellbutrin - an anti-depressant which I actually didn’t even know was an anti-depressant until recently - which seemed to help me. You might want to get more recommendations from a professional who knows your case better.

Thank you all for your imput. I was diagnosed with sca in april 2013 but had progressive symptoms for many years, this thing that I have is hard to deal with, thanks for all the support.

I try to be magnanimous to prescriptive doctors and the pharmaceutical industry but I'm afraid that for cerebellar problems cerebellar toxins are a last choice for a long term treatment and in the short term the "rebound" (drug withdrawal) depression can be worse than any biological origin and longer to recover from. I have never taken anti-depressents but I know far too many people who have had too deal with long term issues post withdrawal that they never had before medication. Caveat Emptor! Besides this CBT has been found to be more effective than perscriptives and far less risk.

1110lee, be well, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

1110lee said:

I have been on depression medicen for 20 years. there is no test to prove that you have depression.

so they can not say that you have a chemistry imbalance . these medicine change your brain.

when you start them you have no emotions. laugh. cry.. it is just a way for the drug com to make

money. once you start them . you will never get off of them. and most of the drugs they have not

done any long term studys. and your dr does not tell you the the whole truth about about the meds.

if you think that these meds are going to make you happy. wrong.

I sure relate to this! :0) Having God guide every step that I can take takes off the burden for me.

Kathy Walsh said:

Turning to God for help made all the difference in the world for me. I was not a Christian the first few years of my diagnosis, but I am now, and God has really changed my outlook on life....just saying what worked for me!! Good luck!