Is pregnancy something i should consider?

I have never had children before and thought my boyfriend of 2* years didnt want kids. but then he changed his mind at the last minute. i was wondering if any of you ataxians had children? id be fearful of dropping the baby.

I think it depends on what ataxia you have ?

read an article yesterday and it cured the illness for a period of time, the article said this happens quite often with different illnesses. So there is maybe a good side to this story. Jerry
Lesleytailford said:

I think it depends on what ataxia you have ?

I didn’t see it sorry ? My partner has progressive cerebella ataxia so coordination not good that why I said depends which one Jerry !

I’m the mom of two girls I also have sca type 2. I didn’t know when I had my first but knew I had ataxia when I had my second. My fear was not dropping them but that I could pass it to them through genetics. They are the joy of mY life and they motivate me to stay active and healthy. I am glad I had them. Having kids is such a personal decision. It did make me very angery when a doctor said I should not have a second child. Do what you and your significant other thinks is right.

It may be one thing to become pregnant in the hope that the baby could help a sibling
but surely no-one would consider pregnancy as a possible, temporary release from ataxia
symptoms.

Being in charge of a newborn can be very tiring for someone in the best of health, try to
have a good support system in place if considering a pregnancy.

Depending on the type of ataxia, counselling is sometimes recommended.

Best wishes :slight_smile: xB

It is totally a personal decision. I'll tell you from my perspective. My daughter was about 2 when I was diagnosed with SCA. She is a remarkable help to me now. She's almost 9. She yearns for a sibling, but I made the decision not to have another. So many things go through my head. What if I drop the baby? bump it into a wall? I'm always tired, as it is. I just don't think I am capable of giving another child the wonderful life he/she deserves. That is my personal opinion though. Though my husband always wanted another, he wouldn't be doing the work to care for the child. It would be me 99% of the time. I am just not able to give that 99%. That is just me. You may have a totally different situation, where your partner is super supportive and helpful.

The CSA was never a consideration when I wanted children. Before my son was old enough to walk on his own I worried about the falling and tripping. Most of the time you learn to adapt yourself so you can hold/carry them. I became more cautious when I had to carry him. I did have a bad fall with my son in my arms and I protected him and he came out unhurt. I did have some bad cuts but he was unhurt.

I agree that having a baby is a personal decision that only you and your partner (and maybe with help from your doctor) can make. Babies are a joy for sure but it's a huge responsibility and can be very tiring (and you can't send them back!). To have a child in the hope of that slight chance to improve your own health would not be what you would want to have as a reason for a child to be born. My youngest was 17 when I first showed symptoms, so for me it's my grandchildren that I can't babysit for while they are little, for I too am afraid I might fall and hurt them, Talk it over very thoroughly and thoughtfully as it is one of the most important decisions you will make. Wishing you the very best...

Afterthought: Just one possible alternative should you decide not to become pregnant: Foster parenting can provide a way for you to give love and guidance to children who are so in need of someone to do that, No baby to fall on, etc.

We never had children, mainly as my ataxia is hereditary, 50% would get it. Also they are are a lifetime commitment. It is entirely a personal decision, are you able to give practically all your time to a baby?

I had two children and they were grown when I was diagnosed with ataxia. Of course I hope they never have to deal with ataxia, although it's a bit late for that wishful thinking. I also thinks it's a personal decision for you and your partner to make! I wouldn't change the fact that I had children, inspite of my ataxia now and the possibility that one or both of them may have to deal with it someday, as they are the joy of my life. I, like Sharon, can't babysit my grandchildren alone when they are infants, as I don't trust myself to carry them. But, my dear husband (papa) helps with that, so all's good! Where there's a will, there's a way! My best to you both..., ;o)

My partner has just been diagnosed with cerebellar atrophy and dystonia. we have 3 children between us...the youngest has just turned two. i wouldnt want to put you off in any way as becoming a parent is something very beautiful. we enjoy all of our children and they drive us mad at times too. my partner really struggles with our two year old because they are so active at this age. if he goes out with him, he needs an extra pair of hands to catch him if he runs off and just to generally deal with him at all levels. prior to diagnosis he kind of half dropped our wee boy twice and although on good days he will pick him up occassionally, he tends not too for fear of dropping and hurting him or just because his muscles and joints are too sore to do it. we've had to adapt to this but it certainly doesnt stop us loving our little family. we don't have the full diagnosis of ataxia type yet but have just had blood tests done today to check type. quite possibly hereditary! it's a big decision to make and quite possibly made harder if you have a hereditary ataxia, but as other members have said it is a personal choice. x

I am currently 30 weeks pregnant with my husband of 3 and a half years, was diagnosed with FA roughly 10 years ago. Not exactly planned, I don't expect it to be easy nor do I have any belief in relief of ataxia symptoms, I think it's a bit of a silly idea tbh. However am currently happy and comfortable with the idea albiet (naturally) concerned about the future. I think if you want to and if it feels right to you, you'll find a way around the obstacles.

I’ve have cerebella ataxia since I was 8 years old and I’m now 49. I had a daughter whose now 17 years old and it gave me strength to cope

I think if you would like to have a baby you should go ahead and have one. Have faith that you can get along some how and dont worry just do it.

Thats some thing I fear as well. But I was told when I was told I had ataxia that it was a 90 percent chance I would pass it on to my child. Thats scary too.

I knew I had my family's dominant ataxia at 27, was diagnosed at 28, and had my first and only child last year at 37. I had to use a wheelchair for the first week after he was born, but I slowly recovered and am now back to my normal. With NO help from the stupid doctors, who had no idea how to help me. I can walk, run, etc most days. I'm still in grad school, although I'm on full disability. My son could have what I have. So what if he does? It's offensive to think that it wouldn't be worth it to have him just because he might have my ataxia.

I understand why I was advised not to get pregnant. Physically it was really, really hard. I advise taking a one-mile walk every day throughout pregnancy, no matter how crappy you feel, and don't let yourself gain more than 30-40 lbs. Otherwise you won't be able to move. But yeah you can do it and it's worth it. I don't know why I waited so long to have him. Dudes usually THINK they don't want kids but they can't get enough of their little man or little princess once they have one.

Do your girls show symptoms of SCA2? I ask because my husband has this and we are about to have our second child and I worry so much that it could get passed on.

Renee said:

I'm the mom of two girls I also have sca type 2. I didn't know when I had my first but knew I had ataxia when I had my second. My fear was not dropping them but that I could pass it to them through genetics. They are the joy of mY life and they motivate me to stay active and healthy. I am glad I had them. Having kids is such a personal decision. It did make me very angery when a doctor said I should not have a second child. Do what you and your significant other thinks is right.