Ataxia and hiccups

Hi. As you all know, or may be not all, my daughter is 9 years old and she has ataxia with cerebellum and pons atrophy. We are on the process of whole exom now, because ataxia panel shows us nothing. Not diagnosed yet.

Today I’ve mentioned that she has hiccups for almost whole day and now mentioned 20 minutes at night when she was sleeping… never seen like this…

Do you have also often hiccups? Is it common for ataxia people with cerebellum atrophy?

Thanks.

:slightly_smiling_face: I can’t recall reading any posts about hiccups, and I haven’t had this myself.

Sorry. HIccups are not part of my symptoms.

Mine either, and thank God. Random sneezes and farts are dangerous enough…

Hi my name is Sam and I had a brain tumour removed in 1983 which lead to acquired cerebellar ataxia. I have Experienced hiccups. These came on for no particular reason and only lasted for a few minutes and then went. I’m not sure why - I did think this was weird and wondered why but you have just confirmed to me it was the ataxia, one of the many symptoms, so thank you!

Hi, I have gotten hiccups (right now I have them) but it is from the anesthesia I had from certain procedures. I have several issues with my back from all the falling I do and my body is reacting differently from getting anesthesia. It will last only a few days but drives me crazy! :weary: Try having her breath slowing in from the nose out from the mouth. Hope that helps. Sorry cannot help you more!

:slightly_smiling_face:Hi Sam, welcome. I must be lucky because this is one symptom I’ve not yet been challenged with :wink:

Hi @Milana-A! I always encourage people to do a search on the site. You can find it at the top right of the page. I typed in hiccups, and got a few results. You might want to bring this up with the doctor as well, if this continues to be problematic.

Here’s the search results

Sharon

I have Friedreich’s Ataxia and struggle with hiccups. I don’t get them often but do avoid things like soda that can trigger them. When I do get them They last for hours! Everything I’ve used to stop them only works for me once so basically my body for some stupid reason adapts to whatever the ‘cure’ was. People laugh at me for maybe the first half an hour than realize it’s not a joke then try to help by giving me all the standard fixes like hold your breath, chug water, etc… it becomes physically exhausting, socially awkward, then I’m sore for several days after. Most of the time they last about 1-3 hours but have gone as long as 5.

:hushed: 5hrs… I really can’t imagine what that must be like. Fingers crossed it doesn’t get any worse.

I have frequent hiccups, but fortunately, drinking some water works for me. I found the trick that works for me. I get some water in my mouth and before swallowing,I concentrate for a few seconds and “forcefully” swallow it.
Usually works the first time! If it does not, I repeat the process one more time…
PS my ataxia is acquired from a stroke, seven years ago.

2 Likes