Handwriting problems

Dear Rose, thanks for the roses!

Maybe this webside could also provide some aids for hand writing

http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/categories-disability-aids/174/writing_aids.html

Yes! When I was 1st diagnosed with gluten ataxia my handwriting was horrible. I had been an art major and could draw anymore either.

After almost 4 years of being gluten free my handwriting is coming back to normal. It's not as fluid as it use to be, but not bad. I use to have perfect penmanship.

So wonderful results of your diet..

I too find my handwriting is awful. It wasn't too great before the ataxia diagnosis but at least I could read it.

Thank God for my printer.

Wot is handwriting.Something else I could do once and as usual took for granted like walking and talking.

Thanks for the info. Colleen! I’m going to try a gripper, as I haven’t tried that yet! ;o)

Thank you for the web site on helpful writing aids Akita! The gripper and weighted pens should be helpful! ;o)

Yes thank you Akita and Rose! ;)

In the Ataxia infos they always write about "weighted eating utensils". Nobody thinks that people with ataxia also want to write!

:)

rose said:

Thank you for the web site on helpful writing aids Akita! The gripper and weighted pens should be helpful! ;o)
1 Like

My handwriting have not been Legible dating back to Ellimentary. This was in the late 50's and early 60s . It must have been that coordination thing. I couldn't perfect it. My son who is 27 years old writes just as bad as I do. He doesn't have a balance problem yet. I type everything these days. I have a slight speech impairment. When I was younger I used to stutter real bad but I overcome that. I got me a recorder and self taught me to pronounce some sounds. There are a couple of sounds I couldn't perfect.

My writing/printing is quite bad. I'm artistic, and my writing/printing was very decent at one time. I can still do it, although it takes A LOT of effort to form the letters, and is exhausting! The more tired my hand gets, the worse my writing/printing becomes. I used to really enjoy writing/printing, but not so much anymore. I force myself to do it though, as I'm of the belief if you don't use it, you lose it....ha! I find using a felt pen gives me more control. I just don't know what to do about the bleed through of the ink. Grippers and weighted pens are helpful, many people have said. They'd definitely be worth a try! ;o)

1 Like

My hand gets worse after a while and any writing deteriorates so that it an illlegible scrawl.I had to give up the diary I had written for 40 years. I used a computer for one year but forgot what I had done. Not the same.

The felt pen is interesting. I bet it provides some increase in tactile stimulation. Maybe a vibration or sound? I find sensory substitution to be my best ally. Little things can make big differences not just to whether I can do something or not but how long I can do something without fatiguing.

rose said:

My writing/printing is quite bad. I'm artistic, and my writing/printing was very decent at one time. I can still do it, although it takes A LOT of effort to form the letters, and is exhausting! The more tired my hand gets, the worse my writing/printing becomes. I used to really enjoy writing/printing, but not so much anymore. I force myself to do it though, as I'm of the belief if you don't use it, you lose it....ha! I find using a felt pen gives me more control. I just don't know what to do about the bleed through of the ink. Grippers and weighted pens are helpful, many people have said. They'd definitely be worth a try! ;o)

Blueberry, There's a site called "Ark" that sells sensory kits (pens that vibrate) etc. FYI, you may find it interesting, as I did! ;o)

Jill Winslow - USA

Know how frustrating this is.....handwriting only works when you practice every day. It deteriorates when you get lazy. I have not, been able to write since my brain aneurysm burst in my brain over 20 years ago, leaving me with acquired ataxia. But I am still here....a first cousin died from a burst aneurysm. Putting a weight on the wrist might help handwriting.

jill

Great idea Jill, I'm going to try that! ;o)

I do have trouble writting. But I have horrible discomfort in my arms at night. I spend all semi-concious moments bending then unbending my arms. Does anyone else have to deal with this? (My arms feel like they are going to break if I don't move them).

I was diagnosed with ataxia 10 years ago. Yes, my writing/printing is not good anymore, plus it takes me a long time to scratch out words/numbers. I really have to work hard at it! I use to have nice writing/printing, but no longer! I keep practicing though, as I feel if I don't use it, I'll lose it. ;o)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipp-Ex

I take tipp-ex fluid to scratch out my mistakes. My handwriting is bad since childhood. When writing with normal velocity i cannot read again what i have written. Therefore i was happy to do my work as a lawyer by dictating on band. My younger daughter the similar problem. EDV is a salvation.

Hi,

I too have had trouble writing for years. I can't read my own handwriting at times...and I can decipher some pretty bad writing. I find I can only print in large block letters. My kids found a letter I had written as a teen. The would not believe I had written it. I find I can only use certain pens....a grip and weight that feels right. It seems to be a separate symptom, although it does get worse when I am tired like my speech or balance. The old adage seems to apply, if you don't use it, you lose it. It seems I need to do it daily or t gets worse.