Balancing act

Man crazy day. Feel like I am on a moving boat when I walk today… One of those days to hang on to things just in case. I have to go outside my house to another building to wash clothes. Trying to wash a few clothes before starts raining, sleeting n snowing. I can’t believe it is doing that again here in Texas.

At least you can walk outside by yourself. I cannot go out without someone holding on to me. Thank God for the little things you continue to do. At least the boat is still moving.

Sounds familiar.. I dont hang clothes outside.. I put them on hangers indoors. Luckily we have spare room so I can leave window open and shut the door.. 8c here today [Essex UK]

I am always trying to describe [to myself] how it feels when I am wobbly [like the floor is shifting] .. I feel more stable on carpet with bare feet. Memory foam insoles in shoes helps too.

Sounds like you could use a little red wagon.

What’s a little red wagon, is it a baby walker? xB

PG, I hope you aren't hanging clothes outside today--or any other day. It is sleeting here for the 2nd time in two weeks, we are just staying home today. Southeast Texas is not supposed to be this bad. We sure don't know how to deal with ice and bad roads here. Some bridges are closed in Beaumont area. I think you are just a little west of me. One thing you might have to consider as time goes by is putting your washer & dryer in the house. That is one thing I am thankful for here as I use rollator all the time and it makes it handy to wash & dry clothes. I hung out laundry for years esp. when kids were growing up.

Beryl, a little red wagon might be called a coaster wagon. It used to be popular in USA. They come in various sizes and are a red, shallow metal box on wheels and a long handle to pull it by. Made by American Flyer. My kids had one of a good size--when the box rusted out, their dad put a piece of plywood on the wheels. We continued to haul things on it for years. I think a baby carriage would be better suited for ataxians to haul things in, having experienced ataxia.

Beryl Park said:

What's a little red wagon, is it a baby walker? xB

Thanks granny h!
I can picture it now, having seen them in films! Dare I say classic films, showing my
age here! Personally, I like the sense of freedom a supermarket trolley gives, I could
happily cruise around for hours! xB

I also use the "buggies" at the grocery stores and Wal-Mart, calling them "Wal-Mart" or "Grocery store" walkers. Leave my rollator in the car or at home if a store has "buggies" available for shoppers. The rollator does as good at home. Went with Hubby to Dr. appointment last week and a nurse commented that I must use rollator for balance as I moved it so fast. lol

Beryl Park said:

Thanks granny h!
I can picture it now, having seen them in films! Dare I say classic films, showing my
age here! Personally, I like the sense of freedom a supermarket trolley gives, I could
happily cruise around for hours! xB

The washer and dryer are out in a storage building. I get my son to take the clothes out there for me. I hold onto the deck and anything else I can find to get to the storage building. I wish I had the money to have the washer and dryer put in my house or at lease on the porch area. Just do the best I can with what I have. I hope to sell this old house one day and move into a bigger town and live in the senior housing there. 55 up. Rent is based on your income there.

Hi there P.G.

I know exactly what you mean by being on a moving boat and holding on to stuff.I too love the sense of freedom that a shopping trolley gives. I could walk for some time with one and barely at all with out one.

Witchywoman.

PG, that is good to have your son to help you, and if moving is an option somewhere down the line it's best to leave things like they are for now.. We know only too well about living with what you have and making the income stretch to cover what it can and making this old house work for what we need. We have to be thankful for family and what they can do for us--physically, and morally.

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time! My daughter has to hold on to things all the time and is constantly pinballing off furniture etc. She walks and looks as if she's drunk and struggles with everything and is like this all the time. She collapses in a heap on the floor and wears her splints on her legs and stick to support her and it makes my heart break to watch her and to hear of you all struggling with this awful awful condition. I hope you got the chores done you needed to do.

It’s a little scarey. . I honestly can only hope it doesn’t get too bad because hope is all I can do. My heart breaks for the young people with this. I really think I have had this for years just finally found someone who figured it out. They don’t know what has caused mine.

HI PG, they don't know what has caused my daughters although the problem was evident from around 11 months of age. She has a SCA which is rare and doesn't have a test developed for it yet and although they say it is hereditary and probably carried by both my husband and I they have never tested or at least they say there is no test available so not sure how they can say it's hereditary. My older son is fine. Ella's cerebellum is atrophying and her condition is progressing although more slowly than first thought.

Take care

April