Goals?

Great question Jeannie! Ataxia is extremely frustrating and difficult! Goals I have are to try to keep a positive attitude, even though it's not easy at times. Physically, I'd like to keep as mobile as possible, therefore, even though I use a cane to prevent falls, I will continue to (safely) exercise for strength and balance. Although I get fatigued easily, I will continue to walk as much as possible. Therefore, although I have a handicapped card for parking, I park far away from stores and walk with my cane sometimes. I try to eat as healthy as possible, as that's helpful for my ataxia and for general health. If you don't use it, you lose it (at least for me)...,ha! ;o)

I listened to your link JC and found it very inspirational! I especially like when you said look at our disabilities as possibilities...,I'll keep that in mind! Also, I really enjoyed reading everyones comments...,kuddos to all! ;o)

I think your goal is great! Don’t give up or in! ;0)

Nan said:

Hi Jeannie,
My goal is to climb at least two stairs. I have been climbing stairs 6 months back and now it’s a dream. I am slowly improving and one day hope to achieve my goal. Good luck and best wishes always.

Remember small everyday goals work. I should have included short, medium time fram and/or long term goals! Mine are always changing! :0)

Cristel Aarts said:

My former long term goal was climbing Mt Kilimanjaro, and it really helped me to train and do my exercises, along with a few smaller (running) goals along the way. It was a great and exhausting experience (did it last year), but now I’m a bit lost… looking for a new long term goal.to motivate me to keep as fit as possible, but I’m a bit insecure as to what I could still achieve.

I wish I could actually do that, but hiummmm that might be something to work for!

Folky said:

hi Jeannie,i don’t really have any goals,although I wouldn’t mind losing a bit of weight.mayb 7pounds.although im finding it difficult,as ive now got an underactive thyroid,and have been on thyroxin for 2 months now.mayb when I get my dosage right,my metabolism will speed up again…hi Cristel,why don’t you attempt to do lands end to john O’Groats in the uk…either cycle or walk.for all our foreign friends…lands end to john O’Groats is from the most south western part of England to the far top of Scotland…its a distance of about 870 miles I believe…its just an idea…folky…

Have you checked out Dr Tom Clouse’s site yet?

Mary said:

Jeannie, my first goal is no shuffling feet. Then balance…whichever comes first. I had to start using a cane in the house first time yesterday and hope that doesn’t have to last.

Great! Little consistent thing get us closer to our goals!Good for you keep it up, don’t give in push your limit.

Nan said:

Hi Jeannie,
My goal is to climb at least two stairs. I have been climbing stairs 6 months back and now it’s a dream. I am slowly improving and one day hope to achieve my goal. Good luck and best wishes always.

Haha I get that. I hated focused moving/exercising but Dr Clouse didn’t have sympathy for me, he told me “Ok you think you can’t do, (because he wanted me to hit a ball with a racket) well maybe you never moved or played Tennis in your prior life till now, now it’s the 2nd 1/2 will just be difference.”
I remember his words and that helps push me Who knows if Ill never that great but I’m just working on baby step getting better! Actually who knows, maybe I will some day if I keep working at it that is. ;0)

Beryl Park said:

I've never been very good at self-discipline, even before all this started. So, I know it would be in my own best interest to focus on doing as much exercise as possible and eating well.

My intentions are good but resolve is not very strong, I'm probably my own worst enemy! I must be firmer with myself!