Dystonia

Last week I met someone suffering from severe Dystonia. Until then I had no idea what this was like. Arms, legs, head, every part of that person’s body was flailing about, it looked exhausting, never mind painful.

I was told that because so much energy is used up by the continual movement, a high amount of calories had to be consumed daily to try and prevent drastic weight loss.

I looked at dystonia.org.uk and found there were many different types of Dystonia.
There were types listed that would never have occurred to me.

Botox injections are currently used to give the most effective relief from spasm and pain. Occasionally patients question why this isn’t working. When injections are first started, it can take a few cycles for them to become effective. This is because Dystonia can involve a number of different muscles and it may take more than one injection to establish the right muscles.

Starting off, low doses are used to minimise the risk of side effects. Once the cycle is established, showing the patient can tolerate high doses, the level of Botox is increased and the injection may feel more effective.

It may be necessary to try at least 2 or 3 cycles of injections (which can take about a year), to establish how effective the toxin treatment can be.

Dystonia can fluctuate, stress can cause it to be worse. There are different types of toxin to try if this is the case.

Thanks, Beryl, for all interesting information! I never really knew what dystonia was either, and now, thanks to you, I do! ;o)

Thanks Beryl for the information. Before this I did not know about dystonia n its symptoms. I believe it’s another type of cerebellar ataxia. Do you know the different types n what are they called

Hi Jacob:-)

I hope you are having a pleasant weekend:-)

For an explanation of the different types of Dystonia and the parts of the body affected,

see dystonia.org.uk

For an example of types of ataxia discovered, see ataxiacenter.umn.edu

This was last updated in 2010. At that time details were available up to SCA32. Since then

there have been many more types discovered but it’s difficult to find information online.

For information on Multiple System Atrophy (I recall you asking about this), see ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/multiple.system.atrophy

Best regards :slight_smile: xB

Jacob Nicholas said:

Thanks Beryl for the information. Before this I did not know about dystonia n its symptoms. I believe it’s another type of cerebellar ataxia. Do you know the different types n what are they called