Balance-Vest & Medicare

Hi all,
Has anyone got Balance-Vest through Medicare? If you have please let me know how did you do it and what diagnosis did you use.
I have spino-cerebellar ataxia diagnosis and Medicare denies the vest for diagnosis of ataxia.
Please help.

Also, please let me know how can I get Medicare to replace the regular walker that it got me with an Active Access Rollator? I got the walker last year, and at that time I did not know about rollator and neither did my PT. I just learned about the rollator through this online support group, and believe that the rollator would be better for me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The Balance-Vest comes in two models. One is covered by Medicare and the other is not. The one covered by Medicare features a back brace. You should consult the Balance Wear website. They can put you in touch with a PT that has been trained by Cindy Horn (or one of her affiliates) to fit you with the appropriate model. They can also give you the lay of the land regarding your healthcare provider's interface with Medicare. Hope this helps. Good luck! . .

My Mom and Aunt both had their vests covered by Medicare. They first got a prescription for the vest from their neurologist. This was two years ago, so I don’t know if anything has changed with coverage. At that time, the vest was approved for MS by Medicare, so that was what made it necessary for the prescription from the neurologist. Hope thus helps.

Yes my vest was covered by Medicare.and I too have a dollar of walker..that was covered too.I also have a power chair that.I paid in to it but the MAJORITY was covered..AND I don't have a clear diagnosis..could be my neurologist felt bad for me..lol

..so hope that helps

Oh yeah..that's what I had to get..a prescription..from neurologist...

My vest doesn't work for me anymore..my symptoms are worse..

Hi Diana,

Don’t you need to see the PT again to be reassessed and see if the weights need to be repositioned or their quantity changed as the ataxia progresses? This is how it works, no?

I have had my vest a little over 2 years now. Been re-weighted 3 times. I was wearing the vest sporadically for a while and thinking it was not as effective as in the beginning. I was re-weighted by Cindy Horn and increased the time I am wearing the vest daily. Doing MUCH better. Things do change just due to the nature of this condition. Might be helpful to change haw you are wearing the vest. Originally, I was wearing the vest 2-4 hours most days. I’m currently wearing the vest 6-8 hours a day. The change has worked for me.

mabe pearl said:

Hi,

The Balance-Vest comes in two models. One is covered by Medicare and the other is not. The one covered by Medicare features a back brace. You should consult the Balance Wear website. They can put you in touch with a PT that has been trained by Cindy Horn (or one of her affiliates) to fit you with the appropriate model. They can also give you the lay of the land regarding your healthcare provider's interface with Medicare. Hope this helps. Good luck! . .

No mine doesn't have a.backstage but it was covered by Medicare..and I'm a lot worse than I was when I was tested for it..and had to travel to get to the pt..who was trained by Cindy..

I couldn't get back there even if..I could..

Plus.I don't have ataxia.according to my neurologist..but no one seems to have..any ideas

I've been gradually getting worse..more quickly now..(almost 10 yrs now)

I've basically given up on giving "it" a name..

I have an appointment with a holistic Dr.in September..

This is the last Dr..I'm going to

My PT used a diagnosis of a “Trunk instability” rather than Ataxia to get my insurance pt pay. That may work with Medicare as well.

Kathy

I received a balance vest and to be honest I don’t think that it really seemed to have helped. Plus it’s hot and uncomfortable.