L-serine for ataxia

Someone recently told me that ALS patients sometimes take L-serine and it helps. does anyone take it for ataxia?

BenO

1 Like

I am about 10 years into a cerabellar ataxia, diagnosed last year. My neurologist recently prescribed Amantadine HCL 50/5 oral solution for my walking and balance issues and it does modestly help. No way is this a cure, so don’t get too excited, but I am enjoying the modest benefits. My prescription is “take 10 ml by mouth,twice a day”. Are other members taking this solution, this dosage, and finding it helpful?

my neurologist recommended L-tryptophan which I found to be sold as https://www.naturesbest.co.uk/herbs-spices/5htp-tablets-100mg/
The full name of 5 HTP is 5-Hydroxytryptophan, which is a natural compound that our bodies make from the amino acid, tryptophan. 5-HTP is converted in the brain, into serotonin, which acts as a brain chemical messenger.
Which sounds similar to what you mention. I have been taking it at night for a few weeks but it’s difficult to judge its effects. We all have good days and bad days. I have faith in it though.

1 Like