Excluded

Hi everyone
Hope your enjoying much needed sun
Went to bar b que yesterday
Feeling excluded because I didn’t join in conversation
How fast people talk

I hate the " half smile" and nods all around I get when I try to participate in conversation, and people go back to what they were saying as if I never spoke anyways! Ugh!

Yes .. I try to smile my way through it

Patsy

I can speak pretty clearly at this point but my voice seems to have become lower. Aftera longish conversation/talk, my mouth feels tired-- my favorite time is being alone, in my TV chair and talking to no one but I know this is not good. I force myself to read five newspaper articles aloud per day. I do notice (and hate) the constant stream of "whats?" or "Speak louder's that accompany my conversations."

My speech is really slurred most of the time, especially when tired. When I speak, I usually hear "what" and have to repeat myself. I find that's tiring in itself! My solution is to be a good listener...,ha! I do get frustrated though when I have something worthwhile to say and hold back...,oh well! I try to speak slowly. That's all I can do...;o)

I can relate to you, Neta, since my husband has the same problems you have - lower voice, tired mouth. He also is happiest in his TV chair. I don't have ataxia but am really quite shy in a social situation - but there can be a lot of enjoyment in just "soaking everything in". Not participating in a conversation doesn't mean that you still can't enjoy the subject matter. Also, in a lot of cases, if you're observant, you may find another person who is "on the sidelines" for one reason or another (shyness) and you can institute a quiet one on one conversation. You just may have to push yourself a little.

I see what you mean exactly, Jennifer. I experienced that a lot. Actually, I learned earlier on that people like that are usually brain dead anyway which, when there is a conversation, nobody is the wiser as that would be too demanding. I sometimes tune in though, as a confirmation of it.

thanks

I agree with you all

because you cant participate does nt mean you don't have something worthwhile to say

SO FUSTRATING THOUGH

I was an instructor until my voice began to go first I would become tongue tied and now I can not project as I once did. I can control the tounge by just slowing down and taking my time. I use a mic if I am in a large room. The main thing is think through what you want to say and then slowly talk. You will get a few stares but, I tell them what the problem is.
Ran

I totally understand the frustration of not being understood. I’m a “big mouth from the south” but have become a hermit for the simple reason of slurred speech. There are so many life altering symptoms with this disability! It’s awesome to connect with people who experience the same things. Makes me feel less alone.

Hi,

I am an instructor too and my speech is changing. My friends say "Oh no - its the same - we all slur our words when we get tired" but I can tell the difference. It's harder to find the words and to get them out of my mouth. I have to repeat a lot of things and it has made me reluctant to accept more speaking engagements. Even speeches that I've made 50+ times get stuck in my head. I worked with a speech therapist , more on adapting my presentations to my new condition than on improving my speech.

Ran said:

I was an instructor until my voice began to go first I would become tongue tied and now I can not project as I once did. I can control the tounge by just slowing down and taking my time. I use a mic if I am in a large room. The main thing is think through what you want to say and then slowly talk. You will get a few stares but, I tell them what the problem is.
Ran

Yes, Katcap. I hear you. Another :"trick" is to become a listener (I was a journalist) and let the more talkative folks around just blabber away. I cant tell you how much dumb "conversation" Ive heard as a result.. In the past, I wouldnt have given some of these people the time of day.

KatCap21 said:

I can relate to you, Neta, since my husband has the same problems you have - lower voice, tired mouth. He also is happiest in his TV chair. I don't have ataxia but am really quite shy in a social situation - but there can be a lot of enjoyment in just "soaking everything in". Not participating in a conversation doesn't mean that you still can't enjoy the subject matter. Also, in a lot of cases, if you're observant, you may find another person who is "on the sidelines" for one reason or another (shyness) and you can institute a quiet one on one conversation. You just may have to push yourself a little.

Last week we had a family meal, as usual everybody tried to talk at once,

you'd think it was a competition or something! Several times I tried to join

in but it seemed as though they hadn't heard me. I've always had a

problem projecting my voice and often felt ignored, but now enough's

enough. I bide my time, wait for someone to draw breath, and have my

say!xB

Good for you Beryl! You go girl...,ha! ;o)

I think the only communication ŵe can have
Is with fellow Ataxians or loved ones
The best we can achieve with non Ataxians
Is superficial small talk !
Regards
Barney

I agree Bernard! Although I don't physically "talk" with others that have ataxia, I do communicate per this site and privately with a few. Obviously, people with ataxia that have slurred speech understand. My family and friends are "use" to the way I talk and understand me better. They also love me unconditionally...,ha! I don't feel bad talking with them, even if they ask me to repeat what I've said. ;o)

Nor do I Rose
But can’t be bothered with other people
My speech sounds fine to me
Not o other people
I can’t be bothered to keep repeating myself
With small talk
Family and close friends allow me the time
With out looking strangely at each other
I’m ok now
Rant over
Thanks for all your support guys x