The hand but remember the suit order.
I can read magnified print but forget characters in a story
I find TV hard to follow
I used to like music but now take it or leave it
I am very slow to type and cannot write at all

Has C A robbed me of these abilities ?
Regards
Barney

So far I haven't noticed any memory loss. Can't write tho and never was the best at typing,m but think I do more back spacing and correcting now--also let more errors go out.

I alsohave CA - diagnosed about a yea ago (61 yars young). Shoort term memoory loss wasone of the indicaters used in my diagnosis. It is better/worse at diferet times and can be frustraitng but hass not yet been debiitaiting. As for the other items I haave also eperienced some impact but not yet to the extent you express. I am typing (slowly) this on my iPad to which I have added a Logitech kryboard - it helps alot!

My CA has robbed me of many “old ways” and has forced me to develope 'new ways" to perform or adapt to the task of living as full a daily life as I can. I amfocusing on the future and not looking at the past as much as can. Just because you can’t today - doesn’t mean you can’t tomorrow! Stay positive and visit the blog often

I have all the same issues. But people that don't have ataxia have memory lose to. Typing I see as a different issue. I hit two keys instead if one. I shack when I use the mouse. I love music to and sang to all of them. Now I really cant remember the words. I can not read anymore, because like you I cant remember the characters. People ask me what the weather is going to be, because I am watching the news. I say I don't know. People without ataxia say our memory lose is normal. I do think ataxia does have something to do with it. Just my thought.

I have the same memory issues and I’m fairly young yet- 47, so I feel for me, its clearly my ataxia.

My daughter is 6 she has CA and although she doesn't have any memory issues (sometime she remembers too much), she does have a lot of difficulties to face each day. Each one I would love to take away or make a little easier. Writing is very difficult due to pain and tremors. At the moment typing is also hard however her O.T. is going to start working with a touch typing programme next week. I really hope this helps as I am concerned she "falls" behinde at school although she is an intelligent child.

I'm 40 so in the grand scale fairly young. My memory is hopeless. Today I had to go to the supermarket to get the stuff I forgot yesterday only to forget about a third of them (this was with a list). I then got a phone call from the shop to say I'd left my purse. I forgot to hand cheese into the nursery even although it was in my daughter's bag. I then forgot to but my daughter's outdoor shoes on to walk home - thankfully I remembered my daughter. Hopefully I'll remember to get out of bed tomorrow. My reading, writing & typing are all very slow. I don't have any type of ataxia, your memory problems may or may not be due to CA.

Hi - My long-term memory is decent; my short-term is worse than my long-term, but still not too bad. Do I notice a difference? Yes; however, I read something that is changing - or trying to change, anyway, my perspective on what I used to be able to do. That is instead of seeing “it” as I can’t do ______, anymore; I’m gradually switching my thinking to: I’m now free from _______.

We’ll see if that works.

I like this !

Glitter on Butterflies said:

Hi - My long-term memory is decent; my short-term is worse than my long-term, but still not too bad. Do I notice a difference? Yes; however, I read something that is changing - or trying to change, anyway, my perspective on what I used to be able to do. That is instead of seeing "it" as I can't do ______, anymore; I'm gradually switching my thinking to: I'm now free from _______.

We'll see if that works.

Memory isnt too bad .. my CA was 'triggered' late in my 50's and am now 70.. my main problem is slow reactions both memory recall and movement.

Patsy

Hi Bernard, I can relate to many things you said. My theory regarding my memory loss is related to my ataxia. I am concentrating so much on doing things like walking, typing on my keyboard, or even buttoning a shirt 24/7, that there's very little "room" in my memory for anything else. Does that make sense? Do the best you can. Ataxia robs us of even the most essential abilities. Just my theory...,;o)

Hi Bernard,

Your probably right.

rose said:

Hi Bernard, I can relate to many things you said. My theory regarding my memory loss is related to my ataxia. I am concentrating so much on doing things like walking, typing on my keyboard, or even buttoning a shirt 24/7, that there's very little "room" in my memory for anything else. Does that make sense? Do the best you can. Ataxia robs us of even the most essential abilities. Just my theory...,;o)

Sometimes, I feel as though it takes all day for me just to turn around, and then I've forgotten

what for.

In another discussion, somebody mentioned Dyschronometria, associated with Ataxia.

It seems eerily familiar.

I also have a lot of short term memory loss. Sometimes long term as well. I even forgot when my birthday is. I’ve tried to keep a sense of humor about it. I did start taking Straterra for the lack of focus and memory. It’s been hugely helpful!

Sounds like I was having a bad day :pushpin::alien::japanese_goblin: