Great idea

Yes, I thinks that's exactly what it entails, Beryl. There is a conference here tomorrow featuring several American profs., talking about cancer treatments. One woman, Helen Blau, is an expert on stem cell regeneration. I hope to speak to her. In the meantime, I will ask my son in Palo Alto, if he knows anyone in Google glass to comment on my idea and if it is feasible.. N

'Interesting. So why can't the tiny computer tell the brain something'

That is a good question and, I would say, an entirely feasible proposition!

There are scientists and engineers around the world working on devices that monitor brain activity - some are working on devices that 'read our thoughts' and turn those thoughts into commands to enable us to control other devices. Now! If it is possible to read brain activity it should, in theory at least, be possible to write brain activity. Though a device that could do this may seem like a really scary scenario to some (machine controlling human), for those with Ataxia or other medical issues such a device could be a real boon.

Two other devices to 'Google' as I have not the links ready to hand out. American (i think) scientists some years ago built a 'bionic' eye and installed it into a woman and she can see with it.There are portable machines available that stimulate muscles and allow people with muscle deterioration / loss of muscle control to do things they normally could not - one I saw allowed a woman to ride a push bike / trike / quad (under her own power and control)!

It seems that where Ataxia balance problems (at least) are a problem then the idea of a cap, hat or helmet with a device installed that can both read mixed balance signals and then write compensating data to correct the balance is not such a crazy idea or unachievable piece of technology. (Wheres my pen? I have an idea for a short story now! Lol).

neta said:

Interesting. So why can't the tiny computer tell the brain something, I live in Israel (though I am American) and there are many med-tech innovations here such as cameras the size of pills..... talk about sci-fi. Not sure how actualize things.Curious why the NIH tests have mostly focused on meds. I think the lack of balance is universal among Ataxians no? I have a son (big shot) in Silicon Valley. We need an engineer who knows neurology too. N

Read this:

Helen M. Blau, Director, Baxter Laboratory for Stem Cell Biology, Institute for Stem Cell Biology and
Regenerative Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine Attempts at understanding and elucidating the nature of stem cell plasticity and differentiation. By perturbing the intracellular or extracellular milieu of stem cells, she has studied the regulatory network that determines cell fate and how it can be altered. This knowledge is key to our understanding of stem cell self-renewal, differentiation, and understanding how cancer arises. Her research encompasses muscle, hematopoietic, pancreatic, and cancer stem cells and involves developing novel multidisciplinary bioengineering and imaging approaches.

Copy of letter sent to son.

Dear Dan,

Do you know anyone in Google, that I can speak to about Google glass?My thinking is that if a tiny computer embedded in the glass, can tell the brain it is sitting or lying, a good deal of my problems would vanish. It's the standing position which makes life hard for people with ataxia. Love Mom

Michael said:

'Interesting. So why can't the tiny computer tell the brain something'

That is a good question and, I would say, an entirely feasible proposition!

There are scientists and engineers around the world working on devices that monitor brain activity - some are working on devices that 'read our thoughts' and turn those thoughts into commands to enable us to control other devices. Now! If it is possible to read brain activity it should, in theory at least, be possible to write brain activity. Though a device that could do this may seem like a really scary scenario to some (machine controlling human), for those with Ataxia or other medical issues such a device could be a real boon.

Two other devices to 'Google' as I have not the links ready to hand out. American (i think) scientists some years ago built a 'bionic' eye and installed it into a woman and she can see with it.There are portable machines available that stimulate muscles and allow people with muscle deterioration / loss of muscle control to do things they normally could not - one I saw allowed a woman to ride a push bike / trike / quad (under her own power and control)!

It seems that where Ataxia balance problems (at least) are a problem then the idea of a cap, hat or helmet with a device installed that can both read mixed balance signals and then write compensating data to correct the balance is not such a crazy idea or unachievable piece of technology. (Wheres my pen? I have an idea for a short story now! Lol).

neta said:

Interesting. So why can't the tiny computer tell the brain something, I live in Israel (though I am American) and there are many med-tech innovations here such as cameras the size of pills..... talk about sci-fi. Not sure how actualize things.Curious why the NIH tests have mostly focused on meds. I think the lack of balance is universal among Ataxians no? I have a son (big shot) in Silicon Valley. We need an engineer who knows neurology too. N

:) Neta :)

Good stuff!

If this was remotely feasible, seeing as we seem to have a foot in the door

re manufacturing, who would be in a position to fund the r&d required to

get if off the ground?

I will keep everyone posted.

Michael said:

Good stuff!

When it comes to the glasses, I would think Google would love to say its capitalistic technology can help neuro patients, Just a hunch.

Stem cells require different treatment. I once had a friend check out ataxia at Stanford and the drs. got back to her that they know very little about it. Now if this Helen character can say that her center's work can also be applied to neurological diseases, I would imagine that Stanford would jump at the opportunity to get involved, no? N

Beryl Park said:

If this was remotely feasible, seeing as we seem to have a foot in the door

re manufacturing, who would be in a position to fund the r&d required to

get if off the ground?

Here is what my son said:N

Hey Mom!

Unfortunately Google Glass doesn't communicate directly with the brain. It's just a little heads-up display in your eye (kind of what like a fighter jet has).

Michael said:

Good stuff!