Brain fog/ can't get words out?

I’m wondering if others with SCA2 have symptoms like when you know the story your trying to tell, but you can’t find the words to explain the story. Is that a symptom or something else?

I do have this problem but I do not know if its my age (80) or ataxia but I cannot think of names and places a lot I end up describing what I want to say, sometimes 5 or six times as I am talking to my wife. She does seem to be doing the same thing but not as often. Jerry

This is common. A symptom if you like. It’s frustrating, time consuming etc. but go with the flow and don’t let it stress you out. If I had a pound/dollar for every time it happened to me, well I’m sure you know what I mean :slight_smile: xB

It must b a symptom. I have the same problem so I try not to speak too much
. I cut my conversation to a bare minimum. Hi my name is Maxine and I am from NJ. I am new to the group.

Hi and welcome MAX.

I have SCA of some type (my doctors can't tell for sure what type) but I definitely have a problem getting my words out - short & sweet works for me !

yep! I have glitches in my memory: can't remember the name of the book I just finished, the person I'm thinking of or speaking about, stuff like that - all short term memory - and then, 2 hours, maybe 12 hours, maybe 2 weeks later I remember the book title, name of person or whatever and once that flashes across my mind, if often takes off again. Also, sometimes when conversing with someone, what I'm trying to say gets all goofed up. It is frustrating but, most of the time I just giggle it off cuz I can see the humor in it. And, laughing truly, really does help. It is a fabulous elixer.

Here is something I did not forget tomorrow is my birthday, everyone say out loud HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Hi there Book Lover I am Max nice to meet u. The memory is definitely short term.

That's y I don't speak that much just listen. I laugh at the things I cannot do bc I don't believe I can't do them.

wooooooohooooo - Happy Birthday! :-)

gelu65 said:

Here is something I did not forget tomorrow is my birthday, everyone say out loud HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Hi Max! I hear you! I, too, laugh at the things I cannot do because I don't believe that I can't do them.

Max said:

Hi there Book Lover I am Max nice to meet u. The memory is definitely short term.

That's y I don't speak that much just listen. I laugh at the things I cannot do bc I don't believe I can't do them.

Yes I have this, or I start saying something and then can't remember what I was going to say. I used to use the wrong words, now I just can't seem to find the word alot of the time. I also forget things randomly, like I was on my way to the library walking and forgot how to get there. I usually do this three times a week (for years) so that is strange. Then I forgot that I had called in a prescription in the morning but they could not fill it and said they would call when it was ready, I went anyway and asked for the prescription that afternoon....whoops. Maybe it's just old age (but I doubt it at 37).

Yes, I have this. It's very annoying and awkward sometimes but sometimes it's funny and err .. rather err ... well you know what I mean. I have all sorts of similar problems too but it's hard to know what is due to ataxia and what is due to something else. I'm told that anyone can walk into a different room to find something and suddenly forget what they were looking for. It's because their brain is suddenly assaulted with different signals, a different scene, a different smell, a different sound. So anyone can get these problems. But when you add that all these signals go through the cerebellum, then in your case (and my case) maybe it is ataxia after all.

I have brain fog all the time! ugh When I was working I notice it when I would talk to blood donors on the phone. I work for Redcross, but am on a medical leave. I noticed I would suddenly forget what I was talking about and become speechless. Sometimes, toward the end of the eve, my speech would become slurred and I am sure my blood donors noticed it.I always forget where I put things down, more so if I am distracted by anythng else

That happens to me all the time

AJ said:

Yes I have this, or I start saying something and then can't remember what I was going to say. I used to use the wrong words, now I just can't seem to find the word alot of the time. I also forget things randomly, like I was on my way to the library walking and forgot how to get there. I usually do this three times a week (for years) so that is strange. Then I forgot that I had called in a prescription in the morning but they could not fill it and said they would call when it was ready, I went anyway and asked for the prescription that afternoon....whoops. Maybe it's just old age (but I doubt it at 37).