Handwriting problems

I have the same problem. My husband and I use to sit and try to decipher what I wanted. He died last year and I try to decipher my self. Because of the Cerebellum Ataxia I do not drive anymore and try to make a list when someone else goes to the store. I am going to look for the pens you suggest. Do the grips and weights come on the pen, or is something I do? Thank you.

I got a couple of those extra fat, felt tip pens an they really help. I have to concentrate and write slow , but can actually read some of the things I write. Thanks Rose.

I only recently found out that it was my handwriting in infant school that drew attention that I have difficulties, however I have been blessed with a talent for writing poetry and lyrics, but with my difficulty making my writing look neat, I can type pretty well, so that makes it easier for me. Although I am old fashioned and like my words in written form too. I have weak wrists, so holding a pen can cause severe pain, even just with writing.

So glad they help! My best to youā€¦, ;o)

I have found the same. I used to have very fancy, scripty hand writing, I love doing anything crafty and consider myself artistic (though far from an artist). My handwriting has gotten progressively worse over the years since I was diagnosed (over 20 years ago). I find it very frustrating, as I always enjoyed writing and have continued to do it daily. It takes much more effort and has become very tiring and requires my complete focus and attention. As the muscles in my hand and arm tire and my concentration becomes stained, my ability to perform any fine motor skill with my hands becomes much more difficult. Tremor is frequently a concern. I find the writing implement makes a huge difference, as you suggested as well as daily practice and a pragmatic attitude, can make all the difference.
As a result of neuroplastisity, we are able to forge to connections within the brain to allow us to learn or relearn certain things. For example, the slant on my handwriting has changed making it slightly more efficient and more legible, I go with the flow rather than fighting against it. I still make sure I practice daily, but I also colour in an adult colouring book, paint, draw (my drawings look like I am in grade school) or whatever else I can do to try to maintain as much functionality.
I have learned new ways of doing just about everything in my life, and yes it is frustrating, yes it seems unfair and yes our attitude makes a huge difference.
I do not wish to suggest any of this is easy to live with, but we still have friends, family and a life to liveā€¦and a purpose for living it.

Hi Granny, It is interesting to know you have the same symptoms, I can just about write my name on a card but a message is out of the question. I told my GP in Somerset that I wrote like a two year old and she still dismissed it. When using a keyboard I often hit the wrong button.
Jacqui

Hi Jacqui :slightly_smiling_face: Welcome to LWA. It is very frustrating having handwriting problems, and also difficulties using a keyboard. But as youā€™ve seen from the previous posts, sometimes there are ways and means around it. Even when a tremor is challenging, there could well be an aid to help.
Personally, I write better with a weightier pen, and I use a stylus with my iPad. Plus when using the iPad, thereā€™s always spellcheck :wink:
Iā€™ve never mentioned this difficulty to any of my Health Centre GPs, despite me passing on information from AtaxiaUK, theyā€™ve shown no interest or concern about ataxia. But it has to be said, like Neurologists, some GPs are more understanding than others, itā€™s just the luck of the draw.
:slightly_smiling_face: If you wanted to have contact with others near you, itā€™s worth looking on www.ataxia.org.uk for the list of Support Groups throughout the UK (I live in Newcastle).
Early in October, possibly around the 5th, AtaxiaUK will be having their Annual Conference, this year it may be at Stanstead but full details will be on their website in a few months time. This is a social occasion as well as a means of finding out up to date information, and well worth attending if someone is newly diagnosed.
:slightly_smiling_face:xB

Hi Beryl, Thank you I will definitely try a weighted pen, as for Ataxiauk I am a member but unfortunately the nearest support group is an hours drive away. It was only by chance I came across this website, I belong also to HealthUnlocked.
Take care - Jacqui

:slightly_smiling_face: Healthunlocked AtaxiaUK was my first contact with other ataxians after being diagnosed, it made a huge difference knowing other people understood exactly what I was talking about. Itā€™s a shame you would have to travel so far to a Support Group, but it could be worth ringing the contact person to ask if they actually do know of anybody living in your area :thinking: Iā€™m a member of another group, itā€™s on Facebook and there are also ladies from other parts of the UK, possibly your neck of the woods :slightly_smiling_face: Itā€™s a Closed group, so youā€™d have to register to joinā€¦on Facebook search ā€˜Spinocerebellar Ataxia Awareness and Research Groupā€™. Itā€™s very sociable, you could give it a go :slightly_smiling_face: xB

Hi Beryl, I do know of someone not too far away, Iā€™m meeting her next month.
I have applied to join the group on Facebook,thank you, didnā€™t know it was there, but as you say there could be others not too far away who would welcome a chat and compare issues. Jacqui x

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed that my handwriting also has gotten worse over the years. Iā€™ve actually started to print more and more but also that the letter size has gotten larger.

Yes, my writing is awful! If I have to fill out a form, I print, and slowly. Thank goodness for e mail. My speech is also sometimes slurred.

Itā€™s from muscle spasm. I use Adobe to fill in the form on computer.

And I use the Foxit reader [free] to fill out forms on the computer.

1 Like

Not any longer (11/24). My wife is not only my caregiver but also my secretary.:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

I had been using Adobe XI standard to fill up my forms on the computer, since I cannot write anymore. But my software is giving a lot of problems recently. Anyone has any experience with a software program that I can use?

Look at my post two posts above yours.

I have downloaded Foxit reader 14 days free trial. Am I right in assuming that when I buy the actual software, ā€œRedactionā€ capability will be included?

NO!!! I think you downloaded the wrong thing. The Foxit only reader is completely free. I think you downloaded from the blue link that says ā€œfree download.ā€ Thatā€™s only a free download to their eventual payfor reader. You want from the orange link on their site which says free reader. Please delete what you now have and reinstall the download from the orange.

EDIT: If you have a problem using it or youā€™re not sure post here and Iā€™ll instruct.

You can also look here:

Thank you. I will try.