If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it must have Ataxia

I'm constantly trying to adapt to my Ataxia so I do not injure myself. I use a walking aide to help me catch my balance when I stumble and I consciously point my feet more like a duck to give me more support,and think that I have to bend my knees. I now realize I sound like a duck at certain times which is funny sounding. I have tried to swallow my pride when I'm stared at and see that look on others face saying, "Whats wrong with him?"I need to do what I have to do, so Quack! My speech is like Daffy Duck :)

lol .. I presume if I have walking aid, people will know I walk that way for medical reasons!! ..but I am quackers ;o)

Patsy

keep the humor going I like it! I also have a little quack in my step. When using my cain i feel as if i walk that way. Oh well that's the least of my worries.

Love the humor side of you John gave me a laugh

My friend with Moror Neurone said he sounded like a donkey braying.Ha ha .I think I would be safer in a wheelchair as I have so many near falls.I just can't lift my feet high enough.I waddle like a duck too.

Marie

It's so hard when people have 'that' look. :-(

I have some allergies that require me to wear a little mask somewhat like a dental hygienist's, too. I swear, I feel like I should wear a sign that says 'drunk ninja' on it or something. Might as well laugh at it all, sometimes.

Or quack....or quack like a ninja! ^_^

lol.. yes - have to laugh at ourselves eh

Patsy

I am always trying to analyse my falls - they seem to be caused by lack of concentration [thought process] but it's the muscle rigidity which puzzles me. I can feel myself going [like you say Michael, in slow motion] but my rigid legs prevent me from recovering.

It's usually okay at home as I know what things I can tug on or fall on.

Patsy

I dread falling off the toilet when I get up.I may have to be rescued .The ultimate humilityand with your trousers down and all. I know what you mean Patsy.I can;t seem to lift my legs up to right myself so I fall and can't get up. I feel like a stranded bluebottle.I get very cross with anyone who leaves anything in my path. I can't even get over a pair of slippers.

Micheal I dread that awfufeelingl when you know you are going to fall and you can't right yourself. I'd rather fall and get it over and have a good laugh at myself.

Marie

Marie Turner said:

I dread falling off the toilet when I get up.I may have to be rescued .The ultimate humilityand with your trousers down and all. I know what you mean Patsy.I can;t seem to lift my legs up to right myself so I fall and can't get up. I feel like a stranded bluebottle.I get very cross with anyone who leaves anything in my path. I can't even get over a pair of slippers.

I know what you mean Michael. I 'd rarher fall and get it over with and have a good laugh at myself than that feeling when you know you are going to fall.

Marie

Micheal I dread that awfufeelingl when you know you are going to fall and you can't right yourself. I'd rather fall and get it over and have a good laugh at myself.

Marie

Marie

I have nightmares about toilets - I often use disabled toilet because they have handrail but... feel judged as I dont have wheelchair.

I hate people 'pulling' me to my feet - I usually say - no, give me a minute please.

Patsy

Advise to all: Never go to an elementary shcool and try sitting down on the toilet.

#1 It's a long ride to sit down..........really takes a toll on your balancing

#2 be prepared to call for help getting up

The worst part is...........falling on the floor is like sitting on top of iced cement.

oh no!!!! I always avoid their little chairs!

i fell 2010 and broke my ankle and i still can't walk from the ataxic sway. if i sound like a duck that's ok, i'd rather be walking. i don't know if that's possible but many get around in wheelchairs. do what you have to to prevent falling and breaking a bone.

When I was a teacher I couldn't avoid the little chairs but luckily i didn't have ataxia then.My first symptom was trying to teach PEand I couldn't demonstrate a balance on one leg.Don't know i'd cope now picking my way through children and all their stuff now.

Marie