Balance

I know that we're all affected differently but has anyone out there found something that helps with these balance issues?

Hi Myra - As you said, everyone's affected differently, and different things work for different people.

Core strength - any exercise that builds your core (stomach and lower back muscles) - can help with balance.

Some say that the weight vest has helped their balance issues significantly. There are a few discussion boards on here if you're interested in that option, and if you want to do a search on it for more information (up by the login).

I found tai chi and hydrotherapy helpful. Nothing stops it completely, but they seemed to make it less severe.

Yes, preventing falls is the most important thing as injuries can really set you back.

I think good footwear helps, such as trainers and a rollator especially when carrying things.

As already mentioned, core strength is very important too.

Funnily enough I had another fall going toilet. I’ve had a stroke,and the Ataxia effects my balance when i stand I,shake .i hold on to chair to help,me get on the toilet,then I have to pull,doŵn knickers and trousers, if I start to wobble and fall like a tree.i try to be careful but am having problems wiping and pulling up.

HI, My husband relearned to walk and balance through Dr. Tom Clouse. He has a website walking with ataxia. Dr. Clouse spent two weeks working with him and it was amazing.
We had tried everything else, meds, nutrition, exercise and while they all helped a little, it was the instruction and practice with Tom that proved the most significant.
Feel free to contact me if you would like more info or if I can answer any questions.
My best to you,

Same here Kim.

I’ve used Balancewear and it helps. http://www.motiontherapeutics.com/our-products/bw300-versatile-vest/

My balance and vertigo issues are stroke related too. *6years now

I put a lot of physiotherapy work into improving my balance. I have worked on the three s -- strength, stability and stamina/ Strength so you have a better ability to right and more protection for joints and bones by your muscles when you do have injuries. (right as in pull yourself to a good position when falling or tipping usually using core muscles)

Stamina because more tired means more risk of falls. so do best to keep up your energy levels overall

stability. That involves working on the systems that help keep one balanced, for stroke survivors that includes doing things 1000;s of time to rebuild neuro pathways. (proprioception, -- knowing where you body is in space, vestibular system-- your inner ears signals about balance and how your vision problems and touch problems might be giving you wrong one sided information.)

I did aquatic therapy with a trained physiotherapist

tai chi -adapted

wear good boring shoes

use a walker or cane

sit on a balance ball for a while for exercises and watching TV

lots of physio (vestibular rehabilitation training)

made changes in the house.. rails everywhere, bath chair, cupboards fitted with drawers that pull out and up.

I forgot something very important. lol

The physiotherapist taught me to isolate motions to help maintain balance. So don't get out of a chair and turn to walk. stand, stop, take a breath, ... turn body. stop, take a breath ... start walking straight and start slow at first. looking in the direction you are going. With a bit of time this gets more automatic and a bit faster.

My balance and vertigo issues are stroke related too. *6years now

I put a lot of physiotherapy work into improving my balance. I have worked on the three s -- strength, stability and stamina/ Strength so you have a better ability to right and more protection for joints and bones by your muscles when you do have injuries. (right as in pull yourself to a good position when falling or tipping usually using core muscles)

Stamina because more tired means more risk of falls. so do best to keep up your energy levels overall

stability. That involves working on the systems that help keep one balanced, for stroke survivors that includes doing things 1000;s of time to rebuild neuro pathways. (proprioception, -- knowing where you body is in space, vestibular system-- your inner ears signals about balance and how your vision problems and touch problems might be giving you wrong one sided information.)

I did aquatic therapy with a trained physiotherapist

tai chi -adapted

wear good boring shoes

use a walker or cane

sit on a balance ball for a while for exercises and watching TV

lots of physio (vestibular rehabilitation training)

made changes in the house.. rails everywhere, bath chair, cupboards fitted with drawers that pull out and up.

Any type of exercise seems to be helpful. I found an exercise class that is for people with problems (neck, shoulder, back, balance, age). The trainer finds ways that you can do a certain exercise. You never feel like you can't do something.

Keep moving but do it safely. You have to find what works for you. Some people need nothing, Others need canes or wheelchairs or walkers.

I get my ivig every 2 weeks , so about at the end just before my meds I need a walker and good shoes also help . Say good by to fashion ! But slowly getting up helps. Born shoes are awesome !

What has helped me is my cycling. I has built up my legs, and thus I believe lowering my center of gravity.

I actually have a service dog. I can do things that I can't with a walker. He helps me up stairs an uneven surfaces. My life is more normal, but yet different. He's a gorgeous Collie and I can't go anywhere in a hurry. People want to stop and talk about him constantly. But people don't think I'm drunk anymore, they focus on Cooper.

I started taking Magnesium for leg cramps that I get a lot, and it seems to be helping with my balance SOMEWHAT.

Rest and the right diet. When I eat gluten, grains, and sugar my balance is worse..

Good sleep is #1. Today I watched a video (http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448) of a guy with my balance without ataxia but with a diagnosis from his doctor that he would never walk again unassisted. The video takes you through his progression from giving up to running! It’s the most inspiring thing I’ve seen. Yoga! Who would have thought. He fell many times trying to improve. Sitting and giving up will rob you of your mobility. I know this from trying to do things I shouldn’t and then improving. My balance is better than it was 5 years ago! Not without falls. I also saw a great segment on national news about a program at university of Illinois in Chicago that is teaching 80 yr olds with serious balance issues how not to fall. The improvement came after literally tripping them over and over again until they gradually figured out how to catch themselves without assistance. The idea is that the muscles themselves have a memory that can be trained. Sounds good to me.

I personally responded well to doing a lot of that balance challenging training.. but in water. not as likely to get bruises or break anything. Yoga is awesome help and Tai Chi is particularly good for dynamic gait or when you are moving and shifting your balance from foot to foot when walking.

maryseas said:

Good sleep is #1. Today I watch a video (http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448) of a guy with my balance without ataxia but with a diagnosis from his doctor that he would never walk again unassisted. The video takes you through his progression from giving up to running! It's the most inspiring thing I've seen. Yoga! Who would have thought. He fell many times trying to improve. Sitting and giving up will rob you of your mobility. I know this from trying to do things I shouldn't and then improving. my balance is better than it was 5 years ago! Not without falls. I also saw a great segment on national news about a program at university of Illinois in Chicago that is teaching 80 yr olds how not to fall. The improvement came after literally tripping them over and over again until they gradually figured out how to catch themselves without assistance. The idea is that the muscles themselves have a memory that can be trained. Sounds good to me.

Would a bidet be of any use to you. We have one and wife loves it. They have different configurations so you may find something useful to you.

KimKillone said:

Funnily enough I had another fall going toilet. I've had a stroke,and the Ataxia effects my balance when i stand I,shake .i hold on to chair to help,me get on the toilet,then I have to pull,doŵn knickers and trousers, if I start to wobble and fall like a tree.i try to be careful but am having problems wiping and pulling up.

Isn't this why we are here? Looking for something that somehow magically cures our balance issues?