I just don't want to go anywhere!

I’ve gotten over the feeling of being self-conscious, that used to hold me back.
The biggest problem to overcome is the lack of spatial awareness I experience
once I’m out of the house. Strangely this disappears when I have something to
hold on to, such as a supermarket trolley. Perhaps it’s time to graduate from a
walking stick to a rollator. The thing is, I worry that I may like the freeing sensation
it would give, and I may not want to try managing without it :slight_smile: xB

You are making yourself home bound. You need to stop making excuses for one. 2nd you are making excuses so you can do what's easy or comfortable. There is nothing easy or comfortable about ataxia. You have control over whether or not you do something. If you really want to hang out with others then YOU need to choose to do it. If you don't, it's YOUR choice.

There are some great suggestions to help but you get out of the house but you have to choose to try them.

I read and understood every one. I will say this if you still have it do it don’t hurt yourself because if you hurt yourself we don’t heel like we once did, ok!

Solitude and safety seems to be a common denominator here. All great suggestions to overcome loneliness. The real message is frame of mind. You need to overcome in your head to break free of that tendency to hide away from public. I was out for dinner and a theater production last evening. Self conscious? yes. Problems navigating the crowds? yes. Pain in the butt transferring from the vehicle? you bet. And the list goes on, but I persevered and overcame the fear of what others might be thinking. I was surprised at how quickly I turned to “not giving a darn” in little time. I managed to put my preverbal gawker blinders on and focus on not making an ass of myself. I guess you are not alone, many have the same issues.

1 Like

:smirk: It’s all too easy and comfortable to stay home, particularly when enduring a spell of winter weather. I realise I’ve reached the stage where ‘mind over matter’ needs to rule and I must make a break for freedom ASAP :wink:
This morning my husband was reluctant to leave for work because of the crisp weather. I on the other hand, was raring to go, if only I could :wink: xB

I’m 44 years young, diagnosed with ARCA1 21 years ago. I’ve been walking with a cane for the past 6.5 years, but don’t use one at home or in places where I feel very comfortable due to my ability to “bounce”. I don’t like crowds…have difficulty negotiating small spaces…became a great listener over the years (slurred speech makes it comfortable to only talk to people that know me well). As such, I’m much more comfortable being a homebody.

1 Like

It is what it is! These are not just words but something to live with. You didn’t ask for this illness but to cut yourself off from life is not the answer either. We’re all pretty much in the same boat physically but you need to go out and socialize the best that you can. I’ve learned after 50 years of this illness that most people don’t care about what they see from you. They forget about you as soon as you pass them. They pretty much care about their lives and what’s affecting them. I’m not talking about doing something that might be dangerous to you. But you must get out there and experience life or depression [feeling sorry for yourself] becomes more paramount.

Like I said before either you can let this illness overwhelm you or you can continually try to overwhelm it. I chose the latter AND SO SHOULD YOU!

One of the symptoms of ataxia is exhaustion, so sometimes it is just too tiring to go out. Depression is another symptom. Sometimes I do not want to go out because I might have to go to the bathroom andit is too difficult to walk across the room.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: This is just something you have to take ‘day by day’. Inevitably there will be times when natural exhaustion prevents any of us from simply enjoying some fresh air. And, I know only to well, how important it is to plan outings according to toilet locations :wink: xB

1 Like

Beryl, yes! I have to do that and it sucks!!!

If you want to do something about it, maybe speak to your neurologist, GP or ther medical person about help? They might have ideas. If you’re happy as you are, then don’t - it’s your choice