Biohaven Completes Enrollment In Spinocerebellar Ataxia Clinical Trial With Trigriluzole

NEW HAVEN, US - Biohaven Pharmaceutical Holding Company Ltd. (Biohaven) announced that the company has completed enrollment in its clinical study of trigriluzole (BHV-4157) in patients with spinocerebellar ataxia (SCA). Trigriluzole, a novel drug candidate being developed by Biohaven, has received both Orphan Drug Designation and Fast Track Designation from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a potential treatment for SCA. SCA is a rare, debilitating neurodegenerative disorder that is estimated to affect approximately 22,000 people in the United States. No medications are currently approved for this often severe condition.

“The completion of enrollment in this trial represents an important milestone for our glutamate modulating program in neurologic illnesses. We would like to thank the patients with SCA who are participating in this trial, the National Ataxia Foundation, and the clinical research sites for helping us to meet our enrollment target in such a timely fashion,” said Vlad Coric, M.D., Chief Executive Officer at Biohaven. “We are acutely aware of the high unmet medical need in SCA, and if the results of the trial are positive, we expect to submit a new drug application to the FDA in early 2018.”

About the Trigriluzole Trial in SCA

Biohaven’s SCA trial is a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled, multi-center study designed to compare the safety and efficacy of once-daily oral therapy with trigriluzole 140 mg versus placebo. The study has now fully enrolled with approximately 180 adult SCA patients and is being conducted at 18 centers in the United States.

Continue with the article
« 123 »

http://www.checkorphan.org/news/biohaven-completes-enrollment-in-spinocerebellar-ataxia-clinical-trial-with-trigriluzole?platform=hootsuite

My daughter is in this study. Just started her medication last week. Praying for a good result.

1 Like

Hello Cynthia! How have these past few days been with your daughter? It’s too early to say anything about if it works or not, but has there been any side effects, or how does your daughter feel about the drug, like overall? :slight_smile:

My husband and I thought her speech was clearer. She has been at her aunts house this week she will be home today so I can make a better observation. Her aunt thought she was speaking faster. It has only been a week. Probably to early. Still hopeful.

1 Like

What type is your sca?

That is very encouraging, let’s hope everything goes to right direction when the time goes by and the drug will work. I still don’t know which type I have, im going to tests as soon as i get the appointment to the clinic where they research it. Im from Finland, so sorry for my language :slight_smile: my father has sca, though he never found out which type. He didnt want to go to genetic tests when he had the opportunity, which is kind of sad. He started to have symptoms when he was about 45. He is now 71, and is in very bad shape. Also my two aunts have ataxia. Now im 29, and started to have symptoms at the beginning of this year. I really hope this drug will help everyone with sca. I have two little children, a daugher and a son. :slight_smile:

Yes it would be good to know which sca you have. As I understand this medication will help certain inherited ataxias. Good luck with your test.