LIFE WITH ATAXIA - a different perspecive

THE CLIFF'S NOTES OF LEARNING ABOUT ATAXIA......

If you are new and inexperienced, this will make things easier. If you are a veteran on this journey, this will change some ideas and misconceptions. If you are tired of the endless maze of confusion that you get from forums and social media, and biased opinions that come from everywhere and usually stem from those who haven't a clue, you should seriously consider this.

Having ataxia is a long journey. The diagnosis is scary and frustrating. Anxiety, depression, confusion, and fear, can take over in a heartbeat. You can't fight an enemy if you don't understand it or know what it can do.

Right now, there is NO effective treatment. The only weapon is knowledge. You have to live and function

Arm yourself.....this can help!!!!

How do I add you as a friend please?

Always great posts, Jonas! Thanks for being so matter of fact! The only way to survive this world In my opinion… Find the facts, face them and go head on and beat the beast :-)…
Thank you for being so positive! Keep posting, please. Take care.

JuliePerks, click on Jonas’ picture, on the left, under his profile,click on “add as a friend”. After he accepts, you will be able to send him a message.

Cicina

Yes! Just found this :-) Everyone POST anything that you feel will stimulate this wonderful forum into thinkin'," Hey,this is for real and it ain't gonna go no where."Thanks man :-)<

Hi. New here. How can we be the best support possible to our sister/sister in law (age 62) who is dealing with increasing symptoms and has the additional stress of family illness? She is an incredibly bright and loving person and has a wonderfully supportive husband who is older than she is. We live a distance apart. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jonas, thank you. I needed that!

latina

I don't find any doctors that even try to do any trouble shooting to either find out what is wrong so you can be diagnosed. I would like to have a doctor at least try to help with what is happening but what I get is if I ask to try something I am told that's for Parkinsons disease or MS so if you don't have a diagnosis you screwed. I am glad these doctors are not my auto mechanics, the would be out of business or out of a job.

I would keep trying to find the right doctor. You and your doctor should work as partners, if he's not willing to do that then keep looking. YOU pay him to help YOU. He doesn't pay you. There is no cure for ataxia but you should have someone on your side. There may not be a test for those diseases so that means they have done all the other testing to rule those out. They come to those conclusions when they have ruled everything else out.

gelu65 said:

I don't find any doctors that even try to do any trouble shooting to either find out what is wrong so you can be diagnosed. I would like to have a doctor at least try to help with what is happening but what I get is if I ask to try something I am told that's for Parkinsons disease or MS so if you don't have a diagnosis you screwed. I am glad these doctors are not my auto mechanics, the would be out of business or out of a job.