AON treatment for SCA 3

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with AON treatment. I ran into this on the https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28918024/

My neurologist thinks ASO in humans (rather then mice) are the next thing to come into trial.

:thinking: What is AON treatment…and ASO

Antisense Oligonucleotides (also known as ASOs or AONs) are small molecules that can be used to prevent or alter the production of proteins. Proteins are the workforce of the cell, taking care of most cellular processes. They are generally made in a two-step process: first, a specific protein-coding gene is converted into an instruction file, called the messenger RNA (mRNA). The mRNA carries the information from that gene to the compartment of the cell that builds proteins. There, the mRNA’s information then gets converted into the protein. ASOs are short single stranded pieces of DNA that match the complementary sequence of a specific mRNA. Based on the type of chemical modifications, the ASO can have two different effects on the mRNA. Some modifications of ASOs trigger the destruction of the mRNA. This will result in the loss of the corresponding protein. Other modifications can mask only certain parts of the mRNA leading to a modified version of the protein.

1 Like