Memory issues

My memory has got so bad i often forget what day of the week it is. i often forget appointments which is only helped by constant reminders. Is memory issues a problem faced by others with cerebellar ataxia?

Hi

Iwas so worried about mine my srink sent me for sycometric testing so she had a base line to compare it too if it got warse I think is as much part of ataxia as anthing else. Others say "oh its age I have it" but its not the same.

I don’t know but I am sure suffering with it! Very frustrating. Have reminders in my phone to help me remember.

Not to my knowledge... however I think the stress of the condition does cause memory loss and even confusion.

For me, I say yes! I have no concrete evidence, just my own feelings and experiences. I am 37, so it's not old age! I lose my keys and phone almost every day. I can't remember anything from my childhood, other than pics to bring up some memories. I didn't have a good memory to begin with, but now it is BAD! I have to write lists all the time, notes on my calendar. It is so frustrating!!

Here is the evidence : http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Ataxia/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Scroll down to tbe paragraph "spinocerebellar Ataxia and read the symptoms.

To help you, you can try and play memory games on your computer, or buy a book dedicated to preventing memory loss. We need to use our brain as well as our body to keep them functioning properly. Remember the saying “use it or loose it…” ? Applies to everybody…

Best wishes

i would tell my neuro

I also feel I have memory problems starting. I find myself describing people or places or forget where I was drving too I do a lot of note reminders, I sometimes have an idea and 5 minutes later cant remember what the idea was.

Bob bird said:

Hi

Iwas so worried about mine my srink sent me for sycometric testing so she had a base line to compare it too if it got warse I think is as much part of ataxia as anthing else. Others say "oh its age I have it" but its not the same.

yeah, im only 32 so its obviously got nothing to do with age

Alex Downes said:

Bob bird said:

Hi

mmm ill trry to add reminders on my phone. i had to turn off my internet cos it was costing me so much

PG said:

I don't know but I am sure suffering with it! Very frustrating. Have reminders in my phone to help me remember.

Hmmm... maybe. I have trouble recalling words that I don't use every day; that "it's right on the tip of my tongue" feeling. I do forget where I put things sometimes. but isn't that normal. especially as the years go by?

My memory is getting worse slowly - but I can't convince my doctor.

Sharon#3sca said:

Hmmm... maybe. I have trouble recalling words that I don't use every day; that "it's right on the tip of my tongue" feeling. I do forget where I put things sometimes. but isn't that normal. especially as the years go by?

I also have trouble recognising faces. This is embarrassing sometimes. Once I was waiting at the bus stop minding my own business and a car pulled up in front of me.

"Would you like a lift?" said the cheerful driver.

I looked at him and then at his wife in the back seat.

"Sorry" I said "Do I know you?"

"Yes, we are your next door neighbours."

It wouldn't have been so bad if they had just moved in, but they had been there about 10 years.

..Dang!..for got my pass- word..;-)

hahaha thtas awesome mate. my memory isnt that bad but its just a matter of time i think.

My neuro has diagnosed me with some pre-frontal lobe involvement with my cerebellar ataxia. According to recent research, these two areas of the brain are much more closely aligned than was previously thought. I have issues with memory, problem solving, and spatial reasoning that I have to work around all the time.

Within the past year - increasingly worse i have had a problem with memory. Names of folks I know, things I have to do. Most common are what I call quickies. i went to a warehouse to pick up a saw blade. I walked around for 30 minutes and finally went out and got the note to see what i was I need to pick up.

I will be talking and forget what i was going to say mid sentence. People tell me to speak up. Several times during the conversation. My neurologist has told me it is common.

This for another discussion. They believe i have Parkinson's sneaking in. I have double vision now also. I am wearing glasses with prisms in them does the tric any

Ran I have problems with the eyes also, What are prisms. I got glasses with a coating FL-41 and it is very relaxing to the eyes.