Cerebellar ataxia

I fad CA for 6 years now and I cannot get rid of the leg and knee stiffness. It never give me relief no matter how much movement and exercise I do. Is anyone having this issue and if so what are you doing to help.

I also have leg and general joint stiffness, as well as 'twitching' muscles and regular cramping in all muscle groups. I take calcium and magnesium supplements daily which has reduced the cramping to much more manageable levels and I go swimming every day (6 days a week) which vastly helps with the stiffness. I swim each morning in a local hotel pool - its a hotel geared towards elderly people (an 'adults only' hotel) and so has ramps and grab rails everywhere. Also the pool is really warm and has gentle steps and rails to get in & out. Some UK family doctors (GPs) can prescribe courses of hydrotherapy (usually 6 weeks at a time), although I'm not sure how it works in Dallas, or indeed the US in general. May be worth checking with your doctor or physical therapist if you have one to see if you can try hydrotherapy. I have also heard that some people use pedal exercisers - a pair of pedals on a small stand that you can use whilst sitting down. You can pedal as fast or slow as you like and just that continuous movement of foot, ankle and knee can help improve stiffness. Good luck.

My neurologist prescribed baclofen for me... I manage ok during the day but take it mid afternoon when I want to relax. I is good for rigid muscles and spasms.

A really hot 'spar'does wonders!..believe me :-)

Let me ask you something?Are you getting disability or have to work with this condition?

Are you getting disability?It is very hard living with this condition?

I have had problems for 5 yrs and I am now in a wheel chair a lot of the time, I can feel and see the progression of this ataxia every day, as long as I can stand up I feel I am doing good and can do all my chores, some laundry cooking and cleaning and all the shopping, and taking the trash barrels out so it does not hamper me yet. Jerry

Dear Carious Bobo, I was diagnosed with 'Sporadic Cerebellar Ataxia (iunknown cause/symptoms 24/7) eleven years ago. O also, suffer from stiffness. I find that if I exercise for strength and balance, as well as stretch my muscles each day this is helpful for me. I still have stiffness, but not as bad, I tried taking Baclofen, as well as something else ? (muscle relaxer) and couldn't tolerate the side effects. I wish I had other suggestions for you! I hope you get some positive reponses for something helpful! My best to you..., ;o)

Think I have CA but dont know that much about it. I don't get that leg stiffness and knee stiffness. Just deal with walking issues so far and a little speech proble. ms. Don't know until I go Ataxia clinic in John Hopkins in Md.. Going there on July11.

Hi.
I have terrible knee and leg pain all of the time. It tends to vary in intensity but worsens with walking or standing for any length. I’m now reduced to my wheelchair for longer distances. I haven’t been prescribed anything for this or the muscle cramps or twitches but I’m seeing my Neurologist in September and I’ve also been referred for Hydrotherapy which may help.
I have recently suffered every day from numb, dead hands and tingling in my arms which can be very painful and this is reducing my independence re dressing, buttons, zips etc. I’m really fed up with it all.
I lost my job on 16th June due to my absence re Ataxia and Clinical depression so I’m appealing and then tribunals etc.
Life’s a bitch …

Ever try marijuania?

I do beieve that cannabis can help some of our members. I do use it for sleep help mostly but now only use it during the day if I am hurting in some way, for the last 2 weeks I was haveing back problems and it helps. I use edibles only now since I have blood clots in the lungs and dont want to cough any from inhaleing.

well, it definitely helps with muscle spasms and such.
Relaxes you. It’s best before bed.

gelu65 said:

I do beieve that cannabis can help some of our members. I do use it for sleep help mostly but now only use it during the day if I am hurting in some way, for the last 2 weeks I was haveing back problems and it helps. I use edibles only now since I have blood clots in the lungs and dont want to cough any from inhaleing.

Does it really help?

Doug “lucky bastard” place said:

Ever try marijuania?

i take zanaflex for stiffness. your neuro can prescribe a muscle relaxer. may help. or baths with epsom salt may help.

lorraine

Dear Carious Bobo, I already replied saying I tried Baclofen (muscle relaxer), as well as another muscle relaxer (can't remember the name), and couldn't tolerate the side effect of feeling tired & "loopey". Well, I'm trying Baclofen at a lower dose (per my neurologist) and am up two doses each day. I'm working my way up to three doses. Although I was a bit "loopey" initially, I'm gettting use to it now.My neurologist said I'd feel worse before I felt better. So I have trust in this and so far, so good! A muscle relaxer may help you too..., ;o)